What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
RalphAlsip

Re: What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Post by RalphAlsip »

Greg and Roland, thank you for the encouragement. I'm sure GEC has actual knife designers who have creative talent and knife construction knowledge and experience. There is not much creativity or inspiration involved in the photo editing that I'm doing which is cropping the blades of off one 79 pattern and pasting them on another.
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

remake of the acrylic 2 blade congress #61 - super little knife
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I agree. The 61 is very fine pattern, especially in the 2 blade Half Congress.
kj
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

KJ, please consider my earlier post in this thread regarding barlows to be barlow musing only. What I really want GEC to make would have to be broken into three categories: work knife, EDC, and collectible. My wishes are as follows:

For a work knife, I would like to see a #35 F&F Calf Pen variant, but with a straight clip and large sheepsfoot, and no liner lock. The middle separator flat head screwdriver can stay. Without the liner lock this would be a little thinner than the original Calf Pen, and the substitution of the straight clip for one-arm blade would increase pocketability and marketability. For covers I'd like to see black, maroon, and red linen micarta options.

For EDC, I really need two knives: a #77 single straight clip, and a #09 Esquire with a sheepsfoot main and pen secondary. Why not just carry a stockman? Well, because to get the size clip blade I'm looking for I would need a larger stockman, which would not be as thin as I would like. Thinness has become more important to me lately, and a #77 clip single would be the sweet spot for blade size and overall thinness. A #09 with a sheepsfoot main would give the perfect size utility knife and the ideal size pen blade, IMO. Of course I'd want matching cover materials, and GEC has done lots of nice candidates in the past: sawcut caramel bone, or perhaps blue giraffe bone would be awesome. Antique ivory paper micarta would also be a very classy option for these two matching knives.

For the collectible category, my one wish would be a duplicate of the famous Northwoods Fremont Jack in blue mammoth ivory. (KSF pic, not mine)
mammoth_ivory_fremont_jack.jpg
- Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Good post Lee. Well thought out. Thanks.
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

I've been wanting them to build a Jumbo Jack, I'm hoping the 86 coming out this year will have the girth of a Jumbo, it's got the length at 3 7/8".

Empire Jumbo and a 77.
Attachments
IMG_9799.jpg
IMG_9801.jpg
IMG_9802.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

JohnR, that's a good idea. A 3 7/8" frame could be another slender Trapper or Jack and be not that different from previous knives of this size.
But if they make a stout jack, well rounded handles and a master blade of thicker stock, a "Jumbo" jack, it would be distinct from any pattern they have offered so far.
What about emailing your suggestion re: Jumbo jack please to GEC ?
kj
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

This is a Rough Rider. I love the pattern. The main blade locks open. You press the secondary to release the main.
I would love to see GEC make one like this.
Attachments
20190106_163036.jpg
20190106_163015.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

kootenay joe wrote:JohnR, that's a good idea. A 3 7/8" frame could be another slender Trapper or Jack and be not that different from previous knives of this size.
But if they make a stout jack, well rounded handles and a master blade of thicker stock, a "Jumbo" jack, it would be distinct from any pattern they have offered so far.
What about emailing your suggestion re: Jumbo jack please to GEC ?
kj

Roland, I have talked to Bill at the Rendezvous about doing Jumbo's and last year he spent some time looking at my vintage ones, liked the knives but did not think they would sell. Thats why I was kind of surprised to see the new 86 frame, a Jumbo could be easily built on that. I think Jumbo's would sell quite well.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

When you look at knife catalogs from before WW II you see many patterns, a wide range of sizes and handle materials. I would like to see GEC make a wider range of distinct patterns. Many of the GEC patterns resemble each other closely, e.g. compare the various #77's with the #78's, slight difference in front bolster shape is the difference.
So i agree with JohnR: let's go for 'more different', be brave, do a run of Jumbo Jacks. People will buy them. They are GEC. We love GEC.
kj
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

A slimline trapper single blade with a spey no shield jigged white bone!
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Oh, and I'd like to see more H10 small Bowie fixed blades. And more bottle openers, with bone handles, please. Skip the acrylics, please. I guess I went way over a "knife" wish, and probably exceeded my allotment of "knives" wishes!

Speaking of fixed blades, did anyone see the steak knives that they ran in 2018 up for sale anywhere? I never saw or heard anything about them after the production pics and "GEC Illustrated" cover.

- Lee
Ajd3530

Post by Ajd3530 »

kootenay joe wrote:I agree. The 61 is very fine pattern, especially in the 2 blade Half Congress.
kj
I have a #61 and I enjoy it, but my #13 Clerk is twice the knife the #61 half congress is. And at only 1/4" longer.

That said, I sure would like to see some more #62s produced.
Ajd3530

Post by Ajd3530 »

I personally would love to see the #35 pattern in a stockman configuration, preferably in stainless.

Also think a #14 flipped around version (like the #79 is of the #78) in a single spring, opposite end pen knife would be really neat.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

How about something affordable,
and in enough numbers that anybody can actually get one .....

