Case Mystery(?) Knife......

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
knife7knut

Case Mystery(?) Knife......

Post by knife7knut »

Picked this up today and thought I wouldn't have any trouble identifying it. Murphy's Law kicked in so I am imploring the Case gurus here to help me figure it out.
Fixed blade fish knife with semi-guards and three pin wooden handles.Stamp is pretty well corroded but looks like it could say CASE one way and possibly CLAUSS in an arc looked at another way.
Got out Jim Sargent's American Premium Guide to Knives & Razors(the only one I have that has decent pics of Case fixed blades)to see if I could find a match. Nope! The only wood handled one I found has no guards and the ones with guards are all green bone. The stamp is rather blurred but appears to be the old style CASE Tested XX stamp.I tried getting a decent pic but it does NOT want to photograph. Any ideas out there? The sheath appears to be original albeit cut off about 1/2 inch above the opening. No big investment($10). I have a couple of similar knives(sans guards);one of which is a Kinfolks and the other a Dexter-Harrington item.
Attachments
Case(Clauss)FishKnifeWithSheath$10 001.jpg
Case(Clauss)FishKnifeWithSheath$10 002.jpg
Case(Clauss)FishKnifeWithSheath$10 003.jpg
Case(Clauss)FishKnifeWithSheath$10 005.jpg
Case(Clauss)FishKnifeWithSheath$10 006.jpg
Case(Clauss)FishKnifeWithSheath$10 007.jpg
Case(Clauss)FishKnifeWithSheath$10 008.jpg
Kinfolks-DexterHarrington-Case..jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Case Mystery(?) Knife......

Post by terryl308 »

K7K, You have all the info that I have also, just a guess on my part, maybe it is a really old rehandle? Could be the bone got broken at some time and someone fixed it with wood. Interesting ole Case however. ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

That book is ANCIENT!! I believe the knife in question is proper and original. Case made a lot of those fish knife patterns in bone and wood. The Sargent's Case fixed blade section was written by Brad Wood a long time ago and most of the knives are from his collection. Since then he has amassed many, many more, and a ton of original factory catalogs, price lists, ads, and factory correspondence and he is the leading authority on Case hunting knives. Look for an article by him about Kinfolks knives coming in Knife Magazine in a month or two.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Gunsil wrote:That book is ANCIENT!! I believe the knife in question is proper and original. Case made a lot of those fish knife patterns in bone and wood. The Sargent's Case fixed blade section was written by Brad Wood a long time ago and most of the knives are from his collection. Since then he has amassed many, many more, and a ton of original factory catalogs, price lists, ads, and factory correspondence and he is the leading authority on Case hunting knives. Look for an article by him about Kinfolks knives coming in Knife Magazine in a month or two.
Thanks for the info Gunsil. I was pretty sure the handles were original anyway. Most of my,"library" is Stone Age anyway. I was just trying to research it and it is in pretty sad shape but is still scary sharp.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”