R 6816 Wow !

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
kootenay joe

R 6816 Wow !

Post by kootenay joe »

There is a great knife listed on ebay, a Lockback Whittler Surveyor(?) pattern with a most impressive master clip blade.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1920-40-RARE-R ... 3245520634?_
It is rather expensive at $9,000, but it is also rather nice. Is anyone else here one of the 37 'watchers' ?
This knife does look like it is all original and no fluff & buff treatment. Anyone not agree ? If my assessment is off i want to know before i smash open my piggybank :wink:
My query is not so much about the price, but about the knife.
kj
Attachments
s-l1600 (13).jpg
s-l1600 (12).jpg
RalphAlsip

Re: R 6816 Wow !

Post by RalphAlsip »

kootenay joe wrote:My query is not so much about the price, but about the knife.
Roland, the specific knife and eBay listing you posted has been a topic of interest on AAPK in several other posts. Below are a couple of links that I happened to recall. As you might imagine, opinions about the specific knife are varied. :) However the pattern is without question very rare, highly collectible, and very desirable to Remington collectors.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=16665&p=676256#p676256

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=56801&p=642926#p642926
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you. Sorry, i was not aware of the previous threads about this knife. Your second link is to a thread from April 2018, 8 months ago. This knife has been for sale long enough to show that price is too high.
Also i just looked more closely at master blade: it looks to have been buffed, both sides. Other thread says etch is not original.
So it is not a 'mint' knife which makes asking price even more 'out of line'.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

kootenay joe wrote: Also i just looked more closely at master blade: it looks to have been buffed, both sides. Other thread says etch is not original. kj
My thoughts exactly.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

However i should add that judging this knife from pictures cannot be as accurate as examining it in-hand. The seller says 'all original' and he has it in hand.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I'm certainly far from an expert but I do know the pattern is rare and coveted by Remington collectors. I had one in-hand once upon a time about 45 years ago and I'll never forget it. The owner was a doctor who had the finest Remington collection I've ever seen including at least one of every "bullet" made. Lost track of him but I'm sure he's no longer living as he'd be well over 100 years old by now.

I have a clone somewhere that was made by Queen. IIRC it's stamped as a Robeson. I'll see if I can find it.

Ken

Edit: my clone is marked Schatt & Morgan. Made by Queen.
Attachments
IMG_20150530_125250~3.jpg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
pearlroosterman

Post by pearlroosterman »

As I stated several months ago, if I were able to pay that kind of money for a knife, this one would be mine. I have a very nice used example that I paid several thousand dollars for but nothing like this mint or near mint knife. I have purchased several wonderful Remingtons from this seller and trust his representation of the knife. Merry Christmas and Happy Remington hunting. John
John
pearlroosterman

As I stated several months ago, if I were able to pay that kind of money for a knife, this one would be mine. I have a very nice used example that I paid several thousand dollars for but nothing like this mint or near mint knife. I have purchased several wonderful Remingtons from this seller and trust his representation of the knife. Merry Christmas and Happy Remington hunting. John
John
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Mumbleypeg wrote:I have a clone marked Schatt & Morgan. Made by Queen.
Ken, I have the same S&M knife and I bought it because I don't expect to ever have an original R6816.

In my view the most significant issue withe the OP knife is the asking price.

Here is another knife from same seller where the etch does look off to me. My perception is the lettering in the etch is not as precise as it should be. For example, if I think of how a Sharpie writes vs. how 5mm mechanical drafting pencil lead writes that's the perception I get when looking at this etch. It could be an optical illusion due to camera angle and lighting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1920-1940-REMI ... 1438.l2649
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Does anyone have an all original Remington knife with "Remington" blade etch that you are sure is original that you could post a picture of for comparison ?
kj
pearlroosterman

Just any knife or a 6816?? That will be a tough one.....
John
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I was meaning any original blade etch to compare with the etch on pearl knife that poster says does not look as 'sharp' ? as it should.
kj
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Remington produced 2 kinds of "etch" if you will. An acid etch and an ink etch. I don't believe anyone has counterfeited or re-etched an acid etch that I've ever seen. I do believe there have been ink etches that have been counterfeited or re-etched. Your terminology of whether they are counterfeit or re-etch may vary.
I own knives that I believe don't have an original factory etch. I wish they did.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

This is a very grey area in Remington. I've bought knives from people I respect that believe the etch to be original that I didn't. I think many late knives came out of the factory that didn't have an etch and later acquired one. This is only my opinion after studying the etches in my collection and looking at other knives.
pearlroosterman

My photos are terrible but you can see several with etch on the Thread. “My Remingtons “. Start on page 3. Again sorry for the bad photography. John
John
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It would be very helpful to see a picture of each, the acid etch and the ink etch. Knowing how to assess an etch is something i still need to learn.
Is the etch on the pearl knife above an ink etch ?
kj
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I have seen many re-etched Remington knives.Both ink and acid etched.Most of the acid etched ones were fuzzy compared to originals and the knives had been cleaned(like the op knife).If you go to the original post on this knife and compare the etches on the OP knife,the catalog cut and Keith's similar pattern.The etch on the OP knife is too close to the tang.
Roger
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

kootenay joe wrote:It would be very helpful to see a picture of each, the acid etch and the ink etch. Knowing how to assess an etch is something i still need to learn.
Is the etch on the pearl knife above an ink etch ?
kj
I'm still working on my etchology certification :) so I won't be able to opine how something was etched, but here is a collage of Remington blade etches from some of my original Remingtons. The eBay etches are also included, however I have tried to "anonymize" the blades so you will have to guess which are mine and which from eBay.

As usual with me, anything worth doing is worth overdoing :) ... the image size is large due to the number of etches included so it will take some time to display when you enlarge. You will note some of the etches are clean and unworn, some are clean and worn, some are worn with patina.

You might notice things like serifs, enclosed letters like "e" and "o" and letters with multiple legs like "n" and "m".
Attachments
Remington Etch Collage.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Are those etches on blades or a picture of the etch as shown in a book ? I need some help to understand what is in this picture, a lot for sure.
kj
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Jerry, the etches look the same third one down middle row and third one down far right row. ::shrug::
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

kootenay joe wrote:Are those etches on blades or a picture of the etch as shown in a book ? I need some help to understand what is in this picture, a lot for sure.kj
Roland, the Remington etch collage I created contains pictures of etches from 11 of my antique Remington knives. The collage also contains pictures of the 2 etches of the eBay knives that were being discussed in the thread.

The etches were cropped from the blades so the image you see in the collage are strictly the part of the blade that contains the etch.
wlf

Post by wlf »

Opinions on this etch.
Attachments
Remington R3853 fake etch Mr452.jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

espn77 wrote:Jerry, the etches look the same third one down middle row and third one down far right row. ::shrug::
Keith, I attached a revised picture with the images of the etches numbered. I think you are asking about #7 and #11. If my understanding is correct they are not duplicates. #6 and #7 won't have duplicates :). It is possible that I could have duplicated the others.
Attachments
Remington Etch Collage.jpg
espn77

Post by espn77 »

7, 11 look like the same style etch
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

wlf wrote:Opinions on this etch.
Lyle, to my eye, the Remington etch you are asking about has the same "sharpie" characteristic I mentioned about one of the eBay etches. For example, if you look at the letter "g", the squiggly tail at the bottom of the "g" is fat. I have no idea whether this means anything or not - it's just different from what I am used to seeing on the knives I have. Maybe the etches on my knives are the oddballs :)

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”