???Old Timer handle and shield with 885UH blades???

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Lorinda

???Old Timer handle and shield with 885UH blades???

Post by Lorinda »

As my husband and I have been going through my late father-in-law's knife collection, we have came across one that has us confused. It is an 4" Old Timer handle with shield but it has 885UH blades. I have searched the internet and this site for hours and have not found anything like this.
IMG_20181107_212935.jpg
IMG_20181107_212839.jpg
IMG_20181107_212723.jpg
Any help would be appreciated.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old Timer handle and shield with 885UH blades

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Possibly what's called an "end of days" knife. Just prior to Schrade declaring bankruptcy the employees assembled knives from available inventory parts, without regard to "correct" pattern. If parts could be put together into a functional knife they were used.

There may be another explanation I'm unaware of. Some of the Schrade experts will know.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Lorinda

Re: ???Old Timer handle and shield with 885UH blades???

Post by Lorinda »

Thank you for your quick response.
Would that make it more or less valuable? We have been trying to sell most of the collection but are keeping a few.

Should we attempt to clean the ones in similar condition or leave them all as is?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Don't clean them any more than necessary to remove loose dirt and active rust. Active (red) rust can usually be safely removed by rubbing with a pencil lead (graphite). A soft cotton cloth, an old toothbrush and some lukewarm water with a little dish soap should do the rest of the job. Be sure to rinse and dry them thoroughly (some compressed air if you have access to any, to blow out any excess water). After drying thoroughly, oil the blade pivots sparingly with a lightweight oil, and wipe down all the metal (blades and backsprings inside and out) with the lightweight oil. If you're interested in more about cleaning here's a link to more info viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54157

I'll leave comment about value to the Schrade experts.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Lorinda

Post by Lorinda »

Thank you again for the information and advice. I really do appreciate it. I have been doing a lot of research on American made knives and am really getting interested in pocket knives.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Lorinda wrote:Thank you again for the information and advice. I really do appreciate it. I have been doing a lot of research on American made knives and am really getting interested in pocket knives.
You've found the right place for researching and talking knives. We'd like to see pictures of more of your father's collection.

If you enjoy history you'll enjoy pocket knives. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

The knife shown here in the original post may have indeed been end of days knife, or it may have been just a case of an Uncle Henry blade mixed in with some 8OT blades.
Notice that the tang stamp on the clip blade says SCHRADE+ on the top line of the tang stamp. This signifies that the knife was made with stainless steel blades. However if you look at the other two blades they are obviously discolored and have developed considerable patina. This tells me those are carbon steel blades. In general the blades of a knife are all made with the same type of steel. What you have is a 8OT with an 885UH blade.
How did that blade ended up in an Old Timer? It may have been an 885UH blade dropped on the floor next to a machine where they were assembling 8OTs. Someone may have picked it up without looking assuming it belonged in an 8OT and tossed it in the blades being assembled in the 8OT's. Or it could have been they run a batch of 885's and one blade got hung up somewhere in the machinery and when the 8OT blades were dumped in the machinery and not the 885 blade loose, and it was installed in an Old Timer.

The wrong blade in that knife doesn't necessarily make invaluable, to me one would make that knife valuable is the fact that it belonged to someone I loved. ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”