Old Timer MM89

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Meridian_Mike

Old Timer MM89

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I got my hands on this Old Timer MM89 (Master Mechanic).
Looks like it is the same model as the 89 OT (Blazer).

Have y'all got any of the MM's?
As I understand there was different shields used on the Master Mechanic Old Timers.
MM89 Master Mechanic.JPG
My resurrected 89 OT Old Timer....
89 0T Blazer.JPG
Mike
:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
tongueriver

Re: Old Timer MM89

Post by tongueriver »

There is a Master Mechanic stockman on ebay ending today with a Master Mechanic shield. Looks like maybe a 34 OT. I think your knife has a blade switched into an Old Timer. Maybe? In other words possibly an end-of-days knife?
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Meridian_Mike wrote:I got my hands on this Old Timer MM89 (Master Mechanic).
Looks like it is the same model as the 89 OT (Blazer).

Have y'all got any of the MM's?
As I understand there was different shields used on the Master Mechanic Old Timers.

MM89 Master Mechanic.JPG

My resurrected 89 OT Old Timer....
89 0T Blazer.JPG

Mike
:D
First of all your shield is upside down.Your knife might have a shield off a 340T
My MM89 has the same shield as most of my 80T and my 890T.Also my Craftman and John Primble seem to have the same size shields

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I think there was inconsistency in the shield used as well as the blades used on the MM89.
A purchase two from an Ace Hardware Store that I'm pretty sure we're in the store when Schrade closed; I will have to check to be sure but, IIRC, one had a Master Mechanic blade with an Old Timer shield, and the other one had a Master Mechanic shield with an Old Timer blade.
Both knives were purchased at the same store on the same day a few months after Schrade went bankrupt.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Meridian_Mike wrote:Have y'all got any of the MM's?
I have a couple
MMs.jpg
- Jason
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Okay, I found the pictures of the two Master Mechanic versions of the 89OT, a.k.a. MM89.
I bought these two knives on consecutive days, January 6 and January 7, 2006 at the True Value Hardware store in Kaiser Oregon.
One came in the box, the other came in the bag, apparently the box had been damaged. The top knife has a Tang stamp of MM89/U.S.A. and the bottom knife has the Tang stamp SCHRADE/U.S.A. 89OT and the bottom knife has the MASTER MECHANIC blade etch.

In reference to the OP, both of these knives have the Master Mechanic shield but have different tang stamps and one has the blade etch and one does not.

I purchased These knives approximately 18 months after Schrade went out of business, however I do not believe these are in the days knives. If they had been end of days knives it would be unlikely that they were shipped to the proper company that had ordered them, i.e. True Value Hardware.

Since it was ordered by Val-Test for their True Value Hardware stores and it made it to a True Value store I think it is safe to assume that it was produced prior to the end of days, has a lot of the end of days knives never left the loading dock before the bankruptcy. Everything on the property would've been seized and auctioned to the highest bidder. I think it is unlikely that True Value sent a buyer to the Schrade bankruptcy auction in hopes of purchasing some of the knives they had already ordered.

I think Schrade was just lax in making sure that blades stamped for an SFO went into the knives made for that SFO. Perhaps the bottom knife was made when they had run out of stamped blades and so it was made with no Master Mechanic tang stamp. ::shrug::

These are the only two variations I have the Master Mechanic knives. Perhaps some of our members have variations they can post.
Attachments
MM89.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Very interesting Dale.... The MM blade etch is on an 89OT blade.

Here is a thread from our forum about a knife like mine only difference.....the shield is in correctly..... LOL.

https://allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_ ... hp?t=32591

Mike
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I got a MM89 several years ago off the Bay!
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”