Fakin' the Tested--oughta be arrested!

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Robo

Fakin' the Tested--oughta be arrested!

Post by Robo »

I knew this wasn't an 093 pattern from the Tested era but it took closely examining the tang stamp to solve the mystery of what knife this dog used for his dastardly deed.You have to look close...PS: I borrowed the legit re-issue 80s era KA-Bar in the picture from Ebay.
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253926161569
Attachments
s-l1600-2.jpg
Tony_Wood

Re: Fakin' the Tested--oughta be arrested!

Post by Tony_Wood »

Aside from the fakery, the scale fit on the pile side is atrocious.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Great thread title! :lol:
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Don't need to look at the stamp to know that one is fake!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Robo

Post by Robo »

Thanks gents! I sent a heads-up to the seller who thanked me and pulled the knife right away. A word to new members: Often the seller is completely unaware that they're selling a parts knife, counterfeit, or anything in-between. So a friendly heads-up and they'll thank you and pull it. Then there's guys like the guy listing the Toothpick a couple threads back under "An insult to the Tested 093 Pattern" who is still attempting to sell it--and is getting bids--despite the fact that he mentions "some people have written to me saying this knife is a fake..". And still others who know exactly what they're selling and-- taking advantage of Ebay's passivity in the face of counterfeits-- manage to do it again and again. We soldier on none-the-less.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

He's relisted as a ka- bar made to look like a case. It's plain ugly whatever it is imho ymmv. ::td::
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

IMNSHO that "relisting" should be one of the types of listings banned by ebay and other major online auctioneers. The "across the room" fakes are one thing - a proper collector can usually spot the (and, of course, did rather easily here).

So why should the guy be allowed to relist it as a KNOWN FAKE? :roll:

If someone tried this nonsense with US currency (say, a fake shield nickel or Morgan dollar), the US Secret Service could arrest that person for counterfeiting! ::huff::

But, as always, the only relevant thing for fleabay is the $$$. :x

(I co-sign on the praise for the thread title, too. ::tu:: )
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I agree Tony but that's the world we live in. What's really criminal is bin price for this piece of shirt. Wow. ::woot::
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I found the relisting.

There oughta be a law... ::disgust::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Robo wrote:Thanks gents! I sent a heads-up to the seller who thanked me and pulled the knife right away. A word to new members: Often the seller is completely unaware that they're selling a parts knife, counterfeit, or anything in-between. So a friendly heads-up and they'll thank you and pull it. Then there's guys like the guy listing the Toothpick a couple threads back under "An insult to the Tested 093 Pattern" who is still attempting to sell it--and is getting bids--despite the fact that he mentions "some people have written to me saying this knife is a fake..". And still others who know exactly what they're selling and-- taking advantage of Ebay's passivity in the face of counterfeits-- manage to do it again and again. We soldier on none-the-less.
I agree with your assessment of the types of sellers. Many of those I've notified have removed the listing, re-worded it or added a note saying they have been advised the knife is counterfeit.

But I can recall only one seller who removed the listing and did not re-list the knife as a counterfeit ("clone" seems to be a popular term among sellers - I guess they think that makes a fake more legitimate). ::facepalm:: In that situation I sent the message to the seller but received no response. The next day I posted the knife here in the "Counterfeit Watch" thread.

A few days later I received a response from the seller, saying the listing was being removed, and taking me to task for posting it on AAPK before hearing back from him. Said I was trying to "ruin his reputation" and should gave waited until I heard back from him before posting anything on AAPK. The seller did have several thousand feedbacks with a 100% rating. To his credit I never saw that knife again, at least not listed by him.

All the others I have contacted who responded thanking me either altered their listing or re-listed with a disclaimer about the knife's authenticity. Most are trying to be honest, but bottom line is they're in it for the money. We all know a dishonest seller will buy the knife and subsequently list it as authentic, whereas a true collector would take the fake out of circulation and destroy it, or deface it so it cannot be represented as authentic in the future.

And then there are the sellers who responded "mind your own business". One (auntpearl12) had the audacity to reply "Not my knife. Don't know nothing about it". When I responded "It's your listing" he sent the same again. "Not my knife. Don't know nothing about it." ::dang::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Robo

Post by Robo »

But, as always, the only relevant thing for fleabay is the $$$.
Yeah, I believe a lot of sellers just see it as the American way to --re-brand!--accentuate the positive! Close the deal! they aren't collectors so they have no guiding principles other than "sell it!". If the blade is broken off at the nail mark, talk about what great "Walk and talk" it has, that sort of thing. Or I notice they'll work the flaw into the same sentence as positive part of the description like "Beautiful red bone handles with cracks near the pins" which I guess you'd call de-accentuating the negative. So saying "Ka-Bar knife made to look like an old Case Tested" kinda makes what we consider a level two form of counterfeiting sound almost like a pretty darn neat feature of this knife. But, yeah, it probably wouldn't fly in a court of law to say "No your honor I was just trying to make some paper look like Twenty Dollar bills!"

Thank the spirit of Old Man Case, most of the time the knives that comes out of those little white boxes floor me with the mystery they imbue; with their simple beauty and complex craftsmanship; they're not lies but unquestionable pieces of truth--and made 75 years ago by guys who thought they were making tools to cut rope or dress deer!

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”