My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: My latest Schrade

Post by JohnR »

Thank you Cal and thanks for the information on a Camillus connection.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

JohnR wrote:Picked up this Heritage Series whittler, this one marked for Hoffritz Cutlery.
Very pristine looking looking whittler, John. I have a couple of the Heritage series myself and I think they are a fine knifes. The color of the handle on yours is nice!

Cal - I do not think that Schrade ever switched to the Swinden key for the 804 line. I have several 804s of widely varying age, including a couple I got from you. They all have pivot pins through the bolster, even the Delrin handle ones, which I think would be in the Swinden key era.

I have read somewhere that Schrade's Heritage series was made by Camillus, but it seems like hard data is hard to come by.
Mel
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Dinadan wrote:I do not think that Schrade ever switched to the Swinden key for the 804 line. I have several 804s of widely varying age, including a couple I got from you. They all have pivot pins through the bolster, even the Delrin handle ones, which I think would be in the Swinden key era.

I have read somewhere that Schrade's Heritage series was made by Camillus, but it seems like hard data is hard to come by.
You sure could be right about that! None of their lockbacks or folding hunters ever had Swinden construction. I think the 123OT and 124UH did not, either.
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

I have had these two for a wile, any information on them... Ken
Attachments
3375.jpg
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

They were made for the Kentucky - Tennessee Bicentennial in 1992 from New Old Stock from the 40's I believe. Love the sabre blades on that set. Pretty sure they were an SFO for Parker Frost
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Oddly, Kentucky and Tennessee came into the Union during different years, 1792 and 1796, respectively. My notes say a run of 3000 but I don't know if that is accurate. There are no parts of these knives that were made earlier. The blades may be stainless but I have not tested them. The pattern number on their pile sides is 8104. They were also sold individually. I have a cased set available for anyone who needs one.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Notice that the pattern number on the Bicentennials is 8104, while the Heritage pattern numb er is 8041. Am I correct in thinking that the Heritage version is maybe ten years older than the Bicentennial?
Attachments
Schrade Bicentennial and Heritage knives
Schrade Bicentennial and Heritage knives
Schrade Bicentennial and Heritage stamps
Schrade Bicentennial and Heritage stamps
Mel
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have had Heritage whittlers with a 1983 shield.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The "8104" seems like a mistake in the stamping dye ?
kj
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

I was wrong about the date of issue on the Kentucky Tennessee Whittlers. They were issued as an SFO for Parker Frost for the 1976 Bicentennial.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

tongueriver wrote:Nice whittler. Schrade was looking pretty good in the 1980s. Who could see what was coming? :( I notice that there are through pins on that knife, so I reckon it was at least partly made by Camillus. A plus! ::tu::
Based on my observations I believe the 804 and its later variants never went to swinden. Perhaps a swinden whittler would have been too complicated, whittlers being difficult to make already. Either way I don't believe swinden was used on any of them. One of the few schrades to retain pin through like the lockbacks and such.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Schrade USA 106OT "Granddad's". Seems to have seen little use. It was one I became interested in after seeing it in the research pages. I saw one pop up for an $12 starting bid on eBay, put my max bid in for $22, then 6 days later, found I won the knife for $14 plus shipping.
DSCF0458.JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

It is amazing how handy those teeny tiny scissors can be. Good show! ::tu::
Jporter1974

Post by Jporter1974 »

I cannot say that cracked ice is my choice for handle material, but I will always be interested in the cut co. knives. This is a smaller knife, but it sure feels sturdy. I haven't been able to put it down for several days now ::super_happy:: ~Jon
Attachments
20181128_072722.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Jon, does this look like the right one?
2424C catalog cut001.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Cody, that little knife is one of my favorites. For such little money i was wondering if it was Schrade China but i can see the rust spots on it so definitely USA. That might be your best score for 2018. I would have bid over $50 for it.
kj
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

ULSTER 98
Attachments
98 4'' Stockman (4).JPG
98 4'' Stockman (5).JPG
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Interesting matchstrike pull on that Ulster and some handsome Delrin (not cheap-looking at all like some others I've seen), very nice find!
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Tsar Bomba wrote:Interesting matchstrike pull on that Ulster and some handsome Delrin (not cheap-looking at all like some others I've seen), very nice find!
You can see that Ulster Delrin (and the blade grind) on a bunch of Sears knives.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Tsar Bomba wrote:Interesting matchstrike pull on that Ulster and some handsome Delrin (not cheap-looking at all like some others I've seen), very nice find!

Ulster built a sturdy, nicely finished knife. Even the simple everyday working knives. All the ones I have, have some amount of mirror finish polishing on the blades. At least the mark side of the main blade. Even some of the electricians knives. Here is my other #98 in a Craftsman version. #9470
Attachments
98 Craftsman 9470.JPG
Electrician Knife TL-29.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Jporter1974 wrote:I cannot say that cracked ice is my choice for handle material, but I will always be interested in the cut co. knives. This is a smaller knife, but it sure feels sturdy. I haven't been able to put it down for several days now ::super_happy:: ~Jon
That's a nice one. When the blades are that good cracked ice looks more appealing :D
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

This one is coming all the way from Tasmania Australia courtesy of AAPK member Timstools. I'm using his pic's with his permission. I had thought that the NRA Bicentennial Bowie was the only one that had etching on both sides. Goes to show there is always a surprise around the corner when you collect Schrades. It will fit right in with my other Aurum Etched Bowies. Herman is already on the hunt for a piece of stag for it.
FIGHTING 36th-1.jpg
FIGHTING 36th-2.jpg
FIGHTING 36th-4.jpg
HERMAN WILLIAMS BOWIES.jpg
7. NRA BICENTENIAL - pile side-r.jpg
7. NRA BICENTENIAL - pile side-r.jpg (36.87 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
black mamba

Post by black mamba »

Nice knives! I've got one of those #9470 Ulster Craftsman knives in peachseed jigged Bonite. A lovely stockman!
CraftsmanOpen.jpg
CraftsmanPeachseed.jpg
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

dweb1897,
I have seen lots of those Schrade Bowie Aurum etched knives, but in my opinion that one is the nicest. The detail in that etch is amazing, and it continues to the ther side.
A good pick-up my friend and another sensational Bowie to add to your massive collection of Bowies.
Tony.
Jporter1974

Post by Jporter1974 »

Thanks for the info on the little knife. It is 3 and 1/8. I need to get me a schrade cut co era reference book, but all I ever have seen is the schrade walden era and up references. Any suggestions? ~Jon

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”