Lake and Walker Question

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
cody6268

Lake and Walker Question

Post by cody6268 »

I saw a Lake and Walker with "Special Edition" on the blade. Was this the version with the BG-42 steel blade? And, is $25 a fair price for that?
tongueriver

Re: Lake and Walker Question

Post by tongueriver »

I am not an expert but I see red flags here. Good pictures might help. I think only the first 1000 knives had BG42 steel. They did NOT say U.S.A. on the tang. They DID have a tiny serial number. The blade was NOT serrated.The first 500 were mated with a D'Holder designed fixed blade with matching serial numbers and a plastic display, along with some other bling. After these 1000 knives, there was a different version with a partially serrated blade, which did not have BG42 steel. I know nothing about them. And THEN.... I think there was what I call a knockoff. Someone else here definitely knows more about this than I do, but maybe this will get you started.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Some pics of one of the first 500. The following 500 also were serialized and had the fancy steel. No other L&Ws had BG42 to my knowledge.
Lake & Walker 281001.jpg
Lake & Walker 281002.jpg
serial number L&W.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

This was the listing photo.

S_LW_1.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

There is a China Lake & Walker that looks identical. Either way $25 for that knife is an o.k. deal if the knife functions properly.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

kootenay joe wrote:There is a China Lake & Walker that looks identical. Either way $25 for that knife is an o.k. deal if the knife functions properly.
kj
The original post knife, to be sold by "Vern's", has a U.S.A. stamp on it. It is clearly not BG42 steel and not from the first 1000, but I think it is one of the genuine second version types, made in the U.S.A.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

" has a U.S.A. stamp on it."
So $25 is a good deal for the buyer if there are no 'issues'.
kj
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

The Schrade Lake and Walker first appeared in the Schrade catalogs in 1999.
These two flyers were also put out about that time with information about the series.
Perhaps they will help add perspective to the discussion. I do have one of the standard issue Lake & Walker, but I do not have the First Production Run with the BG-42 steel.

The OP asked:
cody6268 wrote:I saw a Lake and Walker with "Special Edition" on the blade. Was this the version with the BG-42 steel blade? And, is $25 a fair price for that?
I think the special edition was in SFO for Vern's, who or whatever that is. Definitely not one of the BG-42 versions of the Lake & Walker but with no functional or severe cosmetic issues, worth the $25. If you ever have a knife that has BG-42 steel offered to you for $25, as long as it is legitimately BG-42 steel I would recommend grabbing it! I had a Buck 110 from the Buck custom shop that had BG-42 steel and it and it was scary, scary sharp! BG stands for Bearing Grade, so it is a very high quality steel capable of Rockwell C hardness of 61 – 62.
A number of years ago, before Chuck Buck passed away, I was telling him about the 110 from the custom shop with the BG-42 steel. He said that, "That is a good one, we can't even get BG-42 it anymore. I wish we could still get it."

Here is a bit more information on the BG-42 steel from a online:
"BG 42 steel is A proprietary alloy of Timken Latrobe Steel, BG 42 is a high-performance, bearing-grade martensitic stainless steel used in the aerospace industry. Because of its high strength and ability to reach high Rockwell hardness (Rc 61-62), BG 42 steel is well suited for blades that are subjected to extreBG 42 steel is A proprietary alloy of Timken Latrobe Steel, BG 42 is a high-performance, bearing-grade martensitic stainless steel used in the aerospace industry. Because of its high strength and ability to reach high Rockwell hardness (Rc 61-62), BG 42 steel is well suited for blades that are subjected to extreme use."
Attachments
SC00-CP164.jpg
SC00-SLW2.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Dale i think those flyers are both for the second version with Schrade+ steel.
I think the BG 42 version came with plain edge only, no serrated version. Correct ?
And, do all of the BG 42 have a serial number ? If not how can one ID the BG 42 ones ?
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

The first version, non-serrated, BG42, had serial numbers. No other BG42 knives exist as far as I know, so the serial # is key. 1000 units. The first 500 of these came in a set with a Schrade D'Holder fixed blade and sheath, pouches, papers and a plastic display stand. The next 500 were sold by themselves, and I do not know the packaging. Then the second version was sold, with serrated blade and NON BG42 steel. I have no idea on any aspect of them beyond the flyers shown above by Orvet.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Calvin. Finally an explanation so clear that even i now understand. Only 1 further question: did the second version (Schrade+ steel) come with a plain edge as well as the serrated edge ?
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

kootenay joe wrote: did the second version (Schrade+ steel) come with a plain edge as well as the serrated edge ?
kj
Now that is one that I do not know. I have not seen one.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Whoops, the answer is above: the lower of the 2 flyer images shows a plain edge knife and picture is marked "SLW2". So, yes the second version with Schrade+ steel did come with a plain edge as well as the serrated edge.
kj

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”