Need some help with this 196x-7x Jack

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Need some help with this 196x-7x Jack

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I bought this knife because it didn't look like any other Camillus I had seen. If it turns out to be a frankenknife, that OK...

I looked through all the 1960s-70s Camillus catalogs that are online, but I couldn't find anything with this combination of attributes. It's a 2-blade serpentine Jack that is a bit under 4 inches closed. It has a spear primary and an odd (at least to me) shaped pen secondary. There is NO model number on either blade. The primary tang is a 3-line italic (196x-7x). The tang of the secondary says "U.S.A." It has an oval shield with NO lettering. It has slanted bolsters and the bottom bolster is slightly pinched. The liners are brass. The handles are jigged - and I'm not sure if it bone or "Cabone". The jigging doesn't look like other Camillus knives I have, and the jigging on the front side looks slightly different than the reverse. What the heck is this?
20181003_200456.jpg
20181003_200626.jpg
20181003_200533.jpg
20181003_200544.jpg
20181003_200558.jpg
Poor macro image of the handle material:
IMG_20181003_201046.jpg
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Need some help with this 196x-7x Jack

Post by orvet »

Without examining it in person, just looking at the pictures; it appears you have a spear blade from a Camillus TL-29, a pen blade from a WW II Imperial Easy Opener and perhaps a Boker frame, though I don't know Boker too well it could be from someone else.

I think the handles are bone.

How is the walk and talk, did they get it put together well?
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Yes, it functions quite well, and I like the look and feel of it. The nail nicks line up quite well and are easy to use (one of my pet peeves is a knife that I can't easily get to the nail nick on all the blades.) I'm really not upset that it's a frankenknife - I suspected as much when I placed my bid. I probably paid too much, but I'm a sucker for slanted bolsters on old knives.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I do like the slanted bolsters, too.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Well.... even if it is a frankenknife.... I like it!
That is one sweet Camillus....

Mike
::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Like the looks of it. Those slant bolsters are appealing! ::tu::
David
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

It looks like a knife Camillus should have made. Looks like a fine pocket dweller. ::tu::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That one would ride in my pocket in a heart beat frankenknife or not. I like it.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”