Post your Slenderino Knives

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
UnderDawgAl

Re: Post your Slenderino Knives

Post by UnderDawgAl »

dweb1897 wrote:Good looking slenderinos, particularly like that Kabar
So do I, and the 98OT too.
UnderDawgAl

Post by UnderDawgAl »

tongueriver wrote:
dweb1897 wrote:Wally, nice 233
Slenderino is a term that is probably only used here on AAPK by Schrade collectors. Generally it refers to the 897 style of knife with the slender turkish clip blade...at least that is my interpretation.
Some years back Hal B (Trailhawk) and I were having a lot of Schrade conversations and one of us came up with that term to describe the 3 9/16 slender frame stockman knives. I like to include the slender 4 inch stockmans under that heading as well, very pocketable with their girlish figure and rounded bolsters. More AAPK proprietary terms would include HOK (honest old knife) and HET! (a corruption of hey!). You might not see these terms outside these hallowed halls. Here is an 861 openstock Schrade that I call a 'slenderino.'861 Walden001.jpg
Man, that 861 is nice. I'll give you five bucks CASH MONEY for it right now! Otherwise, I'll have to hunt one down.

Thanks for the definitions. I've been wondering what "HET" meant.
AR Norby

Post by AR Norby »

Here's my 98OT along side a 34 OT I love the long slim blade on the 98
Attachments
Schrade 34OT&98OT.jpg
Perception is Reality
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

Thanks dweb and UnderDawgAl, I got the Kabar at a gun show for $25, and think it has the best jigged Delrin handles I've come across
KAW

Post by KAW »

Due to Cal IDing my latest post on "What is Your Latest Old Schrade?" as a slenerino... I just discovered this thread...
really cool knives posted here 8) ::tu::
... and I have a few to add...

an NOS open stock 825RB...

an 825RB with an improvised nail nick (guess this would be considered a factory second)...

an NOS open stock 808Y...

my EDC... a Schrade Walden 234K...

....and the recently acquired Schrade Walden 896K I just posted on the above mentioned thread...
11116 11117

I do like my Butter & Molasses handles... ::groove::
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Here's a 898K with a unique punch.
Attachments
898K Pen Punch (3).jpg
898K Pen Punch (4).jpg
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Mustanger, you sure come up with some nice knives.
Picked up this Heritage recently
DSC05224.JPG
DSC05223.JPG
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

dweb1897 wrote:Mustanger, you sure come up with some nice knives.
Picked up this Heritage recently
DSC05224.JPGDSC05223.JPG
Hey! You got one of those red bone knives! That's only the 3rd one of those I've ever seen. After I got mine a few years ago I have been looking for others to show up. That's a beauty! Now I have a witness to the fact that they are a true Schrade Limited Edition and not a Taylor. (as some have suggested) Sure wish I knew the story on those. Glad you got one and posted the pictures!
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Mustanger, I didn't realize they were that uncommon. I happened to see it on Ebay and the price was so low that I couldn't help but bid on it. Absolutely not Taylor made. I sure can't see a pin in the bolster so I'd bet on Swinden.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

dweb1897 wrote:Mustanger, I didn't realize they were that uncommon. I happened to see it on Ebay and the price was so low that I couldn't help but bid on it. Absolutely not Taylor made. I sure can't see a pin in the bolster so I'd bet on Swinden.
You got a great deal. I paid $11 more for mine. I don't know how uncommon they are. I just know I've only seen 3. I didn't see yours on ebay, so.... :lol:
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Mustanger wrote:Here's a 898K with a unique punch.
That looks like an 899 but with a worn down pen blade instead of a punch. I have not seen that before. Does it have a pattern number on it?
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:
Mustanger wrote:Here's a 898K with a unique punch.
That looks like an 899 but with a worn down pen blade instead of a punch. I have not seen that before. Does it have a pattern number on it?
When I posted this knife on another forum years ago, when I first got it, the issue came up about this being a well worn pen blade or 896K. I was verbally bitch-slapped and the moderator blocked me from replying. I took detailed pictures of the punch and comparison pictures of it along side pen blades of the same size to show the difference in profiles. The tang is also consistent with other punch blades. As you can see there is no tang stamp identification, which is not uncommon. I also had pictures of that type of punch on other pocket knives (rare). But I was not allowed to post that information. I don't have those pictures anymore or the desire to go to all that trouble again. So I'll just ask that you take notice of the blade configurations of the 899, 896K and 898K. The only one that has a spey blade in the position on my knife is the 898K. That seems to me to be enough proof in itself. If you look closely at the enlarged pictures I posted of it, you may be able to tell that the punch has a different profile and is ground at a much sharper angle from the back of the punch to the edge than knife blades do. It is not a knife edge but a more full scraping type of edge. Which is common on the punch blades. They are to be used as punches and scrapers. I hope I'm not setting anyone off this time by defending my identification of the knife. But it is what it is, and it's a punch. And the blade configuration is that of an 898K. It is odd and I understand the questions about it. I had them too. Please don't get angry if we disagree. :D
Attachments
The mystery knife
The mystery knife
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Nobody gonna get angry here; there are some power freaks over there in the Big City (sic) who have slapped me around a coupla times, and I know GOOD PEOPLE who have been banned over there. Thanks for amplifying, elucidating and illuminating the subject, Mustanger. By the way, do you ever read your pms?
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

