My firsts

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

My firsts

Post by JACK OF ALL TIRADES »

So I been passing on a carving set, new in cardboard box, because these thrift store hacks ran clear tape everywhere and over original paperwork. Well I grabbed at half price and will leave the tape where needed.
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Re: My firsts

20181213_110702(1).jpg
Well here they are
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I assume the knives have Robeson's name on them somewhere and/or the box is so marked.

I do not recognize that paper insert. No idea what it's touting.

They have no collector value.

Unwrap them and put them to use in your kitchen. I use such knives every day.

Robeson sold a wealth of such knives and knife sets, some elaborately boxed or cased, during the 1950's and early 60's. I suspect a lot were given as wedding, Anniversary, Christmas and birthday gifts. Apparently, a good many of those gifted items were left in the box and saw little to no use. There are multiple such things on Ebay every day and the never sell for much money.

However, you can not go into any upscale kitchen shop and buy a better knife.

Those ShurWood handles, a product that Robeson manufactured in a separate facility, are very durable, but I recommend they be washed by hand and not put into a dishwasher.

The only such sets to avoid are the ROBESON CONTINENTAL ones. They were German imports. Most have fancy engraving on the blades with some gold or gold-tone inlay of hunting or boating scenes, etc. Probably good quality German cutlery, but not true Robesons.

This elaborate American made set is on Ebay right now. They are asking $225.00. They'll never get that. It will eventually sell for around $75.00 or a hundred dollars.

Most sets sell for $35.00 or so. I have paid as little as five dollars for a new old stock knife, still with that green cardboard sleeve in place.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
Robeson Knife Set.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Thanks for your thoughts. That is a nice set there. I am gonna go and cut into and see whats there.
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Well the set looks OK now. The knife may have been used, but was very dull. It came with a hidden blade cardboard thingy. The instruction paper was for a static dust gizmo. The cardboard box is green and no writing at all. Its all original Robeson
20181221_185634.jpg
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Im sorry this has to valuable in its wood display :wink:

and fresh edge.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Is that wooden holder set up to be hung on a wall? Some of these had magnets in them to keep the knives in place in the vertical position.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Actually there is something there that I really didnt closely examine. It seemed as though it was meant to be hung.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Is it just a wood display? Or a cutting board too? Nice set.
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

The wood seems to be a soft pine. The set is washed well and wrapped in stretch wrap. Something appeared to be broken off on the back. I bet a magnet. :D
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

I don't know what I thought but this wood holder is not meant to be hung at all.
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

I passed on a two carving knife set gixmo. They were in a two part wooden holder that matched the handles. the knives slid straight in. I snapped a pic too. $30 full price seems high but they have been here awhile and may end up in my collection yet.

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”