::huff::

yes, I know ..... blasphemy ....
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The GEC knives start at around $80. I think this is "affordable" by most.And with the last few runs GEC has staggered the releases and this has led to the knives being available for up to a week or longer for some. The availability now is much improved from a year ago and longer.
kj
Ajd3530

Post by Ajd3530 »

Agreed. If somebody wants endless supply of slipjoints at $40-60, that's what Case is for. With that comes average fit and finish and sometimes questionable QC.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ajd, can you post a pic of a 61 & a 13 together so we can see the size comparison ? I have a 61 but no #13.
kj
Ajd3530

Post by Ajd3530 »

I stand corrected. The #13 and #61 are pretty much identical in length, (#61 might actually be a fraction of a MM longer) but the #13 brings half an inch more main blade to the table (#13 2 7/8" #61 2 3/8".) In terms of actual cutting edge, according to the 'ol calipers, the #61 has 2.15" and the #13 has 2.6".

I also think the #13 feels better in hand. But that's all personal preference.
Attachments
20190217_132140.jpg
20190217_132221.jpg
20190217_132343.jpg
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Ajd3530 wrote:I personally would love to see the #35 pattern in a stockman configuration, preferably in stainless.

Also think a #14 flipped around version (like the #79 is of the #78) in a single spring, opposite end pen knife would be really neat.
::tu:: Your suggestion of the "flipped" #14 is what I had in mind with the #09 Esquire. At 2-7/8" the 09 is very close to the 3" size of the 14. I'm also a fan of the #35. I think GEC could produce endless variations on the 35 frame. Every time I carry my Vic Alox Soldier or Electrician I think of the possibilities GEC could realize on the #35.

Regarding your opinion of the #13: I don't own a congress knife nor have I handled one, but I know it's a traditional pattern. Can you comment on what you like about the congress shape? You mentioned it feels good in hand, but I don't see the utility in the shape. GEC made a #13 in a sheepsfoot main with a pen secondary, which is the blade configuration I'm looking for in a smallish knife to pair with a medium clip single. But I'm on the fence about the congress pattern. I recently got a Case stockman with square bolsters that actually dig into my palm during use. Do you find the congress square bolsters to be ergonomic?

-Lee
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

m0nk wrote:I'm also a fan of the #35. I think GEC could produce endless variations on the 35 frame. Every time I carry my Vic Alox Soldier or Electrician I think of the possibilities GEC could realize on the #35.

-Lee
I would LOVE to see a 35 cattle knife.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:I would LOVE to see a 35 cattle knife.
Paul, are you thinking something like this? :) This is a photoshop mock up. The nail nick on the sheepsfoot would probably be facing toward the back on a real knife.
Attachments
GEC 35 Cattle Knife Mock Up.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

RalphAlsip wrote:
KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:I would LOVE to see a 35 cattle knife.
Paul, are you thinking something like this? :) This is a photoshop mock up. The nail nick on the sheepsfoot would probably be facing toward the back on a real knife.
That would be great. Nice photoshop. I prefer a 3rd blade but I'd buy one with a punch too.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Ajd3530

Post by Ajd3530 »

m0nk wrote:
Ajd3530 wrote:I personally would love to see the #35 pattern in a stockman configuration, preferably in stainless.

::tu:: Your suggestion of the "flipped" #14 is what I had in mind with the #09 Esquire. At 2-7/8" the 09 is very close to the 3" size of the 14. I'm also a fan of the #35. I think GEC could produce endless variations on the 35 frame. Every time I carry my Vic Alox Soldier or Electrician I think of the possibilities GEC could realize on the #35.

Regarding your opinion of the #13: I don't own a congress knife nor have I handled one, but I know it's a traditional pattern. Can you comment on what you like about the congress shape? You mentioned it feels good in hand, but I don't see the utility in the shape. GEC made a #13 in a sheepsfoot main with a pen secondary, which is the blade configuration I'm looking for in a smallish knife to pair with a medium clip single. But I'm on the fence about the congress pattern. I recently got a Case stockman with square bolsters that actually dig into my palm during use. Do you find the congress square bolsters to be ergonomic?

-Lee
Lee,

I hadn't realized the #09 Esquire was that size, I had always thought it was in the 2 5/8 range like the Pembertons .

To me, granted I do not have especially large hands, the #13 presents no problems in hand. I find its gentle curve fits in quite well along the base of my fingers. Its bolsters are slightly pinched, and I've never had any problems in the pocket with it. It is far more pocket friendly than the Northfiled #61s.
Attachments
20190220_174428.jpg
20190220_174443.jpg
20190220_175656.jpg
20190220_175752.jpg
20190220_180952.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

m0nk wrote:

-Lee
Lee, I have several Congresses and I do find them awkward to use and some blades nearly impossible to open. I don’t have a GEC Congress to compare. I have several Case, Boker, Green River, S&M, H&R and others I can’t remember. The Schatt and Morgan is the easiest to open and the easiest on the hands to use. The bolsters are a bit smoother on the ends too.
I found that with Congresses it’s a good idea to try and handle them first before you buy.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”