Kinda torn concerning this Moore Maker

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Meridian_Mike

Kinda torn concerning this Moore Maker

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I got out in the shop last night and cleaned up this Moore Maker I just got.
Our Safety Guy... (of all people)...is always at the coffee pot in the morning when I get in. He likes to see my latest pick-up so this morning I showed him this one.

SO.... when I opened the main blade and it locked in place all was good.... UNTIL... I went to unlock the blade. The blade lock is the tall piece of metal sticking up in the first picture....
IMG_3528.JPG
Well, when he sees me push the lock to unlock the blade... he is the first to point out, "you know that is not safe don't you." (leave it to him to see this)
IMG_3527.JPG
Well, he may be right but I can deal with it. I mean, YES, when you put your thumb on the lock and push it, you thumb is directly under the closing blade. The tang area of the blade is square so when the blade is working correctly, it jumps to the half stop. well, that puts your thumb right ON the edge of a sharp blade.
Now, like I said, I can deal with it.... IF you take your time, and unlock the blade THEN get you thumb out of the way before the blade has had time to move very much then all is well.

What do y'all think?
Poor design?
Am I doing it wrong?
Should I hide this one from my grandson?

Help me with this confusion please.

Mike
::shrug::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
knife7knut

Re: Kinda torn concerning this Moore Maker

Post by knife7knut »

Just my two cents: For me it wouldn't be a problem because I am left handed and the operation wouldn't seem to put my finger in jeopardy. That being said it appears that the raised portion of the lock was designed like that to serve double duty as a guard to keep your fingers from sliding forward when the blade is open and you are doing some heavy cutting. Most liner locks are quite a bit smaller and their high point is further back on the knife. Might take a bit of getting used to.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Yep.... true... Good points.
(I really like the idea that the lock is also a guard.)

The lock tab is between the 2 blades so really no matter how you actuate it, you will always have a finger under that closing blade. (maybe I didn't make that very clear)

Yep, you do have to be careful... and I have enough respect for a closing blade to get any meat out of the way.

Mike
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Mike, I think they picked the right guy to be safety man. You are dealing with some close tolerance there. It probably is no problem until you are in a hurry or you mind is running ahead.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

doglegg wrote:Mike, I think they picked the right guy to be safety man. You are dealing with some close tolerance there. It probably is no problem until you are in a hurry or you mind is running ahead.
Yep... that was my worry.... you can't rush this one!
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Here is a shot of the position I use when unlocking the blade.
IMG_3534.JPG
Mike
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

Unlock with your thumb, and grasp/ guide blade closed with your other hand. Not so difficult. Nice knife, btw
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

SteelMyHeart85420 wrote:Unlock with your thumb, and grasp/ guide blade closed with your other hand. Not so difficult. Nice knife, btw
Yep.... that is my procedure exactly. You have to unlock the blade with just a slight pressure on the blade to get it started toward closing. THEN shift your thumb out of the way before you continue. The blade then goes to the half stop.
After that.... close and put it away.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Mike, I have the exact same knife except in yellow bone. I've used mine extensively and never had a problem. I never have both blades open at the same time so it's not a concern. That doesn't mean someone couldn't have a mishap, you just have to be careful is all. That particular Moore Maker is a big, heavy knife. Very stout.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

XX Case XX wrote:Mike, I have the exact same knife except in yellow bone.
That particular Moore Maker is a big, heavy knife. Very stout.
Yep, it's a big 'un and I like that. Very stout! It walks and talks with authority!!
I'm sure it will take a little getting used to.

I really like the design where the lock tab gives you a blade guard with any blade open.

Mike
::tu::
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

This is the same situation with every modern liner lock knife. I have a few that I carry when working and have never had a problem.
Be glad your safety guy does not try to implement a ban on knives. Two of the major pipeline companies up here, a few of the oil and gas companies and quite a few consulting firms, have bans on the use and carry of even a small pocket knife on the job. I am semi retired and only work on jobs I want to and always have a knife in my pocket no matter who I am working for. If they catch me they can fire me.
Dan
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

danno50 wrote:This is the same situation with every modern liner lock knife. I have a few that I carry when working and have never had a problem.
Be glad your safety guy does not try to implement a ban on knives. Two of the major pipeline companies up here, a few of the oil and gas companies and quite a few consulting firms, have bans on the use and carry of even a small pocket knife on the job. I am semi retired and only work on jobs I want to and always have a knife in my pocket no matter who I am working for. If they catch me they can fire me.
Yep.... our safety guy is a pretty good guy. He tells me constantly of the NEW OSHA BS he has to enforce. Get this... he had to give a safety seminar a few weeks ago about the LIMITS of safety equipment. SO.. for the sake of the idiots that OSHA says are out there.... he had to tell everyone "your gloves will protect your hands but if you stick your hands between these 2 gears, the gloves wont protect your hands".....REALLY?....LOL
One advantage I have is he was a Sheriffs Deputy at one time. So he will let me tote a knife and he will also allow me to have a concealed pistol at all times in the office (I have a permit). Key word here.... CONCEALED.... AND it has to stay that way!!

