How many different Copenhagen / Skoal knives are out there?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Meridian_Mike

How many different Copenhagen / Skoal knives are out there?

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Just when I thought I had the Copenhagen / Skoal knives figured out... I see another one with the Skoal shield.

SO... I am going to post mine and if y'all have a different one....PLEASE post it.

Here is a Cope LB5 I just found last week.....
COPE LB5.jpg
And I have a Cope peanut......
COPE peanut.jpg
And I have this Stockman......
COPE stockman.jpg
SO.... What y'all got? (I'm talking about the Schrade ones now...)
Y'all post yours and let's see if we can find out how many variations exist.
(after I post this thread, there better not be a list some where....LOL)

Mike
:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Meridian_Mike

Re: How many different Copenhagen / Skoal knives are out there?

Post by Meridian_Mike »

OK... dawg gone it.... I found the list....

viewtopic.php?t=23377

SO... still, lets see y'all post some pics of yours.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Mike, I thought you had most everything until I saw the list. Wow, you have an endeavor ahead of you. ::tu:: ::tu::
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Here a couple for you.

Grant
Attachments
P1030799.JPG
P1030800.JPG
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

doglegg wrote:Mike, I thought you had most everything until I saw the list. Wow, you have an endeavor ahead of you. ::tu:: ::tu::
Yep, I thought there was just 5 or 6.... BOY was I WRONG.... ::facepalm::
(edit.... actually after studying the list, there is only about a dozen of each if you eliminate all the different blade etches)

And Grant... that top one you posted.... I have seen it a time or 2. It's on my want list.
Thanks for posting!

::tu::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Not in my collection.... YET.... LOL....
BUT....
Here is an observation... (I am still learning about these so please excuse)

There is a Copenhagen shield (black scales) and a Skoal shield (green scales)...
skoal-copenhagen-pocket-knives-C194.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

In the old science fiction movies the blob that no one knew what it was always kept getting bigger until it consumed them. I get that feeling sometimes with knives. ::nod:: ::nod::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

doglegg wrote:In the old science fiction movies the blob that no one knew what it was always kept getting bigger until it consumed them. I get that feeling sometimes with knives. ::nod:: ::nod::
LOL.... ain't it the truth!!
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Here's one that Herman put together
SCHRADE COENHAGEN with STAG CUT BONE  (1).JPG
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Oh WOW... Now that is a beauty!

Thanks for showing!
Mike
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I took the list that was provided to us by thawk (Hal) back in 2011 and I abbreviated it down to only the basic patterns.
The list isn't quite as daunting when its boiled down to only 19 knives. (Still, some of those are listed as only 500 produced)...

Here is the "Mikie's abbreviated list of Copes and Skoals"....

A BASIC list of Schrade USA Cope and Skoal SFO knives made for US Tobacco.

COPE5 - Black sawcut Delrin handle, brass bolsters, "Copenhagen Snuff" etched clip blade, antiqued brass "Copenhagen" coined shield, Ship Jan. 1995 -1,500 pcs.

SK5 - Lockback w/ green sawcut Delrin handle, Brass bolsters, "SKOAL" etched high carbon blade, antiqued brass coined "SKOAL" handle shield, Ship 1 /2 1995 -1,500 pcs.

COPE7 - Event enhancement knife, LB-7 pattern w/ smooth black Delrin handle, brass bolsters, blued 24K gold filled "Copenhagen" etch blade, antiqued brass "Copenhagen" shield, display box w/ glass lid, burgundy insert, Ship 12/2/94 - 400 pcs. And 500 pieces of another event (900 total made)

COPE8 - SG8, "COPE SG8 tangstamp, Black handle with molded "Copenhagen" shield on both sides in antiqued brass, Ship 6/1/97 - 5,000 pcs.

COPE12 - 12OT pattern w/ black sawcut Delrin handles, brass bolsters, antiqued brass shield, "SCHRADE / COPE USA" tangstamp, Copenhagen blade etch, Ship 1/2 by 1/15/94 - 50,000 pcs.

