What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Post by kootenay joe »

I like the # 09 Esquire, a 2 7/8" Pen knife but it is not that popular, so i doubt GEC will make another run. I would like to see a short run of these with the absolute best handle materials 'out there'. These would be expensive knives, maybe with a gold shield, fluted bolsters, all in perfect 'flow'. This would be harking back to 100+ years ago (1870's - 1920) when a fancy pen knife was the most expensive pattern the manufacturer made. It was often given as a special gift or something the successful man might buy for himself.
So, an 09 with the best blue-green mammoth handles.
What knife would you like to see GEC make ?
kj
markpreston

Re: What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Post by markpreston »

A finely tuned equal end pen knife with sunken joints and a single backspring. And please make it THIN like older Case pen knives. The closest thing GEC had I think was the presidents knife and it still seemed a tad thick to me.
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I would like them to go in the opposite direction. There are plenty of gentleman's knives available in other brands but but very few three or more bladed full size belt pouch knives. I would like to see more 98 pattern 4 7/8" three or more bladed knives, preferably with 440C blades. I'd eagerly buy both a stainless 98 pattern stockman and whittler.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I would like for Northwoods to offer a 2 blade Fremont based on the GEC 79 Montana Workhorse. The reason for wanting it branded Northwoods is to see this pattern dressed in a deluxe handle such as Mammoth, Giraffe, etc. I took the liberty to photoshop an example rendition of my wished for item. You will notice the master blade is the large Northfield spear instead of Northwoods Bohncliffe that has been used on the Fremont in the past. I would want a Northwoods branded spear - not the Northfield as shown in my frankenknife picture.

I hope it is clear that my picture is a "mock-up" and not a real knife.
Attachments
Northwoods Fremont proposal with 2 blades.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I would never have known that was not an actual knife.
Very useful as you can create a picture to see what a knife imagined would actually look like.
You have talent (and computer smarts too)
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

kootenay joe wrote:I like the # 09 Esquire, a 2 7/8" Pen knife but it is not that popular, so i doubt GEC will make another run. I would like to see a short run of these with the absolute best handle materials 'out there'. These would be expensive knives, maybe with a gold shield, fluted bolsters, all in perfect 'flow'. This would be harking back to 100+ years ago (1870's - 1920) when a fancy pen knife was the most expensive pattern the manufacturer made. It was often given as a special gift or something the successful man might buy for himself.
So, an 09 with the best blue-green mammoth handles.
What knife would you like to see GEC make ?
kj
That’s easy, a Cuttin Horse pattern. Either Snakewood handles or stag.
Or a knife like the Kershaw Double Cross, two locking blades and both w/ thumbstuds. Handles could be anything if it had those two features, so long as it isn’t synthetic in anyway.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Can you describe the Cuttin Horse pattern ? This name was used by Bulldog for one of the Sowbelly Stock knives but i don't think it is an actual pattern name. Size, shape, # of blades & which blades ?
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

RalphAlsip wrote:I would like for Northwoods to offer a 2 blade Fremont based on the GEC 79 Montana Workhorse. The reason for wanting it branded Northwoods is to see this pattern dressed in a deluxe handle such as Mammoth, Giraffe, etc. I took the liberty to photoshop an example rendition of my wished for item. You will notice the master blade is the large Northfield spear instead of Northwoods Bohncliffe that has been used on the Fremont in the past. I would want a Northwoods branded spear - not the Northfield as shown in my frankenknife picture.

I hope it is clear that my picture is a "mock-up" and not a real knife.
Jerry that is a beautiful creation and I would add should a whittler in that configuration be created as well I would certainly be a buyer. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

kootenay joe wrote:Can you describe the Cuttin Horse pattern ? This name was used by Bulldog for one of the Sowbelly Stock knives but i don't think it is an actual pattern name. Size, shape, # of blades & which blades ?
kj

It’s a Sowbelly stockman. Has a large clip blade on one end and a smaller clip blade on the other. Here is a picture off the internet. You are correct about Bulldog having this. Cuttin Horse is all I have ever seen this pattern called. I just love the curves and blades on these.
SSk
Attachments
9cfe4545-67cc-4fce-ada6-d268a5f26d8e_1.640440e8bf51c84d9f0febeec098a7cd.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

