Queen steel #11B

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
Sydres

Queen steel #11B

Post by Sydres »

Just received in the mail today. Slightly blemished but still a solid knife. Liner is a bit warped, bolsters have some dings neither are a big deal as the blade is full and has what appears to be factory edge. One oddity is that the tang stamp appears to have been defaced somehow.
20181009_123340.jpg
20181009_123333.jpg
Might this be a second?
XX Case XX

Re: Queen steel #11B

Post by XX Case XX »

I don't think it's a 2nd. It looks as if someone tried to either file or sand down the tang stamp. Very cool knife. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Sydres

Post by Sydres »

Can't imagine why anyone would decide to remove a tang stamp unless they were trying to deceive.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Sydres wrote:Can't imagine why anyone would decide to remove a tang stamp unless they were trying to deceive.
I completely agree, but we all know that sometimes people do strange things to a pocket knife. When the image is enlarged, I can clearly see lines right next to the arrows where someone was doing something to this knife. Click on the picture and take a look.

"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Sydres

Post by Sydres »

I did not have time to really look it over when it showed up. I did not pay much for it and i am sure its not an expensive knife in the first place so ithink it may become an addition to my carry rotation. But its still odd.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Sydres,
That is very strange considering the condition of the etch. ::hmm:: Like you said it'll make a great EDC.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Sydres

Post by Sydres »

Just found a queen knife on ebay that had the same thing done to the tang stamp that is being listed as a second
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

My guess is a knife with the etch and no stamp could be dated older than the stamp which (I believe) is on that knife. I'm just speculating, of course.

That's a fine trapper. I've got a yeller-handled version and it's a slim, sturdy cutter that vanishes in the LFP. Great pickup! ::tu::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Sydres

Post by Sydres »

Not sure I understand what you are saying about the age of the knife, though that may be because I am running on little sleep.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Sydres wrote:Not sure I understand what you are saying about the age of the knife, though that may be because I am running on little sleep.
IIRC some of the earlier Queens with the blade etch have no tang stamps while later ones have both. The person who filed that blade tang might have been trying to artificially "age" it. Otherwise I can't think of a reason to attack that poor blade in such a fashion!
bdev

Post by bdev »

I believe your tang stamp would have looked like this one. If so, it was made 1973-75.

queen-steel-11b-single-bladed-black_1_83aec39a69c109281f4eb519789ab5ca.jpg
queen-steel-11b-single-bladed-black_1_83aec39a69c109281f4eb519789ab5ca.jpg (56.1 KiB) Viewed 3949 times
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
Sydres

Post by Sydres »

I get it! I have a soft spot for Queen Knives even though I don't have many of them. Maybe I should start a special home for abused Queen knives so no defaced knives ever have to be discarded.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Sydres wrote:Just received in the mail today. Slightly blemished but still a solid knife. Liner is a bit warped, bolsters have some dings neither are a big deal as the blade is full and has what appears to be factory edge. One oddity is that the tang stamp appears to have been defaced somehow.20181009_123340.jpg20181009_123333.jpg
Might this be a second?
Hadn't stopped by this thread in a few days, this is my take on he OP knife, for some reason some the knives of this era have a tendency to corrode at the tang, looks like someone got a little aggressive in cleaning it off. That's my 2 cents worth. YMMV. ::tu::
brucegodlesky

Post by brucegodlesky »

The steel in that location is sometimes made less hard to facilitate blade adjustment.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Anyone who can make anything out of that is a genius.
Attachments
20181009_123340.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

jerryd6818 wrote:Anyone who can make anything out of that is a genius.
I suspect it could be any one of these:
Attachments
queen.png
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

It makes no sense for the Queen factory to grind off the tang stamp of a "second" but leave the blade etch. And, if the factory had wanted to remove a tang stamp, they could do a heck of lot better job than that!

I refuse to underestimate the stupidity of other people's use of power tools...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
brucegodlesky

Post by brucegodlesky »

Q's seconds were marked with a DU stamp. Suppose it meant defective unit.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

After Daniels took over they also used EDC as a mark for seconds. ::tu::
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Thanks Jerry. ::mdm:: :mrgreen:

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”