Bone-handled gunstock jack - Lion Cutlery co.

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
mopbucket

Bone-handled gunstock jack - Lion Cutlery co.

Post by mopbucket »

Picked this up at a flea market for cheap; I can’t seem to find any legitimate information on it. Anybody have any ideas? How old is it, company history, value?
Attachments
9009573E-27AF-4B5A-855D-C9C9DC96FBE4.jpeg
A0B60E50-366F-47C1-B28B-15711BAE6476.jpeg
7D148BB2-AC81-4B71-A012-A12ECF0E3B0B.jpeg
EDA05A2F-07EA-432E-8EA3-96E1E7095F3E.jpeg
584C5C37-6A7B-499F-83FB-C3853ECD3EF4.jpeg
mopbucket

Re: Bone-handled gunstock jack - Lion Cutlery co.

Post by mopbucket »

Perhaps it’s from 1903-1929? Found a reference listing it’s tang stamp in a google document.
Attachments
8E670E76-2C5C-4401-866B-775814AB056E.jpeg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

mopbucket wrote:Perhaps it’s from 1903-1929? Found a reference listing it’s tang stamp in a google document.

I think you may be on to something. In Goin's Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings there is a listing for LION WORKS SHEFFIELD. The only additional info on that listing is "A German made knife". Could be related although I certainly can't say so definitively.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
mopbucket

Post by mopbucket »

philco wrote:
mopbucket wrote:Perhaps it’s from 1903-1929? Found a reference listing it’s tang stamp in a google document.

I think you may be on to something. In Goin's Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings there is a listing for LION WORKS SHEFFIELD. The only additional info on that listing is "A German made knife". Could be related although I certainly can't say so definitively.
It does say Germany on the tang ::hmm::
Love this thing tho, it’s got a great snap. Almost jumps outta the hand! Haha.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Likely rehandled,the bone is poorly fitted to the bolster and you don`t see old knives with smooth undyed bone.
Roger
mopbucket

Post by mopbucket »

peanut740 wrote:Likely rehandled,the bone is poorly fitted to the bolster and you don`t see old knives with smooth undyed bone.
I can certainly see how this is possible
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

peanut740 wrote:Likely rehandled,the bone is poorly fitted to the bolster and you don`t see old knives with smooth undyed bone.
You don't miss much do you Roger? "Eagle Eye", that's what I call you.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have an old German EO jack with smooth off-white bone handles similarly fitted as O.P. knife.
Re-working vintage German knives is something i have not seen. Prices of original examples are lower than similar vintage British or USA knives, so 'profit' would be very low.
kj
Edit: just took these pics. handle looks like ivory but experts have said "Bone !" Looking at it again, maybe it was re-handled ? Certainly never had a buff.
Attachments
IMGP5425.JPG
IMGP5426.JPG
IMGP5427.JPG
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Lion Cutlery Co. in Germany was a mark used by Vom Cleff. Usually the lion mark will be on the pile side of the tang and Vom Cleff on the mark side.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

kootenay joe wrote:I have an old German EO jack with smooth off-white bone handles similarly fitted as O.P. knife.
Re-working vintage German knives is something i have not seen. Prices of original examples are lower than similar vintage British or USA knives, so 'profit' would be very low.
kj
Edit: just took these pics. handle looks like ivory but experts have said "Bone !" Looking at it again, maybe it was re-handled ? Certainly never had a buff.
Roland,your knife looks like Ivory to me.I see no pores.
Roger
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

k7k, different lion. You are thinking of Lutters Cut. Co. whose trademark is the 'Reclining Lion' and they made high end knives for Vom Cleff. No relation to O.P. knife.
Roger i agree, looks like ivory but the collector i bought it from said 'no, it's polished bone'. I posted it in BRL forum at BF years ago and experts again said "bone".
So handles are bone, or maybe ivory :?
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