COPE33 - Black Sawcut Delrin handle, brass bolsters, special scalloped high carbon sheepfoot blade with can opening tip, "Copenhagen Snuff" etched high carbon clip blade, antiqued brass copenhagen shield, Schrade / Cope USA tangstamp COPE33, Ship Start Jan. 1995 - 100,000 pcs.

SK36 - Green sawcut Delrin handle, Brass bolsters, "SKOAL" etched high carbon locking clip blade, spey blade and leather bore, antiqued brass coined "SKOAL" handle shield, Ship 1 /2 1995 - 1,500 pcs.

SK72 - sawcut Delrin handle, Brass bolsters, "SKOAL" etched high carbon clip blade, antiqued brass coined "SKOAL" handle shield, Ship 1 /2 1995 - 1,500 pcs.

COPE89 - 89OT pattern w/ black sawcut Delrin handles, brass bolsters, antiqued brass Copenhagen shield, "SCHRADE / COPE USA" tangstamp, Copenhagen blade etch, Ship Feb. 1994 - 5,000 pcs.

SK89 - 89 pattern, green Sawcut Delrin, brass bolsters, "SKOAL" etched high carbon clip blade, scalloped sheepfoot blade, spey blade, antiqued brass coined "SKOAL" handle shield. (QTY...???)

SK96 - 96OTS w/ green Delrin Handles, C/S blades, "SKOAL 96" tang stamp, coined antiqued brass shield, brass bolsters Ship 6/1/97 - 5,000 pcs.

SK142 - 142OT pattern w/ "SKOAL 142" tangstamp, custom molded "SKOAL" shield in place of "Old Timer", (part of 2 pc. set with SK147), Ship 6/1/97 - 5,000 pcs.

SK147 - 147OT pattern w/ "SKOAL 147" tangstamp, custom molded "SKOAL" shield in place of "Old Timer", (part of 2 pc. set with SK142), Ship 6/1/97 - 5,000 pcs.

SK154 - 154 pattern w/ green Sawcut Delrin handles, "SKOAL" etch, antiqued brass coined "SKOAL" shield, 1/2/95 - 1,500 pcs.

COPE165 - 165OT pattern w/ smooth black Delrin handle, brass guard and butt, antiqued brass Copenhagen handle Shield, black etch "Copenhagen Snuff", Start Ship 1/2/95 – (ONLY 500 pcs.)

COPE194 - 194OT pattern w/ black sawcut Delrin handles, brass bolsters, antiqued brass Copenhagen shield, "SCHRADE / COPE USA" tangstamp, Copenhagen blade etch, Ship Feb. 1994 - 5,000 pcs.

SK194 - Green sawcut Delrin handle, Brass bolsters, "SKOAL" etched high carbon locking clip blade, antiqued brass coined "SKOAL" handle shield, Ship 1 /2 1995 - 1,500 pcs.

COPE296 - 296 pattern w/ 24K baron gold etch, "COPE 296" tangstamp, fibron winewood handle, antiqued N.S. "Copenhagen" shield, serialized, N.S. bolsters, wooden 2 pc hinged box, 1,500 pcs.

COPE877 - Black sawcut Delrin handle, high carbon "Copenhagen Snuff" etched gut hook blade, antiqued brass "Copenhagen" coined shield, Ship Jan. 1995 - 1,500 pcs.

Mike
:shock:
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I only have one true Skoal knife. The SK5.
I have been focused on the Smokey Mtn. Knife Works SFO spinoffs on the Skoal knives. Shown are the ones that I have. A boxed set and two singles. Not shown is a SK154 spinoff with a Schrade shield instead of a Skoal shield made for SMKW. I'm still looking for a Sk36 spinoff, if there is such an animal, to go with my SMKW knives.
Attachments
LB5 SK5 Skoal (2).jpg
wSmokey Mtn. Knife SFO Green.JPG
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Another cope just joined my stable....
I am going to have to try to figure out why some of these come in a nice "all dolled up" box and some come in a plain wrapper.

