Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Post by kootenay joe »

I just won a #562118 with smooth appaloosa bone on ebay. i bid because the handles look golden yellow. I hope they are.
kj

hmmm, i lived the pics off ebay but they do not show up here except as thumbnail, but full picture in my computer ??
Attachments
s-l64(3).jpg
s-l64(3).jpg (1.22 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
s-l64.jpg
s-l64.jpg (1.46 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

They do look yellow, nice one. ::tu::
Screenshot_20181105-065925.png
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Rob ! Does anyone have an appaloosa bone that looks like this ? I am hoping this is not computer colored.
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Though I haven't seen an Appy 56 up close, I suspect that what you'll get is going to be a natural bone handle with a little bit of brown dye absorbed, kinda like some of the "empty Appy" Cases of the early 80s (some with fabulously mismatched handles where one is extremely dark and one is almost purely undyed bone). Maybe not as "golden" in hue as the pic might depict...

I guess the only way you'll know is when you see it. I dig what I'm seeing from the photos but I've always been a fan of the uneven, hard-to-predict Appy handles and I think GEC does a great job with them.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

kootenay joe wrote:Thanks Rob ! Does anyone have an appaloosa bone that looks like this ? I am hoping this is not computer colored.
kj
I watched that very knife sell. It didn't look like yellow at all on my screen, it was white mostly with tan and brown splotches. Maybe my computer is showing bogus color. Wouldn't be the first time.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think this bright yellow goes well with the handle curves of this pattern which is why i bid. This is where ebay & paypal can be helpful. If i find the color substantially different from this picture, i will return it for refund and ebay or paypal will back me if necessary. This seller's FB shows he has sold a number of GEC's that were enthusiastically received. Hence i doubt altering color is his norm.
It will be at least a week before i can get to USA P.O. to pick it up but i will post my own pictures here soon after i get it.
kj
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

KJ Whenever I see a yellow bolster I know the pic was taken inside...and the "warmth" of the pic should be adjusted down. The photo editor that comes with Windows 10 does a good job for that particular problem. Here's what your pic looks like with some of the warmth taken out. The bone still has a yellowish cast to it....It'll be interesting to see what you get
Screenshot_20181105-065925.png
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

20180401_214750_HDR_Film3-1.jpg
20180401_214700_HDR_Film3-1.jpg
Here are some photos of my pair, taken inside as well. They aren't what I would call yellow at all, but it's a timeless and classic pattern with interesting handles. I'll be surprised if you don't love it kj.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

dweb, are you saying that artificial light gives a yellow color ? There are lights with 'neutral' spectrum. I think i am not understanding what you are saying. Can you explain a bit more ?
thanks, kj
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

kootenay joe wrote:dweb, are you saying that artificial light gives a yellow color ? There are lights with 'neutral' spectrum. I think i am not understanding what you are saying. Can you explain a bit more ?
thanks, kj
I don't think I'm the one to explain this...When I use my camera on fully automatic indoors...no flash of course I end up with a picture like this where the bolsters and blade look yellow...the photo is too warm
BEN-1.jpg
When I use the photo editor to reduce the warmth I get this
BEN-1 (2).jpg
If I reduce it too much I get the blue tinge...the photo is too cool
BEN-1 (3).jpg
None of these is as good as an outdoor pic but then time and weather don't always cooperate. If I set my camera to manual adjustments I can set the white balance for the type of light I'm shooting under and get a better picture to begin with. I guess it all depends on what your camera is capable of and how capable you are at using it. Anyone who thinks the camera doesn't lie has never looked at wedding photos...the photographer's job is to make the plain look pretty and the pretty to look gorgeous.

Oh and by the way...my 2 new GEC rendezvous knives
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Good explanation and knives. ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks. i understand your meaning now. I was over-thinking it.
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

What happened with that Bird Dog in Appaloosa bone K Joe? Was it yellow or white? Hope you have it by now and like the color, was curious about the photos vs. in hand.

