My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
tongueriver

Re: My latest Schrade

Post by tongueriver »

jxr1197 wrote: Now I'm curious what an 'office' blade is?
I believe it is the same thing as a budding blade or a spey blade, in which case some ill-treated under-appreciated secretaries in days of yore may have wished to use it for one of those other purposes? (no smilie here).
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Following this thread can sometimes make me wonder "What's the use??" in accumulating old Schrades given the worlds of difference in class between my hoard and the museum showcases you folks casually trot out here. :lol:
jxr1197 wrote:Now I'm curious what an 'office' blade is?
The spey blade is the "office blade," I've always assumed because the radiused belly could be credibly used as an ink 'eraser' and would probably be the blade of choice for opening parcels as well. I noticed that the catalog listing for the standard "Office Knife" has a spey typical of the pattern but the advertising knife has a smaller pen blade in its place. Very cool knife,
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Tsar, I for one am glad you do follow the threads...anyone can buy fancy knives, you bring a ton of knowledge to the table.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Thanks Cal and Tony! I always appreciate it when collectors share the knowledge ::tu::
- Jason
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Just an old tool that never got used. American made quality and craftsmanship that far surpassed the junk we find in stores today. In a small way the knives found in this forum represent a bygone era of American history when American craftsmen and workers, and American made products ruled the economic world and helped us to become the greatest country in history....Feeling a little forlorn and patriotic at the same time today. LOL A lot of talk these days about how in the heck we got here. Where most of what is in our stores came from countries that hate our guts. What were we thinking when we decided to give it all to China? That, is only beginning to come back to bite us in the ass and will soon become deadly! SMH End of rant. But hey! Have a nice day! :lol:

This tool fills a hole in my little collection that includes ones with the Ulster and Craftsman brand. (don't get me started on foreign made Craftsman tools and Sears bankruptcy)
Attachments
204S Schrade Walden.JPG
204S Schrade Walden (2).JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Great TL-29, Mustanger! My notes say 1967 (ish) on those for Sears. The 204-S was also earlier done up in cocobola. The "S" stands for shackle. And here is a companion to yours, also from about the same time. 3/4 inches thick with three springs.
9561 1.JPG
9561 3.jpg
9561 4.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Here is a pre-1947 version with a lockback instead of a linerlock.
electrician001.jpg
electrician002.jpg
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

tongueriver wrote:Great TL-29, Mustanger! My notes say 1967 (ish) on those for Sears. The 204-S was also earlier done up in cocobola. The "S" stands for shackle. And here is a companion to yours, also from about the same time. 3/4 inches thick with three springs.
1967-ish was my best guess for the ones with the saw blade. I based that guess on when the, one year only, Craftsman 9555 utility knife was released in '67 with the saw blade. I had no idea about the Delrin 204S. I know it continued a little past 1972 from tang stamps I've seen. My notes from Michael Little's research of the Craftsman 9560 version of the 204S says, 'Started as an Ulster in '66, continued as SW 204 till '75'. As near as I can tell, Craftsman went to Imperial to continue making the tool with a different model number and slightly different handle scales. I have wondered what the S stood for. Ulster and Camillus used to use the term clevis and I have that stuck in my head. I overlook the word shackle a lot. Thanks.
Attachments
The Craftsman 9561 is something of a beast with the saw blade added.
The Craftsman 9561 is something of a beast with the saw blade added.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

tongueriver wrote:Here is a pre-1947 version with a lockback instead of a linerlock.
I would like to see additional picture(s) to detail the lock mechanism.
For reference and posterity.

In the catalog cut it appears the knife handle has pre-made hole for the "shackle" even though one is not in place.
Interesting .....
8)
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Wharnecilff

Post by Wharnecilff »

I picked up this pair of paratrooper knives from an estate sale. One has the cord cutter and liner-lock clip point and the other has only a clip point liner Lock. The clip point blades in both are automatic openers. Apologies for image quality.Oops..my bad..only the single blade knife is a Shrade, the one with the paracord cutter is a Camilus..apologies for the over site..
Attachments
IMG_20181018_195526.jpg
IMG_20181018_195421.jpg
IMG_20181018_194920.jpg
IMG_20181018_195055.jpg
IMG_20181018_195218.jpg
IMG_20181018_195538.jpg
IMG_20181018_195140.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Nice electricians knife Cal, I have not seen one that have a lockback, unless it is the lock that is released by pressing down on the spear blade.

