Case Cheetah Cub

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Sut Tatersaul

Case Cheetah Cub

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I've found a new favorite Case knife, the Cheetah Cub. Can the experts tell me if Case ever made the Cheetah Cub knife in my favorite scale material, rootbeer bone? Thanks.

Sut Tatersaul
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
Sut Tatersaul

Re: Case Cheetah Cub

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Thanks.

Sut Tatersaul
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Sut, you made me look up Cheetah Cub. A cool looking knife. Hope you find one with the root beer handles. ::tu::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Send your question to consumer-relations@wrcase.com

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Sut Tatersaul wrote: Can the experts tell me if Case ever made the Cheetah Cub knife in my favorite scale material, rootbeer bone?
Sut:

I checked both Shepherd Hills & Case Knife Outlet but came up empty. If I happen to find what you're looking for I'll send you a PM. ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I just spent a couple of hours composing a post, and as usual POOF!, I lost it all before I was able to finish, and post it. #@J)<?"@!%*&><?"+#@!!!. Oh Well I'll try again. Here are pictures of my new favorite Knife, a Cheetah Cub, shown with it's big brother a full size Cheetah. I'm trying to find out all the information I can on this very appealing smaller knife. I like every aspect of it, the size, weight, and feel of it. In my researching it, I find information really scarce, some folks didn't know they were even made. Maybe if there are other Cheetah "Cub" enthusiasts on this forum, they could answer some of my questions. I'd like to know what kinds of steels that they were made of? What all kinds of handle scale materials they were made with? All the other "Nitty Gritty" details that only enthusiasts love to talk about, would just "tickle Me Pink". How about a little help on this matter? Thanks.
Sut Tatersaul
Attachments
DSC00142.JPG
DSC00145.JPG
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Sut Tatersaul wrote:I just spent a couple of hours composing a post, and as usual POOF!, I lost it all before I was able to finish, and post it. #@J)<?"@!%*&><?"+#@!!!. Oh Well I'll try again. Here are pictures of my new favorite Knife, a Cheetah Cub, shown with it's big brother a full size Cheetah. I'm trying to find out all the information I can on this very appealing smaller knife. I like every aspect of it, the size, weight, and feel of it. In my researching it, I find information really scarce, some folks didn't know they were even made. Maybe if there are other Cheetah "Cub" enthusiasts on this forum, they could answer some of my questions. I'd like to know what kinds of steels that they were made of? What all kinds of handle scale materials they were made with? All the other "Nitty Gritty" details that only enthusiasts love to talk about, would just "tickle Me Pink". How about a little help on this matter? Thanks.
Sut Tatersaul
Sir,
I do not have any information on the Case Cheetah Cub,but I can associate with the pain of losing a post.
I remember reading your discussion of the great difficulty with which you post here.
Here is an idea that has helped me when composing posts: type the text of your post in a word processing program. Save it often. Then copy and paste the text into the dialog box here.
Hope that helps!

Absolutely gorgeous knives that you posted!!
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I can cope with loosing posts, as it seems to be the way of today's computing. What I would like to find out, is more on the "Cheetah Cub" Knives. The information that I can find is pretty sketchy. Many Case collectors didn't know they even existed. Any Information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sut Tatersaul
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Can you post some clear pictures of the stamps on the knife? I can't make out the tang stamp,nor the pattern number from your previous pictures. If we could see when it was made and what pattern it is maybe someone could tell you more about it. There's at least one for sale in the AAPK stores.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Ken;
Thanks again for your interest. The Cub that I showed, along with a full sized Cheetah, is the only one that I have so far. I am not hunting information on that particular one, but, thought I might stir up some general discussion of the Cub knife. I'd like to find out If there are other Cub enthusiasts on this forum, and why they like the Cub knife.

Sut Tatersaul
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Sut, Ken's request to see close up of markings on your knife is to have a starting point in the search for information and other 'cub' knives. It is obviously rare enough to suggest it was only made for maybe 1 or 2 years. The date code on yours will let us know one of the years it was made. It is a start to your search.
kj
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Joe;
I tried to get pictures of both sides of the cub's blades. I'll post them, but I don't think they are recognizable. I am barely able to see the markings with a magnifying glass. the markings are really small. I drew pictures, and took pictures of the drawings. If all of this "rigmarole" doesn't show my stupidity, and prove what an ass I am, I'll try something else.

Sut Tatersaul
Attachments
DSC00164.JPG
DSC00168.JPG
DSC00174.JPG
DSC00175.JPG
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Well I guess my questions have come to a halt. My poorly presented pictures, and bumbling methods, seem to get those kind of results. I think that it is about time to bow out of this situation, before I make an even bigger "ass" of myself. On a different note, I received another Cheetah Cub today, that I won on E-Bay. I think that I got "stung" on that deal, and showed my ignorance there also. I'll know more about that when "The Dust Settles", a bit. Thanks,for trying, but I think that I'm beyond much help.

Sut Tatersaul
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Sut, I don't think it's your fault at all. I also tried to research Cheetah Cub knives but there's just not much out there that I can find. Even the Case Collectors Club Forum doesn't have many posts about them. Those I did find there were mostly just pictures in the "Cheetah" thread - did not find a thread dedicated to Cheetah Cubs (a search for "cheetah" found 112 pages of posts. A search for "Cub" found nothing. There was a reference to a SFO run for Shepherd Hills Cutlery. From what I gather (only a guess on my part) the Cub was only made sporadically for a few years. Apparently it wasn't that popular so it wasn't produced very long. Again, that's just speculation on my part.