kootenay joe wrote:k7k, different lion. You are thinking of Lutters Cut. Co. whose trademark is the 'Reclining Lion' and they made high end knives for Vom Cleff. No relation to O.P. knife.
Roger i agree, looks like ivory but the collector i bought it from said 'no, it's polished bone'. I posted it in BRL forum at BF years ago and experts again said "bone".
kj
Either way, bone or ivory, that’s a beauty kj.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks SSk, but it is not much of a collectible knife: "Garland Cutlery" = importer, manufacturer unknown other than being German; unsure of handle material; unsure if handles are original or replacement.
I see this knife as 'interesting' and suitable for sharpening and occasional EDC'ing.
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote:k7k, different lion. You are thinking of Lutters Cut. Co. whose trademark is the 'Reclining Lion' and they made high end knives for Vom Cleff. No relation to O.P. knife.
kj
Roland:Is this the stamp you are referring to?
Attachments
VomCleffLionCutleryCo.TangStamps 005.jpg
VomCleffLionCutleryCo.TangStamps 006.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Yes to the reclining lion but i have never seen it with "Lion Cutlery", only with "Lutters" a well known Solingen cutlery manufacturer. I will be back at knife home in a few days and then will check in Anthony Carter's book for mention of "Lion Cutlery" in description of Lutters.
My apology for stating you were mistaken. Have you seen other knives with the same markings ?
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote:Yes to the reclining lion but i have never seen it with "Lion Cutlery", only with "Lutters" a well known Solingen cutlery manufacturer. I will be back at knife home in a few days and then will check in Anthony Carter's book for mention of "Lion Cutlery" in description of Lutters.
My apology for stating you were mistaken. Have you seen other knives with the same markings ?
kj
No apology necessary Roland. Here is another Vom Cleff knife with the same markings.It is a whittler with one blade snapped off and the other tipped. I've had it for many years and bought it because I liked the stag handles. Unusual for a whittler.
Attachments
VomCleffSleeveboardJack2017 001.jpg
VomCleffSleeveboardJack2017 002.jpg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I've seen a few knives like the Lion O.P. that were smooth bone and low quality. I'd say the smooth bone handles on the O.P. and Roland's knife are original. Doesn't make sense to do all the work to re-handle, pin and fit a shield only to leave the handles short of the bolsters. Anyone that could do this work as a repair would do better. These knives were low cost imports and for me that explains the poor handle fit.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
mopbucket

Post by mopbucket »

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. I love this knife and its wonderful to know more about it. ::groove::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Carter's book "German Knife and Sword Makers" gives "Lion Cutlery", registered in 1905, as one of the markings used by C. Lutters & Co. The more often seen marking is "C. Lutters & Co." over reclining lion trademark with "Lowenwerk/Solingen" underneath.
Although not stated, i think "Lion Cutlery" was the marking used for export knives as it is in English, not German. Most of the knives i have seen with "C. Lutters & Co." have been 'upscale' knives, precise & beautiful.
kj
mopbucket

Post by mopbucket »

kootenay joe wrote:Carter's book "German Knife and Sword Makers" gives "Lion Cutlery", registered in 1905, as one of the markings used by C. Lutters & Co. The more often seen marking is "C. Lutters & Co." over reclining lion trademark with "Lowenwerk/Solingen" underneath.
Although not stated, i think "Lion Cutlery" was the marking used for export knives as it is in English, not German. Most of the knives i have seen with "C. Lutters & Co." have been 'upscale' knives, precise & beautiful.
kj
That would make sense they’d have a line of export knives with English branding. I’m pretty happy with this knife. I’ll have to dig around and see what I can find about C. Lutters & Co. - seems to be an older manufacturer? Thanks KJ! ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: " seems to be an older manufacturer?"
Yes, founded by Carl Lutters in 1840, C. Lutters & Co. became one of the largest Solingen cutlery manufacturers. By 1920 they specialized in high quality folding pocket knives.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”