Wall Street # 99 in elk horn

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Wall Street # 99 in elk horn

Post by gsmith7158 »

CK just put these on early reserve.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Wall Street # 99 in elk horn

Post by gsmith7158 »

Hope ya'll got one it's closed. ::woot::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
JET79

Post by JET79 »

Nope.... was out of reception. Bummed. But I see the #14’s are in production now so that’s sweet!
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Did I miss the announcement on these or was Mike's notification the very first time these were mentioned? I know other dealers will have a few of the Wall Streets too but if I wanted to buy one from Mike, I didn't even have time to decide if I wanted to reserve one or not.

At least with the Northwoods lolly scramble we have a few hours to think about it before the drop.

Were these announced and sold out all in one fell swoop or did I miss something?
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Railsplitter wrote:Did I miss the announcement on these or was Mike's notification the very first time these were mentioned? I know other dealers will have a few of the Wall Streets too but if I wanted to buy one from Mike, I didn't even have time to decide if I wanted to reserve one or not.

At least with the Northwoods lolly scramble we have a few hours to think about it before the drop.

Were these announced and sold out all in one fell swoop or did I miss something?
Rick it was just a matter of minutes from announcement to close. Mike says it's a limited run so he must not be getting many. It was comparable to a Northwoods drop without the time to think about which one to go for.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

gsmith7158 wrote:
Railsplitter wrote:Did I miss the announcement on these or was Mike's notification the very first time these were mentioned? I know other dealers will have a few of the Wall Streets too but if I wanted to buy one from Mike, I didn't even have time to decide if I wanted to reserve one or not.

Rick it was just a matter of minutes from announcement to close. Mike says it's a limited run so he must not be getting many. It was comparable to a Northwoods drop without the time to think about which one to go for.
Thanks Greg. ::tu::
Rick T.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This is the first i have heard of this, so i am 2 daze late.
Elk winter at my place so i have found many good drops. I sent some to Rusty Preston and he sent me a picture of a sowbelly he had used it on. To me a bit of a disappointment because lots of the underlying white was showing. Since then i have learned that this is usual for elk. Seems pieces that can be bolster to bolster exterior surface are hard to come by or cut from a rack.
Are there any pictures of the Wall Street with the elk handles ?
Also, does Mike do a mail out that these are up for reservation ? Or, do you have to check his site frequently ?
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

kootenay joe wrote:This is the first i have heard of this, so i am 2 daze late.
Elk winter at my place so i have found many good drops. I sent some to Rusty Preston and he sent me a picture of a sowbelly he had used it on. To me a bit of a disappointment because lots of the underlying white was showing. Since then i have learned that this is usual for elk. Seems pieces that can be bolster to bolster exterior surface are hard to come by or cut from a rack.
Are there any pictures of the Wall Street with the elk handles ?
Also, does Mike do a mail out that these are up for reservation ? Or, do you have to check his site frequently ?
kj
I got a text from Mike when these went up for reserve. I signed up for Early Reserve notifications in April 2017 and the system has worked very well.
Rick T.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks. I thought i was signed up to be informed as well. I will investigate, maybe need to sign up again.
kj

edit to ask: "Text" ? maybe he only notifies by text message ? I don't have a texting device, just old fashioned email.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

kootenay joe wrote:Thanks. I thought i was signed up to be informed as well. I will investigate, maybe need to sign up again.
kj

edit to ask: "Text" ? maybe he only notifies by text message ? I don't have a texting device, just old fashioned email.
Yes, when I signed up it was a text only option if I remember correctly. Some kind of application that schools use for notifications or something like that. It works very well but yes, it's text only.

You might ask Mike if he has an email option as I don't know if the option I signed up for was the only one available and he might have something new by now.
Rick T.

Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

CollectorKnives uses both an email notification system for reserves and something called Remind which is normally used for school scheduling. This hybrid system is a little unwieldy but it gets the job done for most releases. The number 77 Barlows were all done via lottery that went through the Remind system. Haven't gotten two of them even while I was stuck on my phone, I would say it worked out fairly well. But it does take some getting used to.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
biglmbass

Post by biglmbass »

kootenay joe wrote: Are there any pictures of the Wall Street with the elk handles ?
I don't think Elk has ever been offered on the 99 wall street pattern. I wish these new ones were clip blades, but given they're stainless I'll take what I can get.

