Pictures from Blade Show West

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Pictures from Blade Show West

Post by orvet »

I took a few pictures of the Blade Show West so that those of you that were not there could see a little bit of it. I have never been to the Atlanta Blade Show, I understand it is incredibly crowded and a lot larger than this first show here in Portland. Nevertheless, I am really pleased to see them bring a Blade Show out to the Pacific Northwest which at this point in time is where the majority of the American Cutlery Industry is located.

First, let me apologize for the pictures! The lighting was horrid for taking pictures and all I had was my cell phone to take pictures with. Hopefully you can get the general idea.

I only went to the show on Friday and I apparently beat the crowd. I got there early and the first place I went was to the table of Mitchell Harrison (tune fink on AAPK) and looked at some of his impressive selection of Randall knives. I tried not to drool on them. You can see from the lighting reflection on these cases that taking pictures was not easy.
tunefink 1.jpg
tunefink 2.jpg
tunefink 3.jpg
tunefink 4.jpg
The next place I went was to Culpepper's booth to get some bone handle material. I was installing handles on a knife the day before the show and broke a chip out of one handle. I called Culpepper to see about getting some replacement handles and they told me Christy Culpepper was at the show and she had the pattern that I needed, amber bone with RV jigging.
While I was there I got a couple pictures for all you knife mechanics. Don't you wish you had this kind of a selection to choose from in your shop? ::drool:: ::drool::
Culpepper – 1.jpg
Culpepper – 2.jpg
Culpepper – 3.jpg
I also went to visit the folks at Fine Turnage Productions just to drool on some of their ivory. I thought I got some pictures of their table of mammoth teeth but apparently I didn't.
Fine Turnage Productions -1.jpg
Fine Turnage Productions -2.jpg
I also stopped to see Dave, the Kershaw Guy to buy another Kershaw Leek with the partially serrated blade. Lately I find that almost always have a Leek in my pocket. Those Onions do get around, (a joke for the Kershaw aficionados). The fellow behind the counter is not Dave but a friend of mine named Win Knight. Win and Dave are both OKCA members (Oregon Knife Collectors Association) and Win was also a Marine.
Kershaw Guys Table.jpg
I had to stop and see some other friends of mine Sally and Gene Martin, both of whom also served in the Marine Corps as well. Sally makes mosaic pens and Gene makes knives and also makes blanks for people. I have known Sally and Gene for many years as we have tables near one another at the OKCA show. I'm bought a nice ATS 34 blank from Gene that I'm going to finish up for myself. ::groove::
Provision Forge -1.jpg
I spent a bit of time at the Benchmade booth fondling some of their new wares. I definitely added to my list a new Benchmade Proper.
I would have bought one at the show but Benchmade didn't have them there to sell, they were supposed to be at the SMKW booth, but the folks at SMKW didn't seem to know where they were, or know anything about them. I really like the sheepfoot version of the Proper, it's very close to a Wharncliffe and with S30V steel! Both handles are nice, but I think I like the red G10 just a little bit better for the grip. I think I'm going to have to take a road trip up to Oregon City soon. :D
https://www.benchmade.com/catalogsearch ... /?q=proper

I also found out another great fact about Benchmade: they give a veterans discount of 30% if you buy at their store in Oregon city or from their online store! know the owner of Benchmade, Les De Asis is very pro-veteran. I also know they like to hire veterans. When I worked for the State of Oregon doing job development with disabled veterans myself and another veterans representative met with Les and he introduced us to his personnel people. We did get at least one job placement with them. This was many years ago, just prior to their move to Oregon city. It's nice to see such a pro-veteran company and to see them doing so well! ::nod::

If you haven't seen the new Proper check it out, you just might find you really like it.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Pictures from Blade Show West

Post by orvet »

Here are a few random pictures around the show. The WE booth was a company from China were selling knives. Some were very nice looking, though not very traditional. I looked at one of their folders that was very smooth and ask how much it was?. I was thinking it was a pretty good deal for 40 or $50 because it did open and close so very smoothly. When the guy told me it was $250 I said "Oh, thank you very much." IMHO, it would've been nice knife for $50 but I thought way overpriced at $250.
WE.jpg
Random Shots -3.jpg
Random Shots -1.jpg
Random Shots -2.jpg
Random Shots -4.jpg

I hope you enjoy the pictures that was all I got, though it seemed like it took a lot more ::shrug:: .
Dale
AAPK Administrator

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Dale, the Culpepper and Fine Turnage pics are over the top!!
Those type of tables are my favorites at knife shows.
Thanks for posting pics.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Thanks for posting photos Dale. That looks like a lot of fun. I could spend all day there. ::tu:: ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

XX Case XX wrote:Thanks for posting photos Dale. That looks like a lot of fun. I could spend all day there. ::tu:: ::nod::

I spent about 5 1/2 hours there Friday and my back and feet are still extremely upset with me. Of course I spent most of the time standing on my feet on concrete. When I have a table the OKCA show I have a stool to sit on and a good rubber mat to stand on. It makes an enormous difference!

There were 200+ tables and booths there so I think BSW off of to a promising start. I hope it gets better every year. I didn't see many people with used knives or old knives, there were some but it wasn't like the OKCA show where half the tables are vintage knives.
The table prices are high enough it may keep a lot of small sellers away.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Thanks for the pics, Dale! You KNOW I really liked those Culpepper pics. ::drool::

I had a similar experience in Mystic at the NCCA show, with the Masecraft table.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Thanks for sharing Dale!!! ::tu:: ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Thanks for the post . I was wondering how it turned out . The Show in Atlanta has a bigger crowd, can't walk. Maybe the West Coast Blade will grow .
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Thanks for posting the info and pictures. The tables of handles are stunning!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Kind of you to share with us Dale. Looks like a great show. Never been to a knife show. Some day. Glad you got to see old friends, always good. ::tu:: ::tu::
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Thanks for posting this Dale . ::tu::
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Thanks for the photos for all of us to see Dale! Those Randals had my head spinning! :)
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Thanks Dale - I haven't heard the inside scoop on whether the show was a success but I'm glad the left coast is being given some attention, long overdue for this type of venue IMHO
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Thanks for the pictures Dale. Looks like there was a lot to see there. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Really enjoyed your photos Dale. Great job. Looks like there were far more vendors than at the West show in Ontario CA some years back.
If you do hear how the show did overall, kindly pass that on to us. Thanks again.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks guys, I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

MAN... I sure wish one of these SHO' NUFF blade shows would come close enough for me to attend.
Best I can do is go to a gun show and MAYBE see a few knives.

Mike
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne

Return to “General Knife Discussion”