Here is my latest... the end of the box reads... "COPE 877".
s-l1600.jpg
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I don't know if anyone is interested but they made a spinoff of your COPE 877 with a Schrade shield too. That's a very cool knife!
Attachments
877UH LTD Cope USA.jpg
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Well heck yeah, that is just too cool. They must have had a shield made so they could use the Cope parts they had made up.
Glad you posted that one!

Thanks
Mike
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Meridian_Mike wrote:Well heck yeah, that is just too cool. They must have had a shield made so they could use the Cope parts they had made up.
Glad you posted that one!

Thanks
Mike

I think you're right about the custom shield on that one. That is the only COPE spinoff I've seen and know nothing about it. I think I saved that pic from ebay? The oval Schrade shields on the Skoal spinoffs I believe came from the 1997 Heritage collection. But I don't know which came first, the Skoal SMKW spinoff knives or the Heritage knives. From the info you posted, Skoal came out in '95. Did Schrade use a custom SMKW shield on their '97 Heritage? Or did SMKW use the Heritage shields on their SFO spinoff? Maybe Schrade found a way to unload a bunch of spare Skoal parts on SMKW? I've seen the oval shield used on other oddball knives too. More Schrade curiosity. LOL
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Yep, lots of questions there.
A knife with a Copenhagen shield had to be bought by the tobacco company and marketed through them (I would think). As an example, If there was 10,000 parts knives produced and only 5,000 bought by the tobacco co., then Schrade had a lot of material to try to find a use for.
That was my thinking for using the Cope shaped shields.
Must not be very many out there...... Your pic is the first I have seen.

Mike
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I got my first Skoal knife on the way.
It is a SK194 Trapper.
SK194 gunstock trapper linerlock.jpg
Still need several more to put a collection of these together. If y'all want to help...
Take a lookie here...

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=59710

Mike
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

I believe there were only 500 of these made...this one is S# 418
SCHRADE FILLET KNIFE.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Oh WOW....
That is a really cool one! Never would have figured they would have made a dog gone fillet knife!
Thanks for adding to the thread!

Mike
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I thought you might want to add these Skoal Bandit knives to your list. The wood appears to be birds eye maple. First time I have seen these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223311772109?ul_noapp=true
Attachments
s-l1600QUJWIMCE.jpg
s-l16000PI8YJ4Y.jpg
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Dang sure does look like Birds Eye Maple....... Man, those are some nice ones.
Thanks for adding to the thread!

Mike
fnfarms1

Post by fnfarms1 »

I have the SK#5, SK# 194, SK#36, C#5, C#194, and C#89 and these special lids. In this particular promotion we got all the knives offered. None have ever been used or carried, all in original cardboard boxes. I’m not a guy that typically believes in safe queens on my guns etc, I think it’s the fact that these were part of my Dad that I keep them like I do.
Attachments
45C586F5-EF9A-4E65-9ACE-D786EB58AEF0.jpeg
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Nice collection and a great keepsake!

rogakron

Post by rogakron »

New to forum, bought a Schrade Copenhagen 72-OT, Black Delrin Handle's, Copenhagen shield, Copenhagen Etched Blade. Usually Schrade Copenhagen and Skoal knives are tang stamped COPE USA or Skoal USA, this example is marked Schrade over USA 72-OT. Also in all my Blade forum research I can find no mention of a Copenhagen 72 (72-OT Dog Leg Jack), nothing on all the lists of COPE & Skoal knives made by Schrade posted on forums by members, although plenty of information on the Skoal SK-72. Also no information can be found on Google searches about a Copenhagen 72 version, except for the one I just bought on ebay, it shows up on PicClick site if you Google Schrade Copenhagen 72-OT, red background behind knife. Sorry am new and haven't learned to post pics, but you can Google it and see knife till I learn how. Need help finding out why I can find no info on a Copenhagen 72-OT anywhere

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”