Also, I hope they lock up solidly. When the 99s first hit the scene I held off getting an ebony clip blade due to many reports of blade play.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Allright, so splain this Greg.....how do I sign up.....to be informed of early ordering?
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

TripleF wrote:Allright, so splain this Greg.....how do I sign up.....to be informed of early ordering?
Scott just go to collectorknives.net and choose early reserves from the menu. It explains there how to sign up for text message notifications when something goes on early reserve.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Well, I missed out on another one from CK. Totally missed out on the 77 barlows, missed the 14 red sawcuts by a mile, but this one must've gone in minutes. I also prefer the KSF scramble because I get 24 hours notice of the drop. These CK reserve drops are instantaneous, no-notice, only works for those guys who happen to have access to their phones with good data coverage at the right moment. Which isn't me. ::td::

But... the silver lining here is the early indication of a run of 99's! Farm & Field Farmer Locks, whoo hoo! Am I wrong?? If the numbers are like the recent run of 71s, it'll be like on Oprah: "You get a Farmer Lock, and You get a Farmer Lock, and YOU get a Farmer Lock!" I know there's at least one other forum member who's been looking for a Farmer Lock for a while now. Maybe they'll do maroon micarta again? And wouldn't it be an amazing twist of fate if they did them with clip blades like some of the previous Wall Streets? Farmer Lock in maroon micarta, with a plain clip... who else can see it? ::drool:: They did 78 AmJacks in clips first and spears next run, so why not do spears then clips on Farmer Locks??

Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have missed out on all of the 'hot' releases as well. I bet the number who missed out might be greater than the number that scored, so we are not alone. Fortunately i have many fine GEC knives from before their popularity became 'wild'. And many of these earlier knives came with ivory or mammoth and they could be purchased days after arriving at the dealers !
kj
Gunstock Jack

Post by Gunstock Jack »

Sign up on my subscription page, where I'm trying to develop a method of notifying those who're on it of new stock when it arrives. Most new product has been selling fast, but at least you'll have a fighting chance at scoring. ::doh:: ::tu:: Good luck guys!
Barry

Great Eastern Cutlery distributor: http://www.gunstockjacksknives.com
Contact me: info@gunstockjacksknives.com
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

In the photos on the GEC website it looks like the elk has some interesting bark on it, but these pics are probably pre hafting. Hope the can leave a lot of it on there. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

With every knife pattern that GEC makes, there are numerous handle options. I would like to see this #99 run include a blade option.
GEC, please do a run of these with a CLIP blade.
In fact why not offer a blade choice with most of the single blade patterns ? The just completed #14 did this with SFO's having a clip blade instead of the regular run spear point blade. Great, now do it for the #99 !
However as GEC manages to quickly sell every knife they make, there is no reason to change anything. Well, there is one reason: to please me ! I am sure other knifers would also be thrilled to have a blade choice.
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Considering the popular patterns are selling out faster, not slower, given GEC's choices as of late (no ivory, no abalone, etc.) I suspect they will continue to do exactly as they've been doing and they will be happily rewarded for it by the people who make sport of the "lolly scramble" with each new release.

I've decided that, short of a few highly-desired patterns which I really want to get my hands on without paying 300% markups, I will be eschewing the scramble from now on and treating GEC as I do any other knife manufacturer.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote Tony: " treating GEC as I do any other knife manufacturer."
Good idea !
Somehow GEC has cast a spell over me. Never before have i bought multiples of the same knife, each having a different handle material. I think informing us in advance of what will be coming, and then releasing only one handle material at a time, has a psychological effect on many of us. It draws us in like family members showing up for Thanksgiving dinner and we want "a little of everything please".
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Has anyone gotten a new #99 yet? The wood and bone are out. Sure would like a review of you've gotten one.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Happy to get mine in the mail today. It is my first SS GEC. Very nice Elk handles, no play, no scuffs, blade centered, and very sharp. Easy to open.....about a 4.
Larry
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Larry

Each one, teach one.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Very nice Larry! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I concur: very attractive knife. Wish it came with blade options: clip, spear point(saber ground !).
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”