I'll repeat my previous post in this thread. Send your request for information by email to consumer-relations@wrcase.com. They're still in business you know, and seem to have decent records on most post-1980s products. You can probably find out from them at least when and how many were made.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am not a Case collector but "611 1/2 L" does not look like a regular Case pattern number. Could this be a contract knife from when Jim Parker owned Case ?
Surely one of the Case collector guys knows about this knife ?
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

kootenay joe wrote:I am not a Case collector but "611 1/2 L" does not look like a regular Case pattern number. Could this be a contract knife from when Jim Parker owned Case ?
Surely one of the Case collector guys knows about this knife ?
kj
I agree you'd think someone who collects the newer Case knives should know about them. That's why I am surprised there is so little about the Cub on the Case Collectors Club Forum, as most of those who post there collect newer knives. From what I can deduce these were made since 2000 - long after Parker's time.

The Cheetah pattern was a 111-1/2 (6111-1/2 for bone, 5111-1/2 for stag). So I guess they just shortened it to 11-1/2 for the Cub. The first "1" being the number of blades, would mean the handle die (pattern) number was "1" also (as in the second "1"). The 1/2 denotes a clip master blade in Case language.

Which would mean the Cub pattern number is "1". If that's the case then its the first pattern "1" I know of. Historically the Case "01" pattern has been a small pen knife.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

The following information was taken from Steve Pfeiffer's book Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide.

"...The Cheetah Cub was introduced in 2005 as an exclusive Life Member Knife to Case Collectors Club members only. It was then introduced in the second edition of the 2005 catalog in Pocket Worn Peach Seed Jigged Caribbean Blue Bone, Smooth Genuine MOP, 6.5 Bone Stag, Smooth Red G-10, and Corn Cob Jigged Bright Green Bone..."

Since then the Cheetah Cub has been offered in many other natural and synthetic handle materials. I have one in Genuine Stag and Cabernet Bone, and I have seen Abalone and Red Stag as well.

The pattern number is "1 1/2L." So, a Cheetah Cub with bone handle scales would be a 611 1/2L.

It has not been 'officially' discontinued or cancelled, but it is not currently being manufactured either.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Gary, Thank you for posting this information; exactly what we wanted to know.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks Gary! I should have known to look in Steve's book. ::facepalm:: Since I couldn't find much about the Cheetah Cub on the CCC forum I asked some questions about it there, in the "Ask Case" subforum. You can answer my dumb questions there also if you want! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I'm back after a "Cool Down" period. I lost three or four hours of work, composing, and loosing, a few posts that included pictures. I just now spent more than three hours, composing, and loosing a couple more posts. Oh, Well, I'm a glutton for punishment. Here goes another one. While researching the Case Cheetah Cub knives, I believe that I've discovered the Case' Company's most well kept secret. It's their Cheetah Cub Knives! There also seems to be fewer Case collectors interested in the "Cub" knives, than any type knife, that Case ever offered for sale. This, in my estimation, makes the "Cub" knives "Rare Birds" indeed! I have , by a slight mistake, acquired another Cheetah Cub knife. A well known Case dealer, slightly "Pulled the Wool Over my Eyes" , and thereby, I believe, "Skinned Me", a bit. Oh, well, "Live & Learn", as the old saying goes. This "Cub" is a nice knife, and as "rare as Hens teeth" according to the dealer who sold it to me. All of this "Rigmarole" has made me believe that I must become an absolute, spectator, only. I need to do it as soon as I can make myself. Here's a picture of the knife that gave me a "Comeuppence".

Sut Tatersaul
Attachments
DSC00218.JPG
DSC00221.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Sut, I appreciate your post and even more knowing the time spent in posting them. Great little knife. I was unaware of the cub until your post. Probably will never find one but I will be on the look out. Thanks. ::nod:: ::nod::
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi, All;
I've let the dust settle on the Cheetah Cub situation again for a while, and in the meantime I've acquired a couple more Cheetah Cub knives, for a total of five Cheetah Cub, knives. Iv'e been able to pair up two of them with regular Cheetah knives, of mine, a yellow, and a white stag. Here is a picture of my five Cubs, along with my std. Cheetah in rootbeer bone scales. I would like to find a Cheetah Cub knife knife to pair up with my rootbeer bone handled Cheetah shown, but can't find out whether case ever made one. I've tried several times, as members have suggested to get in touch with The Case co. That doesn't work for me at all. I've also bought, and studied some Case Knife Collectors books, and didn't find found the information that I need there ether. Maybe one of our members can come up with it later. Thanks.
Sut Tatersaul
Attachments
DSC00262.JPG
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Great lookin' family there, Sut. ::tu:: ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Great lookin' collection their Sut! I also am a big fan of cheetah knives. Just pick up my first three, and they are Winchesters to top it off. I think i may start a thread about them... ::hmm::
Willy
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

WillyCamaro wrote:Great lookin' collection their Sut! I also am a big fan of cheetah knives. Just pick up my first three, and they are Winchesters to top it off. I think i may start a thread about them... ::hmm::
Willy
Willy;
I just read your post again, and would like to see pictures, of those three Winchester / Cheetah knives that you mention in your post. Please.

Sut Tatersaul

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”