SO, I can feel safe against an active shooter and I can take my knife out and clean my finger nails without getting fired.
:)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Meridian_Mike wrote:
danno50 wrote:This is the same situation with every modern liner lock knife. I have a few that I carry when working and have never had a problem.
Yep.... our safety guy is a pretty good guy. He tells me constantly of the NEW OSHA BS he has to enforce. Get this... he had to give a safety seminar a few weeks ago about the LIMITS of safety equipment. SO.. for the sake of the idiots that OSHA says are out there.... he had to tell everyone "your gloves will protect your hands but if you stick your hands between these 2 gears, the gloves wont protect your hands".....REALLY?....LOL
One advantage I have is he was a Sheriffs Deputy at one time. So he will let me tote a knife and he will also allow me to have a concealed pistol at all times in the office (I have a permit). Key word here.... CONCEALED.... AND it has to stay that way!!

SO, I can feel safe against an active shooter and I can take my knife out and clean my finger nails without getting fired.
:)
i can't feel at home in this world anymore.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

jerryd6818 wrote: i can't feel at home in this world anymore.
NOPE.... sho' can't..
Too many lawyers and idiots runnin' around out there.

::paranoid::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Meridian_Mike wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote: i can't feel at home in this world anymore.
NOPE.... sho' can't..
Too many lawyers and idiots runnin' around out there.

::paranoid::
You coulda stopped at just "too many lawyers"...........

A few years ago I was asked to participate in high school "career day" in a nearby small town. The program was primarily for graduating seniors to learn about and decide on future career paths. Following a short general assembly and presentation the students could attend several break-out sessions pertaining to different careers. I was there to give a presentation and answer questions about careers in engineering.

Out of about 120 students, I had 6 participants. The guy there to talk about careers in law had to be moved to a larger room. The classroom he was in would only hold about 30 students. ::teary_eyes::

Sorry Mike - didn't mean to hijack your thread. ::facepalm:: Carry on!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Mumbleypeg wrote:
You coulda stopped at just "too many lawyers"...........

A few years ago I was asked to participate in high school "career day" in a nearby small town. The program was primarily for graduating seniors to learn about and decide on future career paths. Following a short general assembly and presentation the students could attend several break-out sessions pertaining to different careers. I was there to give a presentation and answer questions about careers in engineering.

Out of about 120 students, I had 6 participants. The guy there to talk about careers in law had to be moved to a larger room. The classroom he was in would only hold about 30 students. ::teary_eyes::

Sorry Mike - didn't mean to hijack your thread. ::facepalm:: Carry on!

Ken
OH NO....say it isn't so..... that is a horrible thing to think about...... :shock:

Hey... no problem on the hi-jack Ken.
Mike
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I really like that lock. Looks like something that would work good with heavy gloves. I recently bought an Eickhorn PRT-IV with a thumb disk and huge, external lock release button (which acts on the linerlock) for winter use (but have carried it regularly anyway), and it works quite good with Mechanix-type Craftsman gloves.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mike i have the 'same' knife but with stag, a MM 6206LL, 2007. I move the large liner lock tab over and begin to push the blade closed. As soon as i move the blade a few degrees the blade tang holds the liner lock in the 'off' position(pushes it over towards spey blade). I can then remove my thumb from the LL tab. The blade stays put, partially closed and holding the liner lock out of the way. Then i push the blade spine a few degrees more and only then does it spring to half stop.
It sounds like yours is 'over sprung'(is this even a word ?) such that as soon as liner lock is moved over the blade snaps to half stop. Mine as described, does not do this.
It's night time or i would take a pic of this most impressive Moore Maker: 4 1/2", caps & great Stag. Best MM i have owned.
kj
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

I wanna see that knife, Roland ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

O.K. It is a Beauty, some of the best stag i have seen on a modern knife. I will take pictures when there is daylight.
kj
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

I don't see this knife design being an issue. The extra large large lock should be better
than the typical lock, except maybe protruding in the pocket.

I use the side of my thumb on the liner or frame lock, so that my thumbnail faces the blade.
I then use my index finger to move the blade towards the closed position.
Once the blade moves far enough for the lock to hold it in place with its pressure,
I then move the thumb to the back of the blade to finish closing.

Alternately, move all digits out of the way and push the back of the blade on your britches leg
to complete the closure .

Hope this makes sense . . . . .
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Royal it does make sense and is the same as i posted above. From Mike's description his master blade snaps to half stop as soon as it starts to hold the liner lock over to the side.
kj
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

kootenay joe wrote:Royal it does make sense and is the same as i posted above. From Mike's description his master blade snaps to half stop as soon as it starts to hold the liner lock over to the side.
kj
Maybe I was a bit misleading in my description. I do close the locked blade just as you described you do. The tang of the blade is square and you have to go past the tipping point of the square for it to jump to the half stop. And I mean it JUMPS to that spot. Really strong spring.....HUGE walk and talk.
SO... I am careful with this knife... and I REALLY do like it.

NOW... KJ.... I want to see your knife.....
It sounds like a real sweetheart.
Post us a pic!

Mike
:D
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Mike I'm scairt yawl are gonna slice off a a finger or sumpin, best send that little old watch pocket knife on down here. ::nod::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

bighomer wrote:Mike I'm scairt yawl are gonna slice off a a finger or sumpin, best send that little old watch pocket knife on down here. ::nod::
Man.... I would.... But I fear for your fangers too..... I better go pitch this dangerous thang off in the crick.
LOL....
:lol:

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”