Barlow Returns!!

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
jmh58

Barlow Returns!!

Post by jmh58 »

CASE has returned the Barlow to standard production.. Saw a few over at SHC site.. Got 1 on my radar.. ::nod:: ::tu::
John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
SteelMyHeart85420

Re: Barlow Returns!!

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

That's long overdue...now, if they make nice (non-SMKW-looking, guady scales) it can be even better
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds::

::groove::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

What pattern number are they or how long are they when closed? Also what company is SHC?
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Modern Slip Joints wrote:What pattern number are they or how long are they when closed? Also what company is SHC?
This should answer all three of your questions:
http://www.shepherdhillscutlery.com/Pat ... rnAutoID=3
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Modern Slip Joints wrote:What pattern number are they or how long are they when closed? Also what company is SHC?
The most recent Case Barlows are pattern x2009 (x2009 1/2 for clip master blade), 3 3/8" closed length. Technically there could be a x1009 (1/2) but one-blade 009 Barlows seem to be rarer than hen's teeth, if in fact any exist.

With any luck they will run some more 62009R (one-armed man or "razor" blade) which I don't think we've seen from Case since the early '70s. ::paranoid:: ::smirk:: Make red sawcut bone great again! :mrgreen:

SHC I believe is Shepherd Hills Cutlery, a knife retailer.
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

I never thought I'd see a patriotic kirinite Case barlow ... very cool ::tu::
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Tsar Bomba wrote:
The most recent Case Barlows are pattern x2009 (x2009 1/2 for clip master blade), 3 3/8" closed length. Technically there could be a x1009 (1/2) but one-blade 009 Barlows seem to be rarer than hen's teeth, if in fact any exist.

With any luck they will run some more 62009R (one-armed man or "razor" blade) which I don't think we've seen from Case since the early '70s. ::paranoid:: ::smirk:: Make red sawcut bone great again! :mrgreen:

SHC I believe is Shepherd Hills Cutlery, a knife retailer.
I avoid following links from one site to another so I went directly to Shepherd Hills Cutlery. I found both 62009 1/2 and 61009 listed as being back ordered. I assume that they sold a significant number of 61009 spear point Barlows while they had them. Is it only the clip point 61009 1/2 that you haven't been able to find?
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

The Case® Barlow, a traditional favorite, will be previewed to the public at the 2019 SHOT Show, taking place in Las Vegas from January 22 – 25.

^^ This taken directly from the SHC web page.
All 7 knives on the page are "backordered", so I would presume
they will not release any of them until after (or during) the SHOT Show ....

Looks like they're taking a page from GEC's bullsnot selling tactics ...... ::td::

This is purely speculation on my part, based solely on the available information.
Feel free to dispute this theory.

Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Any time CASE takes a knife out of the vault they debut it at the Shot Show then it hits the market..
Don't know what you mean by "GEC bullsnot selling tactics" ?? ::shrug:: GEC makes limited amount of a run.. CASE does not do this..

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

In case anyone besides me is up and checking emails this morning, Shepherd Hills Cutlery is taking orders on the Pilot Test Run Barlow. 2 blades and natural smooth bone. Better hurry, the last pilot test run I saw ran out in under 1/2 hour.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thanks for the heads up, ordered one of the blue Rogers bone with single Spear blade from Shepherd Hills; been needing that variation of barlow and I like the bolster etch as well. OH
Attachments
Case 61009SS Barlow item #2867.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

FYI, CK has these on earlier reserve and they are a bit less expensive than Shepherd Hills. But Shepherd Hills got the Pilot test run of the smooth natural bone. I don’t see those at CK.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:FYI, CK has these on earlier reserve and they are a bit less expensive than Shepherd Hills. But Shepherd Hills got the Pilot test run of the smooth natural bone. I don’t see those at CK.
SSk
Thank You!! ::handshake:: Just put the Amber Bone on buy!! ::tu::

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Old Hunter wrote:Thanks for the heads up, ordered one of the blue Rogers bone with single Spear blade from Shepherd Hills; been needing that variation of barlow and I like the bolster etch as well. OH
I like everything about that one too. Resisting the urge because I don't really need any new knives. Sure is nice though.

The SHC website has me confused. In the header they state that these will be "previewed to the public" at the SHOT Show in January yet they state that this model and some others are shipping this week. ::shrug:: Anybody know what that's all about?
Rick T.

