Unpopular Patterns

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

Unpopular Patterns

Post by kootenay joe »

If you search "Great Eastern Cutlery" on ebay right now you will bring up about 250 listings. It is interesting to 'watch' a bunch of these to see the final price. Most sell for more than the original price and some are much more, 2-3x original price.
There are few patterns that do not sell well and i cannot understand why.
For example i just bought a 981316, a Northfield 4 3/4" "Texas Cattle Knife" with Kingwood handles for $140 which is either at or a little below original price.
At 4 3/4" this is the largest size GEC has made and they are not likely to make it again. There are 3 different '98's': Cattle knife, Whittler & 4 blade Camp knife. Both the Cattle & Whittler are slow sellers. Why ? The size makes these a very impressive knife and a real world work knife. The fit, finish & blade grinds are typical GEC: Right On.
Most of the GEC buyers are collectors so why is there little interest in having at least one 98 pattern knife ?
What are your thoughts on the 98 pattern ?
Are there patterns you have observed to be slow to sell, i.e. not wildly popular ?
kj
Attachments
s-l1600 (13).jpg
Eye Brand Man

Re: Unpopular Patterns

Post by Eye Brand Man »

I have the exact same knife, if I remember correctly it was around 110.00 or so new. But you got a good deal on it I have seen them sell for around 200.00. Now the camp knife version brings crazy money I don't really know why ::shrug:: Speaking of unpopular gec's I think the least popular/slow seller they ever made was the bird knife with the gut hook, they still can be found at some dealers.
Eye Brand Collector
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

While a good looking knife, three things would keep me from this -
1) size. My preference is 3 1/2 to 4 1/4, with a preference to keep it under 4.
B) the punch blade. Just not a fan. Put a spay on there, now I'm interested!
III) cost. $60 is pushing it for me.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

kootenay joe wrote:Are there patterns you have observed to be slow to sell, i.e. not wildly popular ?
Yes. The Moose. These have been left behind for a long time. Most GEC's sell quickly, but for some reason, this pattern doesn't. JMO.

"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Steve, the 98 "Texas Whittler" has the same master clip blade and a pen & sheepsfoot at the other end. No punch blade.
If $60 is "pushing it" then GEC are not going to be knives for you.
Basic new GEC's start as low as $80. They are an extremely good value even at $120. I suggest you push a little and get one or two of the less expensive ones. I'm sure you will feel that your money was well spent. And with GEC's you can sell it for what you paid, sometimes more.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

EBM, i think $110 is not correct for the new price. I just watched a youtube video from 2016 and the guy was reviewing the Texas Whittler with wood handles (snakewood ?) and said price was $173.50. The Texas Cattle version would have been a similar price. It's a big knife, big blades = more steel, more time grinding & polishing = higher price. This was never a $110 knife because it probably cost about this amount to make.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Moose is a hard one to understand. It is a popular pattern in general. The Case 75 pattern Moose and the Queen made Moose both sold very well and still do if you see one on ebay.
I think one day many of us will be kicking ourselves for not buying the GEC 82 when there were lots of them available. Pretty sure GEC will not make this pattern again given it's very low sale numbers, most stilling being at the dealers.
kj
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Maybe some day.
I've always admired the looks of most of the GEC offerings.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

kootenay joe wrote:Are there patterns you have observed to be slow to sell, i.e. not wildly popular ?
Here's another one, the 38 Special. These came out a long time ago and many are still available from various dealers.

"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I’m almost in the same boat with Steve.

1) I love the size.
2) I’d pack it.

But there are two things that keep me from it. First, I refuse to play the GEC game to get a GEC. Second, I’m neither retired or divorced. That means I have a wife and three kids to feed, clothe, and house all on my salary. Even in a month where I could afford one, I’d have a hard time justifying the extra expense to my family.

I’ll have to be satisfied with my HOK’s for now, or I still won’t be retired, but I may be divorced.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Steve Warden wrote:While a good looking knife, three things would keep me from this -
1) size. My preference is 3 1/2 to 4 1/4, with a preference to keep it under 4.
B) the punch blade. Just not a fan. Put a spay on there, now I'm interested!
III) cost. $60 is pushing it for me.
I agree w/ Steve. The punch blade is a no sale for me. Just don’t have any use for it.
I also think the Moose and Muskrat patterns, no matter who the makers, are slow sellers. I don’t care for either one of them.
I just wish GEC made a Cuttin Horse pattern, I would buy that in a heartbeat.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I doubt if they sold a lot of these. I kinda like it (probably why I bought one). On the other hand, I AM thinning my GEC herd. Just sayin.
488111-TEMPLAR-GREEN.png
templar001.jpg
templar002.jpg
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

kootenay joe wrote:EBM, i think $110 is not correct for the new price. I just watched a youtube video from 2016 and the guy was reviewing the Texas Whittler with wood handles (snakewood ?) and said price was $173.50. The Texas Cattle version would have been a similar price. It's a big knife, big blades = more steel, more time grinding & polishing = higher price. This was never a $110 knife because it probably cost about this amount to make.
kj
The original dealer price for a Kingwood 98 Cattle Knife from Knives Ship Free was $145.10. https://www.knivesshipfree.com/great-ea ... ree-blade/

My observations of the various 98 patterns is that the wood handled variations sold the slowest and some dealers might still have them. The Campagna versions seem to be the mostly highly sought after. My recollection is that all of the bone and micarta versions sold out within a month (that was fast then), but now sellout times are measured in days if not hours or minutes. My observation is that unused bone 98's currently (December 2018) sell with at least a 20% premium over the original dealer prices. As mentioned earlier the Camp Knife 98 variation sells with at least a 50% premium and often double (100%) or more.

