Price Guide

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
fitzroe

Price Guide

Post by fitzroe »

Why do 1970 case knives value higher than most other years?
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Price Guide

Post by jerryd6818 »

I think it has something to do with being the first year they went to the dot system of dating their knives. Other than that, you need to wait on someone who buys them because not being a Case collector, I don't understand it either.

BTW, I'd like to take this opportunity to belatedly welcome you to AAPK.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote:I think it has something to do with being the first year they went to the dot system of dating their knives. Other than that, you need to wait on someone who buys them because not being a Case collector, I don't understand it either.

BTW, I'd like to take this opportunity to belatedly welcome you to AAPK.
What drives prices is always a bit curious but I think jerry is right. 1970 was the first year Case used a "date code" system of sorts on their knives.

Prior to that, stamping changes were just incidental to new tooling changes or legal requirements, like having to add country of origin markings. The 1970 change to yearly stamp changes was acknowledgement that folks were starting to collect their knives and cared when they were made. Which turned out a stroke of marketing genius. JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

fitzroe wrote:Why do 1970 case knives value higher than most other years?
Well, that kind of depends on exactly what you mean. Do you mean "1970", or do you mean "1970's"?

Let's break this down a bit shall we? These three (basic) era's are arguably the most collected:

1. XX Era: 1940-64.
2. USA Era: 1965-69.
2. Original Dot: 1970-79.

If you're referring to 70's Case, starting in the year of 1970, Case placed 10 "Dots" on the tang stamp of their folding knives. Each new year until 1979, Case subtracted/deleted one dot. So a 1970 Case would have 10 dots, 1971 has 9 dots, 1972 has 8 dots, etc.

Like any other collected item, people want the "first edition", "premier issue", or basically "No.1". So as far as original dot era Case, and condition being equal, in most cases (no pun intended), a 10-dot will usually carry a higher price tag. Unlike XX & USA Case, a 10-dot gave you the exact year the knife was made. On a USA era knife for example, it could have been made in 1966 or 1968. Who knows?

Look at it this way. I like NASCAR in a BIG way (well I used to when it was "Winston Cup" (1971-2003). Therefore I sometimes collect certified autographed cards of my favorite driver. In 2002, there were several of the same identical autographed cards on eBay. They are all numbered from the factory to 50. I wanted #1 of those 50 cards and I paid for it even though all the other 49 cards were identical. Card #1 sold for about $30 more than card # 37. Why? Because it's #1. No other reason.

The same thing applies to knives or just about any other collected item, like cars, guns, motorcycles, anything that might carry a number from the factory. People will take a 6-dot if that's the only thing they can afford, but I guarantee you they would take a 10-dot if they could, and the knife met all other requirements.

Hope this helps-Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
fitzroe

Post by fitzroe »

Mike
I can understand that.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

fitzroe wrote:Mike
I can understand that.
Probably more information than you needed but I like to be thorough. :mrgreen:

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

fitzroe wrote:Mike
I can understand that.
One thing I found last year when I sold through a massive collection I bought, was that baby boomers are often willing to pay a lot to get a certain knife that they want. I had several inquires about certain years, mostly from the 70’s where someone wanted a certain year that coincided w/ their graduation, marriage, child born, etc. I think some of this is fondness for their lost youth and trying to get something back from that era. W/ the dating system started in 1970 it made it possible for collectors to pin point the exact year and knife they wanted. I also had people who collected every pattern Case made for a certain year.
The psychology of collecting would be an interesting study.
Also a belated welcome to the forum.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I was in high school in the 70's. I would rather forget most of that time... :lol:
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
gunut

Post by gunut »

my daughter was born in 74 and my son in 78....so most of the knives I give them are from their birth year....I personally like the 90-93 date stamped knives.....
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

In addition to reasons already mentioned, an observation I have is the bone used for handles on the 10 dot 1970 knives was especially pretty and differentiates them from most of the later 1970's knives.
Attachments
Case XX USA 6488 1970 10 Dot #3 small.jpg
Treejakal

Post by Treejakal »

One possibility: 1970 is when the was a ban on Stag and a lot of collectors grabbed the 1970 stags because they were limited in number and possibly thinking there would not be any more in the future. The interest may have spilled over to bone handled knives. JMO
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK 'gunut'. Glad to have you aboard.
gunut wrote:my daughter was born in 74.
So was mine and my son too. They're five days apart (he's adopted from a second marriage).
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”