The Crease

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
SteelMyHeart85420

The Crease

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

Seems I've read/ seen the question asked before, and an answer given. I must be aquiring geezerdom, cause I disremember the purpose of the lengthwise crease between the bolsters on traditional pocketknife liners. Just strength/ stiffening? Someone wanna rattle the marbles loose, help me remember?
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The Crease

Post by jerryd6818 »

I have to confess my ignorance. I have no idea what your talking about. Would it be possible to provide a picture?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

jerryd6818 wrote:I have to confess my ignorance. I have no idea what your talking about. Would it be possible to provide a picture?
I agree. For a moment I thought maybe it was a word puzzle. Went way over my head.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

What They said ::shrug::
Tim
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

It opens the pocket just a bit at the top so the blades don't hit the liner.
I will post a picture on a bit.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

thefarside

Post by thefarside »

A photo of the crease. Hopefully Dale's picture will be a little better.
Attachments
106_1376.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Well, I'm going to need a picture. I read Rob's thread, looked at several knives and didn't see anything that looked even remotely like a "crease". ::uc::
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even after Jim posting a picture, I don't recall ever seeing anything like that. Is that only on old knives or certain patterns?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

This die pressed crease is added for strength. It is much harder to bend the liner with this added.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Learned something! :shock: I had noticed this phenomenon and thought it was a defect.
just bob

Post by just bob »

I've taken hundreds of knives apart and observed that some knives have this crease and others do not. I always thought it was due to the expansion / contraction of the handle material. Would have never guess it was designed that way. Thanks for posting.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

It is to keep the blades from rubbing the liners.I don't think it is done on all patterns.
Roger
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

The knives I have seen this on always had the depression pointed inward toward the cavity. Given this I don't see how it would afford the blades more space to keep from rubbing, in fact quite the opposite. I've always thought it to be a structural strengthening method. The liners will lay perfectly flat against the handle material at the edges and bolsters. The recess created will be between the handle material and the liner.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

btrwtr wrote:The knives I have seen this on always had the depression pointed inward toward the cavity. Given this I don't see how it would afford the blades more space to keep from rubbing, in fact quite the opposite. I've always thought it to be a structural strengthening method. The liners will lay perfectly flat against the handle material at the edges and bolsters. The recess created will be between the handle material and the liner.

Most likely a crease in metal is for strength. That’s why the bed of a pick up truck is constructed of bent and creased metal and not flat sheet metal.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
SteelMyHeart85420

Yeah, shoulda posted a picture with that....Thanks for the responses, gents
Attachments
PC010012.JPG
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I knew what SteelMyHeart85420 meant because I have read about it some time back and it must have been on this forum because I don't do knife lingo no where else.
Joe
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Well as they say, you learn something new every day.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Here is a Case 6254 that I have apart now. You can see how the liner follows the straight edge down from the top of the picture, from the spring side (rocker pin hole visible) and flairs out away from the straight edge at the bottom (arrow). I always thought it served the dual purpose of stiffening the liner and opening up a little more space in the blade well so in case the blades are not perfectly aligned, they would not rub on the liners. On the shell handle conversions I have done, when I make the new liners I have never put this crease in them and it doesn't seem to be an issue.
IMG_2560.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

It's called a dish or dishing, it was done long ago with the peel end of a special Cutler's hammer, they also made a hand die, much later a machine dished out the scales (liners).

The purpose was to create a dish shaped hollow in the scale so the handle material would lay flat and tight to the scales.
AAPK Janitor
SteelMyHeart85420

I can see the (secondary) benefit of stamping to ensure scales are laying flat at edges of liners, but as was stated earlier, two machined surfaces shouldn't need too much help with that...I'm going with the stiffening that the crease/ crimp would provide, unless there are better answers still out there
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

SteelMyHeart85420 wrote:...I'm going with the stiffening that the crease/ crimp would provide, unless there are better answers still out there
Ok, I hope you find a better answer.
AAPK Janitor
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Miller Bro’s is correct , it was done to hold / keep the liners snug to the handles . While installing handle pins this would insure a spring type connection to both handle and liner .
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

There is a video on YouTube that shows Trevor Ablett making this crease on a liner when assembling a knife. He doesn't call it a crease he calls it "dishing." He is showing Grace Horn how to make knives the old-fashioned way. There are actually three videos and they are quite informative. However I cannot understand what Trevor is explaining to Grace about the reason for the dishing. He tells her a you have to put the dishing in but I cannot understand the rest of what he says.
This occurs in the first video (there are three) at about 1:30 in the first video.
https://youtu.be/oE9ZR1ixP6w
Maybe someone with better hearing who understands Trevor's accent better than I do can translate for me. It seemed to me that his explanation to her involved the wooden handle somehow, but I could not really tell why.

They are on YouTube or they are also on the video link here on AAPK. They are on page 3 and page 2 of the video pages.
See the video link at the top of each page next to the FAQ icon.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
SteelMyHeart85420

The "doming" hand motion he made, and a reference to a gap, makes me think the reason does lie with keeping the scales flat. Fascinating design feature ::tu:: Wonder which knives I have without a "dishing", and how the scales lie on those...reason to pull a few out and look!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”