Wilbert Cutlery Company Hunters Pride Knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Han0verfiste

Wilbert Cutlery Company Hunters Pride Knife

Post by Han0verfiste »

Hey Guys Im asking what to value this knife at. It has a Wilbert Cutlery Company Tang Stamp and I found it in a 1920s Sears Catalog as the Hunters Pride Knife . It is like new in condition, and if anyone can , can you give me an idea of value?
IMG_2357.jpg
IMG_2361.jpg
Attachments
IMG_2356.jpg
outkast

Re: Wilbert Cutlery Company Hunters Pride Knife

Post by outkast »

Wilbert's can bring big money, I gave $400 for this jumbo cigar that is not mint Handles are good but master has been sharpened and has the spot under the nail pull. Now my opinion cigar pattern is a little more desirable at least for me anyway. Also the guy I bought mine from had another last time I saw him that had good legible blade etch. He said it was already sold and guy was paying $600.
Wilbert Cut. Co. Big Cigar 3.jpg
Wilbert Cut. Co. Big Cigar 4.jpg
Wilbert Cut. Co. Big Cigar 5.jpg
Wilbert Cut. Co. Big Cigar 7.jpg
Wilbert Cut. Co. Big Cigar 7.jpg (41.03 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

HanO, your knife is fairly nice looking but it is no where near mint or unused. It has been heavily cleaned at some time and the blades appear to have sharpening loss. As for value, some guys like 'em cleaned, some don't.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Ditto what Gene said.Just because it is shiney,that don't make it mint.
Roger
Han0verfiste

Post by Han0verfiste »

Ok I can Go with that, The knife is wicked sharp so it could have been sharpened and polished.
Thats why Come here to get set straight. So both of you guys thanks for the info.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I cropped the blades out of one of the original pictures and brightened them a bit. I would be grateful to learn how to read these blades to know they have been "heavily" cleaned. The blades appear to have carbon spots in a few places. Did the cleaning occur some time ago and have these spots appeared after the cleaning or did the cleaning not remove them? I'm not suggesting the blades have never been cleaned. My expectation is that heavy cleaning would have removed all of the spots.
Attachments
Wilbert Blades.jpg
Han0verfiste

Post by Han0verfiste »

I will post some better photos tomorrow, These blades are as I found them , I would be interested in how to tell myself.
I find knives all the time I would love to be a better judge of a good blade.
BWT

Post by BWT »

Hano that is a really good looking knife. Maybe it was never used a lot, and always kept in good condition. I'm not at expert, actually a rookie. I have a few knives that are older knives that look really clean and looking at them in person they don't look heavily cleaned just well taken care of???
Bill
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Take a photo with the blades closed looking down from the top.
Roger
thefarside

Post by thefarside »

Waiting for better pictures, but looking at those supplied to date, I see a lot wrong with the knife. Crack in front handle, pivot pin has been replaced and if you look closely the pen blade may have been welded on (note different color of steel both sides of blade at the tang). The pen blade shows far more loss of original grind lines than the master.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

outkast wrote:Wilbert's can bring big money, I gave $400 for this jumbo cigar that is not mint Handles are good but master has been sharpened and has the spot under the nail pull. Now my opinion cigar pattern is a little more desirable at least for me anyway. Also the guy I bought mine from had another last time I saw him that had good legible blade etch. He said it was already sold and guy was paying $600.

I have a similar Wilbert that I bought out of an antique shop junk box for $3. Mine is referred to as the moose pattern. I had to do some work on it though. It had to be repinned because some one used it as a crowbar. The blade didn't break as they are about 3/16" thick.
IMG_1705.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
outkast

Post by outkast »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:
outkast wrote:Wilbert's can bring big money, I gave $400 for this jumbo cigar that is not mint Handles are good but master has been sharpened and has the spot under the nail pull. Now my opinion cigar pattern is a little more desirable at least for me anyway. Also the guy I bought mine from had another last time I saw him that had good legible blade etch. He said it was already sold and guy was paying $600.

I have a similar Wilbert that I bought out of an antique shop junk box for $3. Mine is referred to as the moose pattern. I had to do some work on it though. It had to be repinned because some one used it as a crowbar. The blade didn't break as they are about 3/16" thick.

IMG_1705.JPG
Actually a jumbo cigar hence the shape and not blade configuration. Nice knife either way you look at it. I'm fairly sure iot's the same as mine so would have had the blade etch at one time.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

outkast wrote:
OLDE CUTLER wrote:

IMG_1705.JPG
Actually a jumbo cigar hence the shape and not blade configuration. Nice knife either way you look at it. I'm fairly sure iot's the same as mine so would have had the blade etch at one time.
Outkast,OC's blades are reversed from yours.
Roger
outkast

Post by outkast »

peanut740 wrote:
outkast wrote:
OLDE CUTLER wrote:

IMG_1705.JPG
If it's 4 1/4" I still say same pattern, as for the blades being opposite I don't think it's that uncommon it's been seen with other knives bad day at work oops put that shield in upside down or even put the wrong blade in.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

outkast wrote:
peanut740 wrote:
outkast wrote:
If it's 4 1/4" I still say same pattern, as for the blades being opposite I don't think it's that uncommon it's been seen with other knives bad day at work oops put that shield in upside down or even put the wrong blade in.
Agreed.It appears original.
Roger
outkast

Post by outkast »

peanut740 wrote:
outkast wrote:
peanut740 wrote: Outkast,OC's blades are reversed from yours.
Agreed.It appears original.
Wilbert Cut. Co. Big Cigar 6.jpg
Han0verfiste

Post by Han0verfiste »

Here are the requested pics of the knife top down and some better blade pics.
IMG_2381.jpg
IMG_2380.jpg
IMG_2386.jpg
IMG_2388.jpg
IMG_2383.jpg
IMG_2387.jpg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Gene is correct.The knife has seen some not to kind cleaning.Master blade is well short of it's original length and reshaped. Both blades choils are ground away.Also blades wouldn't have a brushed finish to them.Even after being ground on you can still see pits.
Roger

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”