Hello from the Black Hills

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
Wonderboy

Hello from the Black Hills

Post by Wonderboy »

Hi all. I finally joined this group a month ago after lurking in the shadows for a while reading the forum posts. I'm not a collector or dealer but have owned and used knives nearly every day for 70 years and have the scars to prove it. I didn't intentionally intend to accumulate a pile of knives, but for some reason more than 100 have shown up on my work benches, in my tool boxes, in my pockets and everywhere that knives like to live. I know that some of you buy and sell more than 100 knives before breakfast some days, but most of mine have a story to tell and a personal attachment to me. I go by the name "Wonderboy" because there are so many knife questions that I am wondering about, and I will ask some of them and post pictures as I think of them.

My first knife was an old Remington R4603 with all 3 blades broken off that my grandad gave me at age 5. He had used it to ream out his smoking pipe. There followed an assortment of dime store knives until about the mid 1950's when my brother and I started carrying Case stockman pattern knives for general ranch work. Hunting season usually found a Western fixed blade hung on our belts. From there the accumulation grew to include a couple dozen fixed blades, a dozen locking folders, a dozen that I've built from scratch and from kits, and a pile of what you call slip-joints in various shapes and sizes. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from you guys and having my questions answered.
Steve Warden

Re: Hello from the Black Hills

Post by Steve Warden »

Welcome from New Jersey!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

::welcome:: to AAPK from the Florida Panhandle. Glad to have you, Wonderboy, sounds like you know what a knife is all about! ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Welcome from California where you can't have any fun. Glad to meet you Sir. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome! Your story sounds similar to mine. We're close in age, but I recognized my knife affliction by around age 20. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

A kindred spirit for sure! Glad to have you and looking forward to hearing more! Welcome! Glad that I'm not old like you, though. 72 is plenty for me so far. I am in Sheridan. Are you in Rapid?
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Welcome from Kentucky Wonderboy. Looking forward to any photos and stories you have to share. ::handshake::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Glad to make your acquaintance. I look forward to your working man knives. ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

::welcome::
I have been going too "The Hills" bout every year since 1981..
stopped off in Deadwood this year ...2018...to see a friend
on my way home to Arizona...had to go to church at "Bear Butte" as well while I was there..
this is what I was greeted with 9-28-18...
took me 3 days to thaw out once I got home !!!

stag
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
SNOW TOPPED BLACK HILLS.jpg
Wonderboy

Post by Wonderboy »

tongueriver wrote:A kindred spirit for sure! Glad to have you and looking forward to hearing more! Welcome! Glad that I'm not old like you, though. 72 is plenty for me so far. I am in Sheridan. Are you in Rapid?
Yes, toungeriver, I have been in Rapid for 28 years continuously now and 8 years off and on before that. I even lived over the hill west of you for a year, in Powell, circa 1966-67.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Welcome. I just visited the Black Hills about a month ago. It's my first time back since spending 4 years there while stationed at Ellsworth back in the early 70's. We lived in a trailer park just above the bridge that comes in to town below Dinosaur Hill until the 1972 flood moved us. Then we lived out on School Drive in the trailer park near the race track. Our old trailer is still sitting there and occupied and the same family owns the park. Even the same neighbor lives in the trailer that sits next to ours. We've ben talking about going back for 40 some years and one of my son's finally drove my wife and I out there to see old friends and revisit old haunts. Second to Northern Minnesota, that would be my choice of a place to live. Again welcome to the friendliest site on the internet. ____Dave
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Welcome to AAPK from East River of South Dakota ::welcome:: ::welcome::
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

Return to “Member Introductions”