Here’s one I got a couple weeks ago, I had to reshape the tip of the spear blade as it had been broken off a little bit. I took some before pictures but can’t find them right now. I couldn’t find a match to this knife in the E Catalog, but I did find a 2053 that was the closest to this pattern, except the 2053 has a sheepfoot blade. Do you know what pattern number this is?

In addition to the tip issue there is a small chip out of the handle at the rear bolster on the mark side. None of the blades lock up on this knife, both the cutting blade and the screwdriver blade are stamped and both have long pulls. The screwdriver blade has been ground on one side. I’m sure it works well for stripping wire or scraping something. I like the peach seed bone and the shield is one of my favorite patterns.

I put up a few pictures here so you can see what it looks like.
Attachments
Schrade Cut Co #2053 c.jpg
Schrade Cut Co #2053 d.jpg
Schrade Cut Co #2053 e.jpg
Schrade Cut Co #2053 f.jpg
Schrade Cut Co #2053 g.jpg
Schrade Cut Co #2053 h.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Dale nice find! What you have there is actually a 2053. The knife in the catalog is a 2053 1/2. The 1/2 means a sheepfoot was substituted for the standard spear blade.

Eric
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks for the info Eric.
Do you know if this pattern was made with a locking SD blade? I don't see any evidence that this one ever had a lock.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Dale, no locks on those teardrop models. The only knife with the spring lock, as far as I know, was the 2042, which was very similar to the TL-29. There was also a smaller, slimmer model that I seem to recall, but I think what I'm thinking of was made by Empire.

Eric
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Picked up this Schrade Walden 804 whittler in bone, been looking for one in bone but they don't seem to pop up all that often. Knife is in decent shape but has some staining and pitting and has been poorly sharpened, still has an etch.
Would the bone handle ones have been before the synthetic handles or could the knife be purchased either way? I've always assumed bone was earlier.
Attachments
IMG_9466.jpg
IMG_9469.jpg
IMG_9471.jpg
IMG_9474.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

The jigged bone 804s were 1947 to about 1960/61, when Delrin plastic took over. However, in the 1980s one could buy a "Heritage" 804 (with much different tang stamping) in smooth bone, and, I believe, stainless steel. Also nice knives.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

tongueriver wrote:The jigged bone 804s were 1947 to about 1960/61, when Delrin plastic took over. However, in the 1980s one could buy a "Heritage" 804 (with much different tang stamping) in smooth bone, and, I believe, stainless steel. Also nice knives.

Thank you Cal, appreciate the information.
KAW

Post by KAW »

Actually I have had this one for about a month already, but only presently came to mind to post it here...

A Schrade Cut. Co. 3" Sleeveboard Lobster; Pattern №8683T with 3 blades (pen-quill-file); bone stag, N/S tip bolsters & milled liners.
as listed in the 1926 catalog:
10961 10958
10959 10960

I got it from Bob Pomerantz (a board member of the Wawarsing Knife Museum) at the Lehigh Valley Fall Knife show.
'til later....
Ken

10031 means.... never having a dull moment. 8)
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Picked this one up recently...must have been put together at the end as it has a 296Y blade
296Y QUAIL-1.jpg
296Y QUAIL-5.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

dweb1897 wrote:Picked this one up recently...must have been put together at the end as it has a 296Y blade
It's a Quail Unlimited SFO. I don't know when that edition came out but the 296Y was cataloged from '92 - '98. Some of the Smokey Mtn. Knife Works SFO, 'The Trapper', knives sport 296Y blades and they were ordered and shipped in '92. So your knife may be a near end edition or as early as '92. It seems like it was a common practice to put blades with varying tang stamps on SFO knives. And even on the Great American Outdoors series Scrimshaw trappers. I know they did an LB7 pattern for QU with the same bone and shield. Really nice knife! I like those big trappers.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

KAW, i like your Cut Co sleeveboard lobster. I have a few of the SCC Gent's type pen knives. Takes a lot of skill to make these smaller pen knives yet most collectors are not interested in them. In hand they are every bit as pleasing as the larger Jack knives.
kj
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

dweb1897
I just noticed your new Avatar Doug....very appropriate.
Be well my friend,
Tony.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

173 WondaWood, minty. Bad scan, sorry.
thanksgiving002.jpg
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Picked up this Heritage Series whittler, this one marked for Hoffritz Cutlery.
Attachments
IMG_9619.jpg
IMG_9620.jpg
IMG_9621.jpg
IMG_9623.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Nice whittler. Schrade was looking pretty good in the 1980s. Who could see what was coming? :( I notice that there are through pins on that knife, so I reckon it was at least partly made by Camillus. A plus! ::tu::

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”