Canal Street Co-op Knives

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
KAW

Re: Canal Street Co-op Knives

Post by KAW »

RalphAlsip wrote:Supposedly there were only 5 knives made with the Wildebeest handles. The good folks at Red Hill confirmed there were 5 made and one was shipped before they got a picture so the picture shown above is 80% the total wildebeest run.
Did anyone else notice that two have two pins at the end & the other two have three?
Wonder why the extra pin?
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

KAW wrote:Did anyone else notice that two have two pins at the end & the other two have three?
Wonder why the extra pin?
I believe 3 pins is typical and the 2 pin examples are atypical. My thought when I saw this was that the smoother handles got the 2 pin treatment and the rougher / grooved handles got the 3 pin treatment.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Here are pictures of the Canal Street Co-op Pinch Lockback Wildebeest knife I received today. I believe it is the knife at the top of pile in the picture that Red Hill posted on Facebook that is shown earlier in this thread.

The Wildebeest handles are gorgeous! ::tu:: ::tu:: The fit and finish of the handles and the places where bone meets bolster, etc., are smooth with no snags. The knife opens smoothly and locks up tight with a reassuring snap. It snaps closed. The blade is super sharp. In short, if you were familiar with products produced by Canal Street Cutlery between approximately 2005 and 2015 my experience with this one sample makes it seem like the Canal Street Co-op knives are pretty much carrying forward the same tradition of well-made knives. Congratulations to Wally and the members of the Co-op on their relaunch. ::clapping::

My one minor complaint is the pile side tang has a spot that seems like it wasn't polished completely (see picture below). I've rubbed it with a chamois without much effect. I might try something more aggressive like a pencil lead tomorrow.

For comparison, I included a comparison picture of a circa 2012 Canal Street Pinch Lockback handled in black water buffalo horn. I have often carried this knife. One difference I noticed is how the handle pins on the older knife are polished smooth and flat to the bolster vs. the spun(?) pins on the newer knife. I likely won't be carrying the Wildebeest since it is about 3 time the cost of the black buffalo horn. :)

I really hope to see the Squeeze lockback and the Cannitler make a comeback in a nice handle material like the Wildebeest.
Attachments
Canal Street Co-op Pinch Lockback Wildebeest Front & Back
Canal Street Co-op Pinch Lockback Wildebeest Front & Back
Canal Street Co-op Pinch Lockback Wildebeest Top & Bottom.jpg
Canal Street Co-op Pinch Lockback Wildebeest #3 small.jpg
Canal Street Co-op Pinch Lockback Wildebeest #4 small.jpg
Canal Street Co-op Pinch Lockback Wildebeest Tang Close Ups
Canal Street Co-op Pinch Lockback Wildebeest Tang Close Ups
Canal Street Compare Pinch Lockback Wildebeest to Black Buffalo Horn.jpg
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Great looking knife and pics, thanks for sharing.
KAW

Post by KAW »

Very knice lookin' knife... actually both of them are (I like the black water buffalo horn also)... 8) ::tu::
RalphAlsip wrote: One difference I noticed is how the handle pins on the older knife are polished smooth and flat to the bolster vs. the spun(?) pins on the newer knife.
Interesting notation about the pins. I received the new Co-op's American Chestnut Pinch Lockback back at the end of August & it has the flat polished pins. I wonder if its a variation due to it being different makers within the co-op?
'til later....
Ken

Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

It has been 4 months since I paid for a stag boys knife, zero communication from RHC. The fit and finish would have to perfect for me to care at this point.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Montanaman wrote:It has been 4 months since I paid for a stag boys knife, zero communication from RHC. The fit and finish would have to perfect for me to care at this point.
If you are interested, I can PM you a phone number for the person who handles the Canal Street knife orders at RHC. I agree the communication could be better from RHC especially given that the initial timeline set forth has not been met.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I'm in the same boat regarding the stag boys knife. When the new line was launched I ordered one of the knives and was later contacted letting me know that they had oversold them and I would not be receiving one. I was offered the stag knife in place of the one I ordered and was told it would be a month or so before they would become available. I agreed to the substitution. Like Kris, I have yet to hear another thing from them regarding the knife they promised me. I don't think it's Canal Streets fault. I think RHC has done a poor job on their end of this transaction...…..twice!
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

RalphAlsip wrote: If you are interested, I can PM you a phone number for the person who handles the Canal Street knife orders at RHC. I agree the communication could be better from RHC especially given that the initial timeline set forth has not been met.
Thanks, much appreciated, might take you up on that if I don't hear anything by Tgiving. I feel they should have produced the knives first, then put the small numbers up for sale.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I'm in the same boat for the stag knife. IIRC, the others took a little longer to finish/ship, and they were in front of the stags. I wouldn't be too worried. If Eric is involved, I'm confident we'll get them.
Airborne 1

Post by Airborne 1 »

Has any one spoke with Eric about the hold up ,@ea42,just curious ?
C/2/505PIR 11B4P 68-69 (RVN)
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

I have seen Erics name at the bottom of the forum often. This is "the straw that broke the camels back" for me. I have tried to like CSC over the years, but I guess there is a reason they are out of business, and the Co-Op can't produce a small number of knives in a timely fashion.
Airborne 1