That pattern was made for Bulldog in Germany (Olbertz) in 1980's and again in 1990's. Jim Parker had this pattern made in Japan about the same time. I don't know if there has been a USA version ? But there would be if GEC made some. Have you thought of emailing them this suggestion ?
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I only have one wish left that GEC hasn't fulfilled - the granddaddy Barlow. :mrgreen:
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Daddy Barlow is a rather dull pattern. I can't see the attraction. Maybe you is jokin' ? There are still nice unused Imperial Daddy Barlows from 1960's to fulfill your desire for Daddy B.
kj
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

kootenay joe wrote:The Daddy Barlow is a rather dull pattern. I can't see the attraction. Maybe you is jokin' ? There are still nice unused Imperial Daddy Barlows from 1960's to fulfill your desire for Daddy B.
kj
I totally disagree with you Joe.
Grandaddy Barlow is a great pattern.
Would love to see GEC make them.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I respectfully disagree - t'ain't nothin' dull about 'em IMO.
Attachments
27626635390_4cb4feabfb_k.jpg
25515203395_6b4a02f7bb_k.jpg
24925367076_636fb86fd1_k.jpg
27221402052_d157e166a5_k.jpg
26801542763_37089cde63_k.jpg
29003699780_2b0208e447_k.jpg
39668377095_0a96692095_k.jpg
28530087830_2b572fa48b_k.jpg
31107465598_03adb374b1_k.jpg
30528002985_4912ee6f2c_k.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Well they have the #98 frame at 4 7/8" so easy to put in a clip blade & long bolster and there you have a Daddy Barlow for those who like big knives with straight 'lines'.
kj
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Tsar Bomba wrote:I respectfully disagree - t'ain't nothin' dull about 'em IMO.
Great knives!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Tsar Bomba wrote:I only have one wish left that GEC hasn't fulfilled - the granddaddy Barlow. :mrgreen:
I've been thinking more and more about a Barlow, and I couldn't get ahold of a new GEC Barlow. Looking at old ones, regretting not getting a S&M barlow while I could, even considered an Italian Lion steel... So Colonial recently put up some of their new/old stock knives that they closed out back in the '80s, and I bought myself a Colonial Barlow 392 for Christmas. I just checked the other day and the 392s are all gone, but they still have the Old Cutler bone handled Barlows, and they're probably very nice. Anyway, that 392 Barlow is absolutely the worst fit and finish of any knife I've seen. Almost garbage. But I wanted it to be a user, and it was only $30 with shipping so I'm keeping it. I can see why the old Colonial company went out of business, and I'm happy to report that the new US-made knives from Colonial are much much nicer.

I'm going to unwrap that 392 on Christmas and carry it often. I hope that every time I take it out and cringe at it's poor quality, Mr. Howard gets a vibe to make a big run of GEC Barlows. Not an SFO that you have to be a member of a secret society to get, but a real big run for us Average Joes, like the 78 run a year ago. You can still get 78s today, which is how it should be IMO.

- Lee
biglmbass

Post by biglmbass »

I want this, in coal black ebony with the same shield as shown. Put a bolster on their 47 frame & they'd have it. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if the blade stock was heavier than usual. Would probably take the same knife in jigged bone too. Ebony to start though.
Attachments
carpenter's knife.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Good idea ! The swayback frame feels good in hand and it would have 2 full sized blades and is not a Trapper. Maybe send this picture to GEC ? As you say they already have the 47 frame so it would not take an all new set up.
kj
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

More 85 patterns and 33 conductor's whittlers ::nod::
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

That is a nice knife, but I prefer a full size blade and a pen size blade. 47 frame, plus another in 3/4 size.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I would like to see a full-length (4 1/2 inches?) classic English jack in all sorts of variations. It would break my bank. Meanwhile I have been enjoying my little group of 65s. I do carry one of them in ebony in case I run into a sandwich to be dressed. I need to learn to use a camera; this scan makes the knives look horrible; they are all lovely and mint except my pb&j knife.
65 pattern group001 - Copy.jpg
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

gsmith7158 wrote:should a whittler in that configuration be created as well I would certainly be a buyer. ::tu::
Greg, is this what you are talking about? :) Please note this is a mock up based on the blades in the GEC 79 workhorse whittler combined with a 79 Northwoods Fremont giraffe frame. The whittler blades are taken from an internet picture.
http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/pat ... -whittler/
Attachments
Fremont Whittler Proposal.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Jerry I'm going to nominate you as consultant extraordinaire to GEC! I would buy that. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Jerry, you could do design work for GEC. Send them some of your mock-ups. Even if you don't get on the payroll maybe you will get a first choice gift knife in return.
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”