Knife dipped in Bees wax

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
fullpint47

Knife dipped in Bees wax

Post by fullpint47 »

Guys.
I picked up a pocket knife today completely encased in beeswax. The only thing I can make out on the knife is 3 dots on the little round disk like a smiley face. (Still learning). Can anyone tell me why it is encased? I do not want to open it if it depreciates value but also wont know the maker or anything.
Thanks in advance for the replys.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Knife dipped in Bees wax

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.

Good, bright, clear, in focus pictures would help us help you. Can you cut us a huss?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

That's a new one on me. Can't imagine what purpose that would serve. ::shrug:: Can you post some pictures? I'm curious what it looks like.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

The only reason I can think of for dipping an entire knife in beeswax would be if you were trying to protect carbon steel from moisture and perhaps corrosion like one would find in the tropics or at sea.
You have essentially sealed the knife in its own container and it should stay untouched by moisture in salt as long as the wax coating stays intact.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
fullpint47

Post by fullpint47 »

Here are a couple pics of the wax
IMG_0507.JPG
IMG_0510.JPG

Hope they open correctly.
rmsize

Post by rmsize »

It looks like cosmoline to me, not beeswax. Possibaly a millitary issued knife, they covered everything in cosmoline.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

rmsize wrote:It looks like cosmoline to me, not beeswax. Possibaly a millitary issued knife, they covered everything in cosmoline.
I think you're on to something. Looks like my Mosin Nagant when I first bought it.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Very interesting, I wouldn't open it.
AAPK Janitor
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

yup ... cosmoline, or some derivative there of ...
Never seen a knife packed like that. Interesting. ....
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Miller Bro's wrote:Very interesting, I wouldn't open it.
Why not?
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I'm with MB, if that knife was in my collection I'd do more research to find out more on the knife and leave it in the casing. Hard to believe that knife has lasted this long and no one has unwrapped it. Very cool piece to display. It probably isn't a highly valuable knife once unwrapped but the way it is.....find another one. I like it. ::tu::
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Miller Bro's wrote:Very interesting, I wouldn't open it.
I also agree with Dimitri. It's an interesting piece, much like finding a knife new in the package.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

espn77 wrote:I'm with MB, if that knife was in my collection I'd do more research to find out more on the knife and leave it in the casing. Hard to believe that knife has lasted this long and no one has unwrapped it. Very cool piece to display. It probably isn't a highly valuable knife once unwrapped but the way it is.....find another one. I like it. ::tu::
And there's the difference between a collector and an accumulator! :D
I'm an accumulator; I use what I get. I also collect toy GTOs (my first car was a '67 LeMans, the GTO wanna-be). They've all been taken out of their packaging and put on display. That's just me and how I like it. Nothing that I collect, correction, accumulate, will ever become an investment for me to retire with, so I enjoy 'em for the time I have 'em.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Steve Warden wrote:
espn77 wrote:I'm with MB, if that knife was in my collection I'd do more research to find out more on the knife and leave it in the casing. Hard to believe that knife has lasted this long and no one has unwrapped it. Very cool piece to display. It probably isn't a highly valuable knife once unwrapped but the way it is.....find another one. I like it. ::tu::
And there's the difference between a collector and an accumulator! :D
I'm an accumulator; I use what I get. I also collect toy GTOs (my first car was a '67 LeMans, the GTO wanna-be). They've all been taken out of their packaging and put on display. That's just me and how I like it. Nothing that I collect, correction, accumulate, will ever become an investment for me to retire with, so I enjoy 'em for the time I have 'em.
I’m w/ Steve on this one. How will you know what you have unless you take it out? I would think that cosmoline will be hard to get off of that knife.
Plus you can always reseal it after you get it cleaned and ready for show. Even 100 year old knives aren’t so delicate that you can’t handle them, I don’t see the harm in seeing what is underneath.
We want to see pictures when you get it done, if you do it.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I found a black handled Korean era Schrade Auto still packed in cosmoline with the cord attached. I cleaned off the knife and enjoyed being the first to actually touch the knife since it was stored when new. It has still never been snapped open, just gently eased open and is stored in a safe environment. I've never regretted cleaning off the cosmoline. ____Dave
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Excellent find ::tu:: - whatever is underneath and I assume possibly a rope knife, maybe a military utility knife based on what looks like a brass bail is no doubt mint! The question of whether to open it is indeed something I would struggle with in terms of deciding ::hmm:: ... if you knew what was underneath the Cosmoline and could get another I wouldn’t open it... I struggle with not knowing what is inside ::nod:: but I would probably keep it encased because once the seal is broken it can not be sealed again and considered mint in as found condition - that’s from a collector standpoint :wink: ... in the sealed Cosmoline you have a very rare find for sure - just my 2 cents and not worth much :) ..

Post by samb1955 »

I've had some M14 mags caked in that stuff, took alot to get them clean!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

samb1955 wrote:I've had some M14 mags caked in that stuff, took alot to get them clean!
Cosmoline is easy to get off. My Boot Camp Platoon was one of the first to have the M-14 issued to us (instead of the M-1) and they were still covered in cosmoline. The Drill Instructors set up 2 or 3 GI cans out by the wash racks with immersion heaters in them. Heated up the water nice and hot and we dipped our (partially?) disassembled rifles in the hot water. Cosmoline came right off and we were able to start the standard cleaning routine immediately. Throughout Boot Camp, when we were not sitting on our buckets, cleaning our rifles, we were rubbing linseed oil into the stock with our bare hand. Some of those rifles had some of the most beautiful wood you'd ever want to see but they all shined like a diamond in a goat's ...... Well you know the saying.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

I put the mags in a toaster oven but it was still a pain getting it all off the mags.
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

I put the mags in a toaster oven but it was still a pain getting it all off the mags.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

The coating on that knife is not cosmoline, it is some type of wax most likely artificial wax.

Leave it in its original state ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Good advice Dimitri ::tu:: - any guess what type of knife is under that wax?? :D ... I am just guessing based on what looks like a brass bail perhaps a rope knife or other military knife?? BTW - I had read that Cosmoline though a viscous petroleum substance when first used becomes wax-like after it dries and was used as a rust inhibitor... perhaps it looks different though than the wax you refer to on this knife as I have never seen Cosmoline...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

If that were my knife I'd have to remove that coating (whatever the heck it is) and see what lies beneath. Having an unidentifiable blob in my collection would provide me zero satisfaction.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

I have purchased router bits with the same coating.It's put there to stop rust or damaging the item.the knife is a electrician knife or trades man knife ( radio knife depends which country you come from ).If you don't want to use it leave the protection on.This is the first knife I have seen with this protection.As a collectors item it is a conversation piece when you have guests.I would leave the protections on.
When will you get another the some.
Just my opinion, I live in the country down under and we collect things which come collectable later.
The spelling might be a bit different to USA but as we where sent out as convicts ( a different word for slaves )and trying to use the English language when my ancient came from Ireland.
We love to beat the English in any sports.
Enjoy the knife.That's what it's all about.

Grant :)
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Shearer wrote:I have purchased router bits with the same coating.It's put there to stop rust or damaging the item.

Grant :)
Bingo. I knew there was something familiar about that stuff. It can be a pain to peel off (and other times it comes right off ::shrug:: ) but does a good job of protecting the cutting edges.

BTW, It's not wax. It's more of a soft plastic that is more the consistency of wax. Cut it with a utility knife (or pocket knife) and peel it off.
Attachments
Small-Roundover-Router-Bits.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”