Here's one that looked different in hand than pics. Either way I would have taken it. Screams elegance to me. One of the prettiest I have period. And of all my spear blades, this is the only with a wharn back up. I've been looking for a knife with a main wharn and secondary spear. Still looking. This is the next best maybe in reverse, but still has both blades at least. I've been perusing these back burner for years, waiting for my chance. Just never saw one for sale that I liked the covers on, or I could afford, or wasn't outbid on ridiculously as usual. They had some at KSF for months back in 2013-14 and the high retail price as you can see on the original package was hard to swallow. Still, stupid me didn't get one. Regretted that many times ever since. Well the guy selling this had a high opening bid, about $60 less than it says on the original package in the pics. Only two bids, one minimum last minute, and mine, a couple of bucks more. He turned off many bidders with that high opening bid and would have surely had more bids and more money for his knife if this has been allowed to go up open bidding starting at five bucks or something low. Gets more people watching, and bidding and hoping to score it. Anyway, I stole it. I couldn't believe I got it for less than it was new. When was the last time you bought an unused Northwoods for less than new price? Psychology of bidding on very low vs. very high opening bids. Makes for two different kinds of auction results, or at least I've seen over and over. Couldn't be happier with the knife, earlier GEC, old GEC snap and action, a tang stamp I don't see much or know if they use these days. Fabulous Blue Camel bone with whites and off whites, tiny bit of yellow/tan. Reminds me of a typical partially cloudy sky. I have or had half a dozen of these Northwoods Blue Camel bone covered knives and they dazzle me anyway. Great blues, great bone grains. Blue Camel Cult member.
Attachments
WP_20181114_060.jpg
WP_20181114_117.jpg
WP_20181113_137.jpg
WP_20181116_005.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Iman congrats on that presidential, they are a great knife. I love that blue camel bone! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks a lot gsmith, coming from you, a known Northwoods buyer, that means something. I love the pattern, just like my Northfield 54 only it's thinner, flat bolsters and bone, and two blades instead of one. Really like this pattern more and more and more. Thanks again.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I picked up the #56 with Appaloosa Bone yesterday. You gent's were quite right. The warm golden yellow color of the handles in the ebay pictures is a result of computer editing. It is still a nice knife but not the exceptional one i thought i was bidding for. I paid $122 which i think is just a little over original price ? Not sure if i should keep it or return it.
kj
Attachments
IMGP5609.JPG
IMGP5610.JPG
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

I like it. But its not what you thought you were going to receive. You could try contacting the seller and explain your problem. Some sellers are quite reasonable. I think the single blades were ~$90 when released.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

How do you know the seller computer edited the photo KJ? I take pictures all the time that turn out dark, light and washed out, or yellow, or pinkish. I can't explain why. Same light even, one photo to the next. I doubt your seller is that sophisticated, probably took quick phone pics and who knows what lighting? Hey it's a beautiful appaloosa knife, come on, now why would he artificially color it? That's a beauty and it was probably his lighting and not deliberate color change. That's exactly what it looked like when I was watching it. Looks even better in your pics.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Ivoryman wrote:How do you know the seller computer edited the photo KJ? I take pictures all the time that turn out dark, light and washed out, or yellow, or pinkish. I can't explain why. Same light even, one photo to the next. I doubt your seller is that sophisticated, probably took quick phone pics and who knows what lighting? Hey it's a beautiful appaloosa knife, come on, now why would he artificially color it? That's a beauty and it was probably his lighting and not deliberate color change. That's exactly what it looked like when I was watching it. Looks even better in your pics.
I agree regular incandescent light gives me those yellow results and I have to edit it out.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have contacted seller & he is fine with taking it back. The difference between his pictures and this knife is not from ambient light. The difference is too much. He posted another 56 in Appaloosa bone and it too is a lovely yellow but not as bright as the pics of mine. He toned it down a little so as to not be so obvious. His other knives show 'normal' color, but have the same background so were taken with the same set up. He must have bought a few 56's with these handles and is trying to make his more attractive than others some still for sale at dealers.
It is easy to alter the color with the right computer picture editing program. I tried with my computer but cannot get the same depth of yellow. I have never tried this before so suspect it could be done if i was familiar with this editing.
kj
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

kootenay joe wrote:I have contacted seller & he is fine with taking it back. The difference between his pictures and this knife is not from ambient light. The difference is too much. He posted another 56 in Appaloosa bone and it too is a lovely yellow but not as bright as the pics of mine. He toned it down a little so as to not be so obvious. His other knives show 'normal' color, but have the same background so were taken with the same set up. He must have bought a few 56's with these handles and is trying to make his more attractive than others some still for sale at dealers.
It is easy to alter the color with the right computer picture editing program. I tried with my computer but cannot get the same depth of yellow. I have never tried this before so suspect it could be done if i was familiar with this editing.
kj
I did a quick paint job on your background and turned the temp up....look familiar?
44.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It looks a bit more like the seller's pics but still not the same bright yellow.
What i need to decide is: keep it or return it ?
Or, sell it to someone here who likes how it looks in my pictures and then sends me a reasonable offer. I don't get upset over loosing a few $$. I'm used to it !
kj
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

I picked up a 2010 AAPK today with excellent bolster to cap stag.
Pics weren't too good but I am very optimistic. Will post some pics when I eventually get it in hand.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What pattern is it ? and made by ? GEC ??
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Looks like a 48 trapper.
Attachments
1490368280_67_12_1-600x500.jpg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”