What Say You?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
wlf

Re: What Say You?

Post by wlf »

I don't get the great difference in the handles. ::shrug:: Makes for interesting conversation.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

tongueriver wrote:I don't understand why so many people think that this knife is some kind of counterfeit. Schrade, and other companies were happy to make substitutions of various kinds that did not quite fit the catalog pages, to make a customer happy. I think the knife is absolutely authentic, but heavily worn, cleaned and priced too high.
I can tend to be pessimistic about such things but there is enough about this knife that doesn't sit right with me that I am more likely to say no than yes when it come to being original.

Never seen or heard of such a knife before.
Heavily buffed. That in itself is enough for me to question a knife as being original.
Inconsistent handle wear and jigging.

Inconclusive as so many things are but I'm inclined to think Frankenknife before I'd say original. I'd be hard pressed to put anything more than money as a good user in it.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

With a used vintage knife that is all original, have it in hand and you KNOW it has not been altered. You don't know because you have inspected every little detail. You know from just being in the presence of the knife. I cannot explain it any better but i am sure every experienced collector here has had this feeling or experience.
If a knife brings uncertainty into your thoughts then likely it has been altered. Not definitely, but probably.
kj
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Definitely a legit knife guys, although with quite a bit of pocket wear on the mark side. Looks like the main blade may have seen the buffer too. I've got one just like it. Not a Navy knife but a fancier civilian version with the old pick bone jigging:
Schrade Navy_225.JPG
Eric
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

ea42 wrote:Definitely a legit knife guys, although with quite a bit of pocket wear on the mark side. Looks like the main blade may have seen the buffer too. I've got one just like it. Not a Navy knife but a fancier civilian version with the old pick bone jigging:

Schrade Navy_225.JPG

Eric
What I sed.
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

I don’t believe anyone has said a thing about it being counterfeit , just saying the knife had been monkeyed with to the point were it has to many red flags .
The newly posted example is a very nice knife and obviously original .

Mike

tongueriver wrote:
ea42 wrote:Definitely a legit knife guys, although with quite a bit of pocket wear on the mark side. Looks like the main blade may have seen the buffer too. I've got one just like it. Not a Navy knife but a fancier civilian version with the old pick bone jigging:

Schrade Navy_225.JPG

Eric
What I sed.
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Great thread with a good 'lesson'. Most of us have been fooled by a skillfully reworked vintage knife. Here is an example of the opposite: an authentic knife that raised suspicions about it's authenticity leading to thoughts that it is a re-work.
Calvin with experience and a catalog picture and then Eric with another example, and much direct Schrade experience, proved it to be all original.
The 'lesson' ? I suppose is to keep an open mind and consult with colleagues.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"just saying the knife had been monkeyed with"
To me, cleaning and/or buffing is not "monkeying". Most of us clean our old knives to some degree, even if very superficial to remove surface 'gunk'.
I see "monkeyed" as meaning parts swapped.
kj
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Good point , monkeyed with was probably not the best word to describe the OP knife , cleaned to the point were it causes red flags :)
BTW my definition of “monkeyed with” simply means messed with and not in original condition .

kootenay joe wrote:"just saying the knife had been monkeyed with"
To me, cleaning and/or buffing is not "monkeying". Most of us clean our old knives to some degree, even if very superficial to remove surface 'gunk'.
I see "monkeyed" as meaning parts swapped.
kj
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

They are out there.
monkey.jpg
monkey.jpg (9.15 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Gorilla with beautiful eyes.
kj
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Great post with lots of good input. AAPK members have once again come to the rescue.

The knife Eric posted is a beautiful example of what I like to see in a vintage knife. It shows that such a knife was made and that the OP knife could indeed be all original. All in all I still don't like the OP knife or it's pricing. It has enough about it to keep me away.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Thanks to all that participated.

Eric's knife is definitive. ::tu::

Charlie (Not The Canadian) Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That cat on Ebay that is the purveyor of the O.P. knife is going at it with a vengeance, some of which are really nice, but the prices! :shock: Oh, the prices! :shock: I guess I will continue to prowl less-exalted halls.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/union_razor/m. ... 7675.l2562
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

tongueriver wrote:That cat on Ebay that is the purveyor of the O.P. knife is going at it with a vengeance, some of which are really nice, but the prices! :shock: Oh, the prices! :shock: I guess I will continue to prowl less-exalted halls.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/union_razor/m. ... 7675.l2562
He does have some nice ones Cal. If he gets $275 for that Empire easy open I may have to list all of mine. :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

4267238B-1AE3-49FA-A300-E1F62263614C.jpeg
8DBF71FD-D149-41A6-A9E0-23041C59234C.jpeg
Great knife Eric. The jigged bone on your knife is the type generally associated with the curved Schrade stamp. There are some examples like your that turn up from time to time with the straight stamp and examples like the one pictured here that show up with a curved stamp and a later bone. These are transitional knives and I have not been able to identify a definitive year where the change was made but it likely corresponded with another major event that was going on at the time. Around 1915-1916 Schrade reorganized. George Schrade officially left his post as president and Louis Schrade moved from treasurer to president. He made some major production changes. Schrade also opened up the Middletown plant 1917-1918. All three Walden manufacturers were working together to fill a huge navy order at this time. Although Walden held the contract. In 1918-1919 George came back from Germany and started making autos with challenge which triggered a lawsuit bought forth by Schrade cut co. George won the suit but if I recall challenge was using a curved stamp at the time. This is an abbreviated history naturally but your knife and the conversation here is very interesting. Also pictured here is a challenge version of the same pattern.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

James, how have you managed to find these details on the early days of Schrade Cut Co. ? Are you thinking of putting it all together into a book ?
kj
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

KJ, George Schrade’s grandson put together a book about his life. Some of it is posted in Collectors of Schrade web site. It is very interesting. Also on collectors of Schrade are company news letters that have self written articles that contain great info. Also a gentlemen named string cooper wrote a history of Walden which is a great resource. Some dates vary which is typical for schrade I guess. I started my collecting with Schrade but for a while now have been collecting Honk Falls. Sometimes I’ll read an entire book just to find a sentence that gives a clue about Honk Falls. I use to think Schrade was difficult to figure. And yes I am putting together a collectors guide. When studying pocket knives many of us start with the knife and work our way from there. Studying honks forces you to take a big picture approach and study what was going on in industry, economics, and buisness. Kind of a top down approach to find answers. It is a lesson in history and how pocket knives fit in. When you look at pocket knives from this perspective things fall easier into place. People like Levine, Seargent, and Goins have done amazing work. These guys forgot more about pocket knives then I will ever know but there is more to learn and some of their info is incomplete or sometimes inaccurate. So I’m doing it the old fashion way.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”