New deer old knife

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

New deer old knife

Post by terryl308 »

A friend of mine just got this nice mule deer but bow hunting in Frontier Co. Nebraska, he didn't have a knife with him so we used this knife I had made about 14 years ago for his wife, but he kept it in his pick up for such uses, Cant' really see it cause it is in a sheath but it did the trick. Good ole O-1 tool steel, keeps a pretty good edge. thanks for looking, Terry
Attachments
DSC_2028.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
XX Case XX

Re: New deer old knife

Post by XX Case XX »

Holy Smokes!! That's a nice one!! Looks like a big one too. My my, he's going to remember that one. Congratulations to your buddy. ::nod:: ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Nice deer. He didn't have a knife with him? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

With the way all this hunt went down Terry...
I would request some back strap from him !!!
Hope you are still moving a head from our last conversation bud

Will
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Beautiful deer and I bet the knife looks as good and performed even better. ::tu::
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

::clapping:: WOW nice Buck :shock:
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

::tu:: !!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice buck!
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

WOW!! :shock: NICE BUCK!!! ::tu:: Congrats to him!!! John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I'm jealous ! We have not had big mule deer here for over 25 years when the population had a sudden crash and has yet to recover.
It takes skill and perseverance along with a little luck to get any buck with a bow and the big bucks tend to be more reclusive and very wary of any change in their environment.
Most of us bow hunters never get a mule deer buck.
kj
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Hi Terry -

That is one big buck - your friend must have been quite happy with that one ::nod:: - how much does that weigh? - looks a good 2-300 lbs?? Nice big rack too!! What’s the tail look like on that - good for fly tying if it is full and has long fibers :) ...

Hope you’re well ::handshake:: ...
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Thanks for all the comments guys, Lee, the tail on a mule deer is pretty small, when I get back down there I'll take a photo, I'm sure I can come up with one if you want. He is going to make a head mount of this one, so I'll find out what they do with the balance of the hide, when you cape one out, it doesn't leave much to tan, so I'm sure I can get one for you. We didn't weigh it but I would guess close to 175-200 lb field dressed. He was a big bodied thing and was in the rut, so his neck was really swelled up. ::handshake:: Terry
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

tongueriver wrote:Nice deer. He didn't have a knife with him? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Cal, Yeah he had a knife in his pack but that was back in his truck which was a pretty good walk, he was too excited to take his pack along.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

terryl308 wrote:Thanks for all the comments guys, Lee, the tail on a mule deer is pretty small, when I get back down there I'll take a photo, I'm sure I can come up with one if you want. He is going to make a head mount of this one, so I'll find out what they do with the balance of the hide, when you cape one out, it doesn't leave much to tan, so I'm sure I can get one for you. We didn't weigh it but I would guess close to 175-200 lb field dressed. He was a big bodied thing and was in the rut, so his neck was really swelled up. ::handshake:: Terry
Thanks Terry ::handshake:: - White tail deer is no doubt the bucktail used by all - the only thing I know about mule deer other than their tails being small is that from my reading there is a mix of colors in it - I don’t really know as not sure I have ever seen one... maybe not worth the hassle of boning the mule deer tail - I will say even small tails are good for smaller flies... but you decide if it is worth the trouble - I’m good with whatever you decide! Be well my friend ::handshake::
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Lee, I'll be hunting in Dec for mule deer does. It is just a meat hunt but we can shoot 2, so if I get any tails that look like you could use them, I'll keep them and let you know. Later, Terry ::handshake::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”