#82 Dixie Stockmans

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
m0nk

#82 Dixie Stockmans

Post by m0nk »

So who's excited about the run of 82s, Dixie Stockmans and jacks? I assume the 2 blade variant will be in a jack configuration, correct me if anyone has information to the contrary. From the clip blade style preference survey last month, I know there's a lot of muskrat clip fans out there in AAPK Land!

After a long anticipated production schedule update, and with Christmas coming up fast...they come out with a run of 82s. The production pics of the copperhead bone are looking pretty nice. Nevertheless, I don't think there will be a GEC tube under my Christmas tree this year. :( I was really hoping for a big crowd-pleaser run this time of year, like 77s or something for the masses.

What do you guys think?

-Lee
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: #82 Dixie Stockmans

Post by gsmith7158 »

Lee I like the looks of it . I've got a 3 blade stag on standby at CK. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

m0nk wrote:So who's excited about the run of 82s, Dixie Stockmans and jacks? I assume the 2 blade variant will be in a jack configuration, correct me if anyone has information to the contrary. From the clip blade style preference survey last month, I know there's a lot of muskrat clip fans out there in AAPK Land!

After a long anticipated production schedule update, and with Christmas coming up fast...they come out with a run of 82s. The production pics of the copperhead bone are looking pretty nice. Nevertheless, I don't think there will be a GEC tube under my Christmas tree this year. :( I was really hoping for a big crowd-pleaser run this time of year, like 77s or something for the masses.

What do you guys think?

-Lee
Lee, I am on stand by w/ CK for 3 different handles. I didn’t mean to sign up for more than one, but there was something funny going on w/ my iPad and I wasn’t getting a response on my first choice or my second so I put in a third choice. I thought I had missed out completely. Then later I get an email saying that I am on stand by for 3 knives. So if I get that many, I might be willing to part with one of them. SInce it was my mistake I felt obligated to take all three if I would happen to get all of them, I always keep my word even if it’s a mistake.
And to answer your question, yes I am excited. I just started collecting GEC’s this year and these are my first reserve knives to be on stand by for. Don’t know what to expect as far as whether I will actually get any or all. I have managed to be quick enough to get a TC Barlow a few weeks ago and a pattern they call Wallstreet. Can’t remember the pattern number and haven’t photographed it yet, just came late yesterday afternoon.
I can’t wait to see how they do a stockman, which is my favorite pattern.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I believe "Wallstreet" was the first #99.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:I believe "Wallstreet" was the first #99.
kj

It is pattern #99. You are correct. Had to look it up. You really know your GEC’s Roland.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: And to answer your question, yes I am excited. I just started collecting GEC’s this year and these are my first reserve knives to be on stand by for. Don’t know what to expect as far as whether I will actually get any or all. I have managed to be quick enough to get a TC Barlow a few weeks ago and a pattern they call Wallstreet. Can’t remember the pattern number and haven’t photographed it yet, just came late yesterday afternoon.
I can’t wait to see how they do a stockman, which is my favorite pattern.
SSk
SSk,

If you're looking for a larger stockman with a muskrat clip main, then the 82 should be right up your alley. I haven't checked the Mailcall thread... be sure to post pics of your TC and Wallstreet if you haven't already! Last I looked, several distributors still had the 66 Calf Ropers on the shelves, if you want a smaller GEC stockman (3.5") and you want it now. I've heard rave reviews about them.

I knew there would be guys interested in the 82s, and that's what makes the world go round. I'm just a little disappointed because the price point on the 82s is going to be a little above what I'd want to spend for Christmas gifts. Last year you could pick up a #78 single blade for around $80. If they offered something like that this year I'd probably grab one for both of my sons, who knows. But I'm guessing $115-$120 for the Tidioute 82s, and the design just doesn't appeal to me. But you can bet that GEC is going to do this right. I've never handled a GEC stockman before. Any reports of blade rub? Anyone have pics they can post of previous run 82s?

-Lee
cbnutt

Post by cbnutt »

Is this the stockman they did before that's about like a case 63047 ? I didn't get one before , when are they coming out with it ? Does anyone elese think if they done a version like the case 6318 it would be a good seller . id be all over it if they did a 18 style . ::tu::
Shoot low sheriff, he's ridin a Shetland.....
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

cbnutt wrote:Is this the stockman they did before that's about like a case 63047 ? I didn't get one before , when are they coming out with it ? Does anyone elese think if they done a version like the case 6318 it would be a good seller . id be all over it if they did a 18 style . ::tu::
These are are a relatively large stockman at 4 1/8 inches closed. They would be more like a 6392 or a 6375 except they have rounded bolsters.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I like rounded bolsters.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

How do you guys get onto the CK reserve list ? Do you check the website 2-3x per day ? Every time i check the CK website the reserve lists are full & closed.
Does CK sell all of the new GEC's by reserve ? Or are some also posted for those who do not have a knife reserved ?
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

kootenay joe wrote:How do you guys get onto the CK reserve list ? Do you check the website 2-3x per day ? Every time i check the CK website the reserve lists are full & closed.
Does CK sell all of the new GEC's by reserve ? Or are some also posted for those who do not have a knife reserved ?
kj
I can only answer your first question with any degree of accuracy. I get a text message from CKnet when he opens up a reserve. I signed up for that option a few years ago.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I do not have a mobile 'device' so i cannot do text messaging. On CK website i just checked and it is text only notification on reserve list opening.
This does give me the answer: without text ability, a person cannot get on the reserve list. I'm sure even some of those who do receive the text message do not get to the website fast enough to claim a spot on a reserve list.
In all my life i have never known of any item in this much demand.
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

