CCC Tang Stamp Mystery

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

CCC Tang Stamp Mystery

Post by QTCut5 »

Any of you Case experts know what the letters "ACK" stand for in the pattern number tang stamp on the spay blade of this 2004 Case Collector's Club Allegheny Mountain Bone 6207 Mini Trapper?

::shrug:: ::undecided:: :?
PC140002.JPG
PC140005.JPG
PC140008.JPG
~Q~
~Q~
Tsar Bomba

Re: CCC Tang Stamp Mystery

Post by Tsar Bomba »

It appears to be a reference to that jigged Allegheny Mountain bone judging by a couple of knives currently on sale by AAPK sellers. All of these knives appear to be Case collector club knives, so perhaps the ACK stands for "Allegheny Club Knife"?
Attachments
1532717616_851_1.jpg
1532717616_851_4.jpg
1533176159_1376_1.jpg
1533176159_1376_6.jpg
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

ACK = Annual Club Knife.

Every year Case makes a set of three knives available to members as the official Annual Club Knives: a Life member knife, a Regular member knife, and a Junior member knife, all engraved with the respective member's club member number. Only life members can buy a life member knife. All members can get the Regular member knife, and so on. Life members can get all three knives. (Junior members are kids sponsored by members, up to two junior members free per membership. The junior memberships are free, the knives are not free.) :lol:

From time to time they offer other "club knives" with the CCC shield, but only the official annual club knives are marked ACK. And those will also have a blade etch saying "Life Member", "Regular Member, or "Junior Member". None of the other club knives will have that specific etch.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:ACK = Annual Club Knife.
From time to time they offer other "club knives" with the CCC shield, but only the official annual club knives are marked ACK. And those will also have a blade etch saying "Life Member", "Regular Member, or "Junior Member". None of the other club knives will have that specific etch.

Ken
AHHH...so, that would explain why these other CCC knives do not have "ACK" on the tang stamp. Thanks for clearing that up, Ken...it was driving me nuts trying to figure it out. Although Tony's guess was what I had settled on, too, for lack of anything better (and I was pretty sure it didn't stand for "Another Case Knife!) :D

Some examples of Case Collector's Club knives that are not official Annual Club Knives:
PC140011.JPG
PC140012.JPG
P8270007.JPG
P8270008.JPG
PA130007.JPG
PA130008.JPG
PB010010.JPG
PB010009.JPG
I know this may seem excessively trivial, but, as the saying goes, "The Devil is in the details" and that goes double for someone like me who suffers from Cutlery Related OCD...I noticed that on the 1992 Jr. member knife, the brass bomb shield shield shows the word "Collector's" with a possessive apostrophe (which is grammatically correct), while on all the other shields (and blade etches) there is no apostrophe in the word "Collectors". Hmmm... ::hmm:: As a former English teacher, I'm probably the only Case collector who has ever noticed that...or cared about it.

Also, and much more obvious is the omission of a pattern number tang stamp altogether on one of the 1997 Jr. Member knives, which is a shame since 007 is a unique pattern number not seen on any other Mini Trappers other than the Case Classics which has a pattern number of 62007 1/2.

One of the 1997 Jr. Member knives also has only two dots on the date tang stamp which, technically, would make it a 1998 release...very curious indeed.

~Q~
~Q~

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”