tongueriver wrote:Nobody gonna get angry here; there are some power freaks over there in the Big City (sic) who have slapped me around a coupla times, and I know GOOD PEOPLE who have been banned over there. Thanks for amplifying, elucidating and illuminating the subject, Mustanger. By the way, do you ever read your pms?
LOL! I never check for pms. Wait, that doesn't look right. I mean private messages. I only log in when I want to post something and I don't think to look cuz I'm focused on posting. That and I'm an airhead. That's a beauty alright! I'll give it some thought.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I wouldn't get angry with you Mustanger, but I do respectfully disagree with you. It's a worn pen blade, the punch style schrade used in that era had an overhang of steel on one side of the spine of the punch for opening, not a nail nick. The punch style is shown amongst the picture of blades below.
IMG_2292.PNG
Notice the profile of the pen blade on the 8984.
IMG_2290.PNG
Then the profile of the 8993 punch blade.
IMG_2293.PNG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Good job finding a 898 with a pen blade. I'm glad you posted it because in my mind it supports my claim. My blade is substantially shorter than the pen in the picture. A long pen could be whittled down to the length of mine. But the problem I have always had with that idea is, if that were true the width of the blade would be the same to the tip. The pen doesn't taper in width until it gets to the downward radius at the tip of the pen. My punch tapers in width, starting at the tang, to a point far short of the length of the pen. My punch is straight across the spine and narrows in width to a point. I also think that the nail nick on mine seems pretty far back from the tip for the pen and just right for the punch. When I think about how much the pen would have to be sharpened to shorten it to the length of mine, I look at how much "hook'' is left where the blade meets the tang. There is quite a bit left on mine. I've seen some pretty nice repair jobs done for broken tips. But I've never seen one that had the blade tapered from the tang to the tip to repair it. Then there is the two different styles of spey blades. A different time period perhaps? My pictures aren't great but I think they show what I'm babbling about. The punch was made to taper down to a point at a shorter length than the pen. And I'm still seeing that tang shape as one made for a punch. I think it makes a great punch and I like it better than most I've seen. Maybe not the best scraper, but it will pierce materials much better than other types I've seen.
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Mustangr, I have been reading this and guess I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. Schrade made so many variations that were never put into regular prduction and just sat in a drawer in the sample room. If you say its a punch then I'll believe it. You certainly have experience with that style of knife.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Well thanks for that vote of confidence, Doug. You should be careful about staining your good reputation by siding with me though. :D
I have to say that when KnifeSlinger posted that 8984 1/4 it made me take another hard look at what I have here. I tried to believe that it is a severely worn, re-shaped or otherwise modified knife blade but I just can't get there. I tried to be objective and willing to admit I'm wrong, but I just can't get there. I appreciate that KnifeSlinger put up a good argument for the pen blade and it's a legitimate one worth considering. I hope we can just agree to disagree. I respect his knowledge of Schrades and I feel uncomfortable disagreeing with him.

On a side note, Doug, in case you weren't already aware, one of the three red bone knives that I know of just sold on ebay the day after we discussed them here. I think someone was paying attention. I had it on my watch list for months waiting for the price to come down. I thought you might be interested in seeing the box that it came in. Or at least the printing on it for some identification.
Attachments
HCA 897 B or 8 ?
HCA 897 B or 8 ?
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Possible slight distraction here, but I couldn't help but take the time to clue in my Schrade friends on what could be the last really great buy on a classic Schrade slenderino in 2018 (bonus: he does say that it is "assisted"). Congratulations to the lucky buyer :roll: and a Happy New Year to all!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SCHRAD ... rk:19:pf:0
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

tongueriver wrote:Possible slight distraction here, but I couldn't help but take the time to clue in my Schrade friends on what could be the last really great buy on a classic Schrade slenderino in 2018 (bonus: he does say that it is "assisted"). Congratulations to the lucky buyer :roll: and a Happy New Year to all!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SCHRAD ... rk:19:pf:0
And look, it has a large punch blade! (sorry, just making fun of myself)

Happy New Year!
Attachments
zLOL.jpg
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Cal, you left out the fancy handle material Handle Material: STAGLON-ACETAL RESIN HOMOPOLYMER

I don't know about you but I don't want nothing to do with no homo polymers
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

dweb1897 wrote:Cal, you left out the fancy handle material Handle Material: STAGLON-ACETAL RESIN HOMOPOLYMER

I don't know about you but I don't want nothing to do with no homo polymers
snicker
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Mustanger, Thanks for that info on the slenderino. At my age, my reputation can probably withstand a little staining.. ::mdm::
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I got a little brother slenderino here at 3 1/4". Ulster 55Y with a Turkish Clip blade.
Attachments
55Y Turkish Clip.JPG
55Y Turkish Clip (2).JPG
UnderDawgAl

Post by UnderDawgAl »

Mustanger wrote:I got a little brother slenderino here at 3 1/4". Ulster 55Y with a Turkish Clip blade.
Nice, as always!

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”