CK uses a combination of email messages and a rather strange implementation of an alert notification via the "Remind" app (normally used for school class reminders and such). Either the app or an email will generally arrive when reserve lists go online. The lists themselves will fill at a rate commensurate with the sellouts on various large GEC dealer sites - that is to say, if the reserves aren't all-standby from the start, something like a TC Barlow will fill up almost immediately. Having a mobile device is almost mandatory to participate in the "lolly scramble" these days.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:I do not have a mobile 'device' so i cannot do text messaging. On CK website i just checked and it is text only notification on reserve list opening.
This does give me the answer: without text ability, a person cannot get on the reserve list. I'm sure even some of those who do receive the text message do not get to the website fast enough to claim a spot on a reserve list.
In all my life i have never known of any item in this much demand.
kj
Roland at least the 82 will be available at multiple dealers so we'll have a better shot at it than we will on that polished stag 85.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Now the 'other dealers' are also getting sold out soon after posting new GEC knives. Previously CK & KSF would sell out right away and the other dealers might still have a few examples left after 24-48 hours. Now all the GEC dealers are selling rapidly.
kj
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

kootenay joe wrote:Now the 'other dealers' are also getting sold out soon after posting new GEC knives. Previously CK & KSF would sell out right away and the other dealers might still have a few examples left after 24-48 hours. Now all the GEC dealers are selling rapidly.
kj
Roland,

The last couple of runs since perhaps the #44s have been short runs. The #14 run consisted of mostly SFOs of perhaps 100 pieces each, and the GEC house brand 14s were also limited numbers. So we have not seen big production numbers of a single variant for several months. This is making it hard for an average Joe to get the knife of his choice. For a while we were celebrating the bigger numbers, and then they do these short runs. What I've observed is that, 1. Mr. Howard does what he wants, and, 2. We can't predict what he's going to do next - there don't seem to be any trends. I hate to say it, but GEC seems to be creating artificial shortages again, which is something they've consistently denied doing.

I'm also frustrated at the CK remind system because the reserve drops are no-notice surprises, and I'm rarely at a computer at the right time. My phone is not-so-smart and I usually don't have it with me anyway. I believe Mike is genuinely concerned about being fair and he's doing the best he can, but the frustration is real. At least with the Northwoods drops one has a day's notice to attempt to plan for the scramble.

Getting back to the original post, it looks like the #82 Possum Skinner two-blade will be an opposite end configuration. Anyone know if it will have two backsprings or just one?

- Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I hope the "Possum Skinner" is a single blade knife but i won't bet on it. A 2 blade 1 spring knife is more challenging to get right than a 2 blade 2 spring knife.
If it is a 2 spring knife then the thickness will be the same as the Stockman so it makes more sense to buy the Stockman and get an extra blade.
Schrade made the 77OT Muskrat as both a single spring and a 2 spring knife. Have one of each in hand and you can see how attractive the slim single spring is.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:I hope the "Possum Skinner" is a single blade knife but i won't bet on it. A 2 blade 1 spring knife is more challenging to get right than a 2 blade 2 spring knife.
If it is a 2 spring knife then the thickness will be the same as the Stockman so it makes more sense to buy the Stockman and get an extra blade.
Schrade made the 77OT Muskrat as both a single spring and a 2 spring knife. Have one of each in hand and you can see how attractive the slim single spring is.
kj

The Micarta canvass stockmans are in this morning. Should I wait to see if one the bone handles comes in or buy this one? It’s not my first choice.
SSk
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Well the micarta stockman is flying off the shelves very quickly. That could be a bad omen for those of us waiting on natural scales. ::teary_eyes::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Blue Creek Cutlery has some of the micarta.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Maybe we should start an "After-Market Club": buy the Micarta ones and get them re-handled in blue-green mammoth. And call them "Northwood" ?
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Brilliant! AAPK's knife artisans could give KSF a run for its money. :lol: ::tu::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Soooo....I was on standby for a micarta 82 stockman at CK, and never got any sort of notice that they were in, or they had one for me, or not. I saw them up briefly on KSF, but didn't pull the trigger because I was waiting to see if my standby at CK was going to come through.
Did anybody here get one today through the CK early reserve system? Or hear anything from them?
In the past when I have missed out on a standby from CK they have sent an email or text to let me know, then I could pursue other options...
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

313 Mike wrote:Soooo....I was on standby for a micarta 82 stockman at CK, and never got any sort of notice that they were in, or they had one for me, or not. I saw them up briefly on KSF, but didn't pull the trigger because I was waiting to see if my standby at CK was going to come through.
Did anybody here get one today through the CK early reserve system? Or hear anything from them?
In the past when I have missed out on a standby from CK they have sent an email or text to let me know, then I could pursue other options...
I've got a stand by also Mike but no news from Ck although mine is for the stag which hasn't been released yet. I didn't receive any notification on my stand by on the 85 either,
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

313 Mike wrote:Soooo....I was on standby for a micarta 82 stockman at CK, and never got any sort of notice that they were in, or they had one for me, or not. I saw them up briefly on KSF, but didn't pull the trigger because I was waiting to see if my standby at CK was going to come through.

Mike, I hope they just haven’t gotten theirs out yet, CK that is. I did not get an email from them either. I am checking my email constantly now trying to be on top of these when they come out.
I passed on the Micarta today, it just didn’t grab me. I will hold out for one of the bone ones, if I am lucky.
I like the idea of buying those up and rehandling them.
SSk

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”