Here are a few of the original dealer prices I could find.

Micarta 98 Cattle original dealer price was ~ $140
Tidioute 98 Cattle jigged bone ~$145
Kingwood 98 Camp Knife ~ $170
Northfield 98 Camp Knife smooth white bone ~ $170
Northfield 98 Camp Knife antique bone with Cow shield ~ $170
Northfield 98 Cattle antique bone with Cow shield ~ $150

As I recall, the Whittler variation was priced comparably to the Cattle variation.
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

kootenay joe wrote:EBM, i think $110 is not correct for the new price. I just watched a youtube video from 2016 and the guy was reviewing the Texas Whittler with wood handles (snakewood ?) and said price was $173.50. The Texas Cattle version would have been a similar price. It's a big knife, big blades = more steel, more time grinding & polishing = higher price. This was never a $110 knife because it probably cost about this amount to make.
kj
I believe I was mistaken on the 110.00, I was thinking of another knife. I checked my order history on CK , but it does not go back that far. I'm going to look tonight for the knife. I usually keep the receipt folded in the tube.
Eye Brand Collector
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

How did you find these prices ? I checked a few websites and all i saw was "Out Of Stock", no prices shown. Have you got a time machine for going back ?
The Texas Cattle knife shown in link above for $145 is the same knife i just bought for $140 and it had been listed on ebay for at least 2 weeks.
Calvin, i can see why your knife is a slow seller. It looks odd, like a Carnival knife you try to grab with the jaws and then drop before you get it to the chute. Remember way back, when TV was just starting ---.
kj
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Well, that Texas Cattle Knife is bigger than I usually carry. But I question just how many folks actually buy a GEC to carry. Too expensive, really. I carry a GEC at times, but I seriously doubt that I will ever make another new GEC an EDC. The one I carry is a 38 whittler, and I have looked at those 38 toothpicks like Mike posted, but they just do not appeal to me. I guess they do not appeal to a lot of other folks, too. And I suspect that is the problem with KJ's Cattle Knife too. It looks tough and functional anyone could want (assuming that you can open the blades without breaking a thumbnail) but when I picture it in my display case it is about as sexy as a boxcar. Sorry KJ, but you asked!
Mel
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I have an EDC box that contains duplicates of knives I already have. In that box are two 35s, an 81, a 74, a 54, a 43, and a 14.

I bought two (different) 38 Specials and both have been toted fairly regularly. Same with the 48 Improved Trapper and 77 American jack.

I missed out on the 98 but not for lack of trying to get a whittler, which I had every intention of putting into the rotation.

I also don't own any knife display cases (yet). :lol: ::shrug::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
markpreston

Post by markpreston »

The GEC rope knife or Navy knife seemed to have languished for quite a while especially with the wood handles.
I'm not into GEC overall because its a pain in the ass to try to get one and no way I'm paying a huge mark up on a brand that may or may not be around in another 10 years or so. I've seen WAY too many US knife companies go belly up or get bought and move overseas in the last 20 years or so.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have a good friend who is a good friend of Bill Howard, owner of GEC. The word is that GEC is not primarily a business to Mr. Howard. It is a passion and it gives him the opportunity to do what he really loves: make 'perfect' knives. I believe he would not sell for any amount of money because knives mean more than money.
When Mr. Howard finally assumes room temperature, the 'Hey-Day' of GEC will likely have passed. It would take a very dedicated special person to be able to continue making knives every one of which is 'right on' and so pleasing.
Yes, the 15 Rope knife i still see at dealer sites. This is exactly why i started this thread, so that we could have a list of those patterns that have not sold well.
Are there any others ?
There is a Pemberton # 06 coming up. I think it might be one that ends up on this list unless the handles are great. i.e. people will buy for the handles, not the pattern.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

A bit more on the 98 pattern: it is a big knife, but not overly large like a 6" folder is. If you have had one in hand you know that it is quite impressive, big but with easy smooth blade action and sharp edges, it is a tool you can use with confidence. I carry my Texas Camp Knife in a belt sheath. But even for the collector, it's size makes it unique and the fit & finish is as good as any GEC, so why are they being over-looked ?
kj
akarangerbluedog

Post by akarangerbluedog »

kootenay joe wrote:How did you find these prices ? I checked a few websites and all i saw was "Out Of Stock", no prices shown. Have you got a time machine for going back ?
kj,
For stuff on the internet, you can use the "wayback machine"

https://archive.org/web/

You can type in any url that existed in the past, and it will show you what was there. I had some old websites back in the 1990s and I was able to recall them last week.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

There IS a Time Machine ! Wow !
Thank you. i had no idea this was possible. What a huge amount of stored data.
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

One thing to remember about the 98 is that they were a Campagna SFO and the whittler variant in particular seems to have gone totally scarce. Aftermarket prices for the other patterns aside, the whittler is almost impossible to find mint in tube for under $200.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Were all 98 pattern knives a Charlie SFO ? I thought the Charlie SFO are the ones with "Burnt Orange Jigged Bone" handles.
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

kootenay joe wrote:Were all 98 pattern knives a Charlie SFO ? I thought the Charlie SFO are the ones with "Burnt Orange Jigged Bone" handles.
kj

Kj, you are right, there is also a Northfield version, Charlies are the Texas Camp Knife,I have both and a whittler, I don't know if I would call 98's unpopular, I've been offered crazy money for these but I'm not much of a seller. Don't know if we will ever see another GEC camp knife as the pattern gave GEC fits assembling to their standards.
Attachments
IMG_5266.jpg
IMG_5351.jpg
IMG_5356.jpg

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”