Post by Airborne 1 »

I sent Eric a e-mail about it a few min. ago. We'll see how that goes .Robin at RHC and I are on a 1st name bases now. she's as in the dark as we are . Maybe the knife will be very very well done and worth the wait. ::shrug:: Thats my storey and I'm sticking to it ! ::skeptic::
C/2/505PIR 11B4P 68-69 (RVN)
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

I like Eric and think he is a great craftsman, I just had higher hopes for the Co-Op.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Feel free to cancel the order with Red Hill....I am sure there are plenty of folks standing in line to receive one of these knives...I am....lol

Tom
KAW

Post by KAW »

Montanaman wrote:I have seen Erics name at the bottom of the forum often. This is "the straw that broke the camels back" for me. I have tried to like CSC over the years, but I guess there is a reason they are out of business, and the Co-Op can't produce a small number of knives in a timely fashion.
Eric is only one of the cutlers in the co-op & may not even be involved with the pattern in question... nor may he even be aware of his name being mentioned in this thread. The only definite person to know the answer is Walter Gardiner... head of the co-op, who is running the whole shebang...
'til later....
Ken

boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

FYI, Red Hill Cutlery has 2 new CSC knives available for order. I think there will be 25 of each made.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

Reading most of the threads posted and the pics supplied, i am perplexed that the tang stamp didn't change with the involvement of Red Hill Cutlery.

I was imagining that the tang stamp would read "Canal Street Cutlery Co. Co-Op". As it is, the tang stamps are the same as when they were at Canal Street. My thoughts were that the tang stamp would reflect the new vernture and give us a "Co-Op" in the stamp and differentiate between the knives made in the two different cutlery shops.

Just saying.
Tony.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Head's up folks. Red Hill has two more Co-op knives available for preorder. Get em while you can.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

I'm going to have to get out of my cave more often. I was unaware that the Canal Street Coop was attempting a comeback until a fellow member brought it up in a discussion of canittlers on the canoe thread. Thank you RalphAlsip for waking me up. I tend to over-hibernate sometimes! ::rotflol:: I think this is great even if the number of knives produced is small. Having another source of quality American made knives is a big deal. I hope they decide to offer the canittler pattern. ::tu::

I would love to see Queen reemerge as well. I had a short email conversation with Ken Daniels and he didn't offer much hope.
A GOOD KNIFE IS LIKE A GOOD FRIEND, IT'LL NEVER LET YOU DOWN.

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I saw an update on the stag knives today.

Production Update:
Canal Street Stag Boy's Knife
We pre-sold these earlier this year. If you pre-ordered one we are sorry for the inconvenience and elongated wait. If all goes right, all pre-orders on these should be filled by end of December.
We thank you for your patience
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

glennbad wrote:I saw an update on the stag knives today.

Production Update:
Canal Street Stag Boy's Knife
We pre-sold these earlier this year. If you pre-ordered one we are sorry for the inconvenience and elongated wait. If all goes right, all pre-orders on these should be filled by end of December.
We thank you for your patience
It is nice that RHC sent this out. It would have been even better a couple of months ago though. But, like I have said before, getting a quality made knife is the main objective. I would rather have that with delays than a piece of junk made quickly.
Now, some WIP from Eric would be icing on the cake! Sounds like they are heading in the right direction anyway.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Just had a nice conversation with Josh, looking forward to the knife.
S2K

Post by S2K »

RalphAlsip wrote:Here are pictures of the Canal Street Co-op Pinch Lockback Wildebeest knife I received today. I believe it is the knife at the top of pile in the picture that Red Hill posted on Facebook that is shown earlier in this thread.

The Wildebeest handles are gorgeous! ::tu:: ::tu:: The fit and finish of the handles and the places where bone meets bolster, etc., are smooth with no snags. The knife opens smoothly and locks up tight with a reassuring snap. It snaps closed. The blade is super sharp. In short, if you were familiar with products produced by Canal Street Cutlery between approximately 2005 and 2015 my experience with this one sample makes it seem like the Canal Street Co-op knives are pretty much carrying forward the same tradition of well-made knives. Congratulations to Wally and the members of the Co-op on their relaunch. ::clapping::

My one minor complaint is the pile side tang has a spot that seems like it wasn't polished completely (see picture below). I've rubbed it with a chamois without much effect. I might try something more aggressive like a pencil lead tomorrow.

For comparison, I included a comparison picture of a circa 2012 Canal Street Pinch Lockback handled in black water buffalo horn. I have often carried this knife. One difference I noticed is how the handle pins on the older knife are polished smooth and flat to the bolster vs. the spun(?) pins on the newer knife. I likely won't be carrying the Wildebeest since it is about 3 time the cost of the black buffalo horn. :)

I really hope to see the Squeeze lockback and the Cannitler make a comeback in a nice handle material like the Wildebeest.
Ralph, your WB is achingly beautiful. Congrats!

Philco, frequently check the New Posts link. That's how I found out. I've got a red flannel micarta pinch lockback on order, and there are ten more in stock.
T.J.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Got word there shipping the Flannel Pinch Lock back ::tu::

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”