POLL: Big Jack

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.

Big Jacks - your fave

6292 Texas Jack
55%
6249 Copperhead
45%

Total votes: 29

Lansky1

POLL: Big Jack

Post by Lansky1 »

I’ve recently gravitated to the “big” jack knives in the 4” range. There are other vintage Case large jack knife patterns, but these 2 seem to be the most popular in the large size.

Let’s have it ... which big jack do you like best ?
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
XX Case XX

Re: POLL: Big Jack

Post by XX Case XX »

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Dang John!! I can't pick between those two. ::dang::

Now if you're talking about 6249W, that tips the scales.

Wow, just realized I have a 4th of July set. Cool.
Attachments
Case 2006 Wharncliffe Copperhead 6249W.JPG
Case 2001 Copperhead 6249W SS Wharncliffe Blue Bone - Mark Open Labeled.JPG
Case 2000 Copperhead Wharncliffe 6249W SS White Bone no shield - Labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

WOW!! That's like picking my favorite kid!!!! ::shrug:: ::facepalm:: I carried both for some time a few yrs ago and did settle on the 92 though!! Soooo... 92 it is!!!
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
MadTrapper

Post by MadTrapper »

I prefer the Barlow Jack. :D
"A knife is as personal and necessary a thing as a man ever owns." Bob Loveless
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I always considered those two patterns more medium sized than large. But if I had to pick one, it’d be the copperhead I think. I just never could warm up to the 97 pattern.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Post by geocash »

6292, & a 6233
Attachments
Case Jacks.jpg
geocash
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Jacks are my favorite. I voted for the 92 of the two available choices.
Now if the 6165 or 6265 was a choice I would have gone there.
That said, I have about 20 or so EDCs and have been carrying a CASE XX USA 6292 for about a month straight. A useful and attractive knife. Good size. I love the 75 and if they made an old two blades Jack in XX, I would be all over that. Unfortunately, they did not offer that.
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

zp4ja wrote:Jacks are my favorite. I voted for the 92 of the two available choices.
Now if the 6165 or 6265 was a choice I would have gone there.
That said, I have about 20 or so EDCs and have been carrying a CASE XX USA 6292 for about a month straight. A useful and attractive knife. Good size. I love the 75 and if they made an old two blades Jack in XX, I would be all over that. Unfortunately, they did not offer that.
There was one shown on one of the CASE threads some time back. I forget which of our members has it. It was either early in the XX era or the tested era. But it was a 6275 with the large clip and a pen blade on the same end. From the discussion, KY was quite rare.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=43779&p=441136&hilit=6275#p441136

Found it! But it was pre tested era!
Robert E. Lee
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Thanks Wade. Will have to look my books for that one.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

My preference is the large cigar jack 94 pattern at 4 1/4" closed. It was discontinued in the 1960's so maybe that's why it isn't an option in the poll.
Attachments
Case XX 6294 Green A #3 small.jpg
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

The 6249 is my preference for front pants pocket carry. Its rounded ends and the CopperHead hump covering the tang corners are both more comfortable and wear the pocket fabric a little less.

For a large Jack in a belt pouch I like a longer knife than a 6292. I prefer a 6211 1/2. It's the Cheetah without a lock or swing guard but with an added pen blade. The reproductions that were made for knife clubs are affordable. While the first reproduction's deep etched red blade decorations are too gaudy for me the second version is tastefully decorated. My guess is that to prevent them being fraudulently sold as originals Case will not make them without something that sets them apart from standard production knives but it could be they just do not think 6211 1/2s would sell well.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Gotta be a 49 for me of the two choices.
steve99f
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

At the start, it looked like the 92 was going to run away, but the copperhead made a late game surge. Looks to be a tight race ...
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”