Northwoods Willow Leaf Hunter

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
r redden

Northwoods Willow Leaf Hunter

Post by r redden »

I must admit I read more than post on AAPK but have found this forum to be a treasure trove of information so I wanted to ask for some help here. I came across this pre-KSF Dave Shirley era Northwoods what I believe to be a Willow leaf Hunter. I have found some info but would love to hear from some of you more knowledgeable folks any info you may have.
Here's what I believe to be correct info:
First as stated above I believe to be a Willow Leaf Hunter
Second if I'm correct the blade should be D2 tool steel
Third it has a wooden handle but not sure of what kind of wood.
Fourth The sheath seems to be correct for the knife and the attached pouch contains what appears to be the original sharpening stone.
Finally if I don't get in trouble for asking like I would on another forum I'm a member of that frowns on this type question**** the value. ::paranoid::
Thanks all,
Randy
dbEpdhQ[1].jpg
DlqngEe[1].jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Northwoods Willow Leaf Hunter

Post by Quick Steel »

Is the darkness of the blade due to some kind of coating or just a lack of light. I have no info for you but it is a very good looking knife. I've always liked willow leaf blades tho I've only had a couple.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

It's hard to be sure looking at the knife from my vantage point, but I have to wonder if the handle might be some type of micarta rather than wood. If you have a good magnifying glass or loupe, take a close look and see if there is any indication of woven fabric design in the handle surface. I don't know enough about the knife to comment further except to say it looks like it would be an excellent hunting knife.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
r redden

Post by r redden »

Quick Steel wrote:Is the darkness of the blade due to some kind of coating or just a lack of light. I have no info for you but it is a very good looking knife. I've always liked willow leaf blades tho I've only had a couple.
No coating just bad photography

philco wrote:It's hard to be sure looking at the knife from my vantage point, but I have to wonder if the handle might be some type of micarta rather than wood. If you have a good magnifying glass or loupe, take a close look and see if there is any indication of woven fabric design in the handle surface. I don't know enough about the knife to comment further except to say it looks like it would be an excellent hunting knife.
Defiantly wood aand not micarta
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Nice knife. I have, or had, at least 2 of the D.S. Northwoods fixed blades. Excellent knives, just as good as the current Bark River knives. Mike Stewart might even have made your knife.
I have seen the early Northwoods with Micarta but never with a blonde wood. Micarta can show a grain much like wood. I have been fooled in the past, thinking 'gotta be wood' but it actually was an ivory Micarta.
"Value" is a reasonable question and AAPK is a most reasonable association of fine folk.
Knife & sheath are as good as a BRK knife and the new prices for this size start about $220.
But if you are selling it, value is what someone will pay you which here would be $150 or a bit less.
kj
r redden

Post by r redden »

kootenay joe wrote:Nice knife. I have, or had, at least 2 of the D.S. Northwoods fixed blades. Excellent knives, just as good as the current Bark River knives. Mike Stewart might even have made your knife.
I have seen the early Northwoods with Micarta but never with a blonde wood. Micarta can show a grain much like wood. I have been fooled in the past, thinking 'gotta be wood' but it actually was an ivory Micarta.
"Value" is a reasonable question and AAPK is a most reasonable association of fine folk.
Knife & sheath are as good as a BRK knife and the new prices for this size start about $220.
But if you are selling it, value is what someone will pay you which here would be $150 or a bit less.
kj
Thanks KJ that helps a lot. ::tu::

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”