Got my first Peanut today

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
NapalmSloth

Got my first Peanut today

Post by NapalmSloth »

Got my first Peanut today. The wife and I went down town and looked around in some antique stores. Then we went to a “junk” store. This guy had everything. He even had one whole section of old electronic test equipment, some of it US Government.
I asked if he had any pocket knives. He said yes and that he would be right back. He came back with a all stainless Swiss Army knife with two broken blades, a wooden handles Schrade that is never seen before, and a dirty, dirty Case peanut.
I handled the peanut and wiped some of the dirt off. The blades were decent shape with some patina. Then I looked at the tang stamp. Ten dots (1970.)
I asked what he wanted. He said to shoot him an offer. I said “$25.”
He looked over EBay for a few mins, but then said “sure.”
I paid and took it home. I cleaned it up first with some Lucas CLP. After that, the grittyness when opening the blades was gone. Then I grabbed the Flitz and began to polish. Wow! The bone scales were a beautiful reddish brown.
This is my first Peanut, and I think I’m hooked. Along with my Canoe fetish.
Attachments
2D226114-22F5-404F-8C22-40BA12E9A0AF.jpeg
C79D0D2C-1C44-4AD9-993C-CA4135EC8BEF.jpeg
B0F24043-4AE5-4011-B3F9-F2AE6AA50CCC.jpeg
"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option." Mark Twain
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Got my first Peanut today

Post by treefarmer »

That's the way it's done! Good job. ::tu:: Love to find hidden gems like that in the junk stores!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Good catch on that Peanut! ::tu::
Joe
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Very nice knife. Cleaning and sharpening an old knife is much more enjoyable than taking
a brand new one out of the box. I have done both.

Bob
Jporter1974

Post by Jporter1974 »

Great knife! I'm a fan of peanuts too. They are a good fit for a pocket and a sturdy little knife. ~Jon
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Very nice peanut and a 10 dot to boot. Those peanuts are mighty mouses!! And they will multiply. I started out with one and now have 5. I like em! Congratts!! :)
NapalmSloth

Post by NapalmSloth »

rea1eye wrote:Very nice knife. Cleaning and sharpening an old knife is much more enjoyable than taking
a brand new one out of the box. I have done both.

Bob
Yes it is. I love cleaning guns. And now, I like cleaning and sharpening knives too. It’s therapeutic for me.
"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option." Mark Twain
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Nice catch! Aside from the configuration, is a peanut 3 inches or less? I am not sure of the definition.
NapalmSloth

Post by NapalmSloth »

tongueriver wrote:Nice catch! Aside from the configuration, is a peanut 3 inches or less? I am not sure of the definition.

2 7/8" closed is the size, I believe.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Nice score!! Congrats on an able carry!! ::tu::
John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That is a nice knife! ::tu:: I see that there is a large following for 'peanuts.' I poked around and I think I have one. It is a bit long in the tooth and I don't plan on using it, but I do see the attraction, and a peanut should take care of a lot of everyday tasks.
cutco 2724001.jpg
new001.jpg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Back before computers (or before we had one) .. I did edc a single blade CASE P-Nut for about 10yrs.. It fulfilled all that I needed it to do and never fell short!! I lost it and then along came the net and we got a computer and then ..... ::facepalm:: :lol: ::doh::
John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
luckydog64
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by luckydog64 »

That is a great knife napalm, red handles, ten dots and mostly full blades. Cleaning an old knife and bringing it back to life is good for my soul. Now the hunt is on for the next one. good luck
Earth First! We'll mine the other planets later.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I have several Peanuts, but the only use they get is when my wife claims them (she loves the size and won't part with them) - she has the bone handled Peanut on her desk now. I kept a 1990 Case Delrin hidden away in the box, and a Schrade 12OT (same size and configuration) which serves as a good desk knife. That is some pretty bone in the Case Peanut you bought. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
NapalmSloth

Post by NapalmSloth »

Old Hunter wrote:I have several Peanuts, but the only use they get is when my wife claims them (she loves the size and won't part with them) - she has the bone handled Peanut on her desk now. I kept a 1990 Case Delrin hidden away in the box, and a Schrade 12OT (same size and configuration) which serves as a good desk knife. That is some pretty bone in the Case Peanut you bought. OH
They guy I bought it from swore that it was jigged Delrin.
But it sure looks like bone to me.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”