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Rick, I’m confused too, but if it shows next week I’ll be sure to tell! OH
Ps. And post pictures!
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Old Hunter wrote:Rick, I’m confused too, but if it shows next week I’ll be sure to tell! OH
Ps. And post pictures!
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Rick T.

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Railsplitter wrote:
Old Hunter wrote:Thanks for the heads up, ordered one of the blue Rogers bone with single Spear blade from Shepherd Hills; been needing that variation of barlow and I like the bolster etch as well. OH
I like everything about that one too. Resisting the urge because I don't really need any new knives. Sure is nice though.

The SHC website has me confused. In the header they state that these will be "previewed to the public" at the SHOT Show in January yet they state that this model and some others are shipping this week. ::shrug:: Anybody know what that's all about?
I think the Pilot Test Run smooth natural bone is shipping the first week of January. The rest are going to be released in Jan and maybe some in February. If CK and SHC have them for sale, I don’t think you will have any trouble getting ahold of one of these. With the exception of the pilot test run, that one will be limited. And it is no longer listed as available on SHC website. Two are showing that they will ship this week, don’t think I would take “this week” literally. The navy bone and the Caribbean blue bone are the two. I am holding out to buy the curly maple and the bonestag along w/ the natural smooth bone I already ordered. I learned a long time ago that when you can get the 1st production or pilot test run from Case, you are wise to buy those.
SSk
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

This is what CK has to say on their Early Reserves page for the Case 2019 Barlow run:
These are all TruSharp and essentially as-pictured. They are not taking orders until Shot Show (end of January); so I don’t really have a delivery date and details are subject to change.

But I think we have enough information to offer reservations on them.
Anticipated prices are also listed on the Early Reserves page. There is no Test Pilot run available through CK.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Just picked a 2 blade pilot test run off of EBay, there were 4 of them and they were going fast.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

My Case 61009 SS Blue Rogers Barlow came yesterday, I was very surprised because I never got a shipment notice from Shepherd Hills Cutlery - I thought SHC was still waiting on Case to manufacture the knife. Those folks don't mess around with a knife order! The blades have very nice W&T (a snappy "6" both ways), nice F&F, an even deep blue color on evenly jigged bone (in my pictures the pile side color is correct - the mark side color is darker in the picture than in reality). Backspring pressure is even on open and on close (this knife has half-stops). Blade is "using sharp" right out of the box; box marked as packaged on 12/13/18 but tang is stamped for 2019. The bolster stamp is very smooth (only black in the picture - I don't think it is your everyday etch if it is an etch). Case did themselves proud on this re-introduction of the traditional Case Barlow - there is nothing not to like about his knife! Happy New Year! OH
Attachments
IMG_2369.jpg
IMG_2371.jpg
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

That's a real beauty, Bruce! I seem to recall you have a fondness for Case blue bone, and that is a fine example.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thanks Mike! You recall correctly, I used to collect blue bone Case pocketknives- not avidly anymore but if I buy a modern Case and blue bone is a choice, that’s the one I pick. By the way, this knife has great action, been using it all day. Cut the pork roast from the package, been opening boxes in my shop, etc. OH
Attachments
D422CD7A-D645-4BE6-A119-742DD0F0C854.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Old Hunter wrote:My Case 61009 SS Blue Rogers Barlow came yesterday, I was very surprised because I never got a shipment notice from Shepherd Hills Cutlery - I thought SHC was still waiting on Case to manufacture the knife. Those folks don't mess around with a knife order! The blades have very nice W&T (a snappy "6" both ways), nice F&F, an even deep blue color on evenly jigged bone (in my pictures the pile side color is correct - the mark side color is darker in the picture than in reality). Backspring pressure is even on open and on close (this knife has half-stops). Blade is "using sharp" right out of the box; box marked as packaged on 12/13/18 but tang is stamped for 2019. The bolster stamp is very smooth (only black in the picture - I don't think it is your everyday etch if it is an etch). Case did themselves proud on this re-introduction of the traditional Case Barlow - there is nothing not to like about his knife! Happy New Year! OH
Wow Bruce that is one nice looking knife. Now I’m excited about the mail coming. Hopefully my natural smooth bone Barlow will be here today.
I am really fond of Rogers jigging, and that one is really well done.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

My natural smooth bone 2 blade Barlow came today. This is much better looking in person than in the photos. The photos on SHC’s website had me questioning whether I should buy this one, but now that I have it, I am glad I did. The natural smooth bone is speckled w/ black flecks in the natural bone, it is top notch. Really glad this is back in production.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5025.jpeg
IMG_5026.jpeg
IMG_5027.jpeg

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”