GEC Clip Blade Styles: What Do You Like?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.

What Clip Blade Style Do You Like?

Long spine, long swedge (recent 15's, 14's, possible 291319)
29%
"Straight clip" (2014 run of 77 Washington/Yankee Jacks)
14%
"Medium Droop" (recent 44 gunstocks, 2016 run of 54 Big Jacks, possible 291319)
21%
"California Clip" (2016 run of 48 Improved Trappers)
21%
"Big Droop" (possible 976119)
14%

Total votes: 14

m0nk

GEC Clip Blade Styles: What Do You Like?

Post by m0nk »

The recent runs and popularity of GEC clip blades has me thankful, but at the same time, a little disappointed. I'm glad they're doing clip blades again, but I can't seem to warm up to the big drooping bellies. If you haven't seen them yet, GEC released drawings of possible premier patterns for 2019, including a heavy sleeveboard, a medium cattle knife in a whittler configuration, and a large Coke bottle. The Coke bottle has such a droop and a visible recurve to the clip blade that a friend of mine remarked that it resembled a kukri blade.
http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/201 ... -for-2019/

To me, the most aesthetically pleasing clips of all are the straight clips of the 2014 run of 77 Washington/Yankee Jacks. Just perfect. The clips on the recent 44 Buffalo Jacks are almost as straight, which looks great to me. But the clips on the 2018 15s and 14s droop downward quite a bit more, and the possible new 2019 clips seem to have an even more exaggerated droop. BTW, I'll just say now how glad I am for the clip/sheepsfoot combination on the new 861219. That's gonna be really nice knife, with it's generous size (3.88"), end caps for strength, and very useful blade combo.

So my questions are, what are the historical or functional reasons for the droopy clip blade styles? I suspect that if there weren't good reasons, GEC wouldn't be making them that way. And, what do you prefer and why?

Lee
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GEC Clip Blade Styles: What Do You Like?

Post by Railsplitter »

My EDC is a GEC Churchill and I'm more than content with that style of Clip blade. However, I do prefer the California Clip like the one on the #53 Stockman.

I don't like the aesthetic appearance of the big bellied Clips or other blades with big bellies but they sure are good cutters.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I think I'd have to go with an option that isn't really present in the poll, the "California-style" yet broad, big-bellied clips used in the most recent 74 run.

A very close second is the big honkin' "drop-clip" from the 43s...

The 81 Bull Moose I'm carrying today is probably closer to the "long swedge, long spine" style of the 15s, and that's pretty great too.

I think maybe I like 'em all! ::shrug:: :lol:
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The long slender California Clips on the 48 Improved Trapper.
488213-EC-bt-jig-brazilian-cherry.jpg
Or is that more of a Turkish Clip? Or maybe a Skinning Blade?
Attachments
1-Clip Blades.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I would vote for GEC's standard #1 clip blade or the straight clip blade that is the top blade in the picture jerry6818 posted but I'm not confident which one either is in your poll. I am happy with the #1 clip master blades in my 54 pattern knives.

I mostly posted to write that even though I like large Coke bottle knives the extreme "droop" in the picture of the proposed 976119 large Coke bottle is a deal killer for me. The small amount of "droop" Case and Queen used in the saber ground clip blades in large Coke bottle knives is traditional but GEC'c exaggerated "droop" as drawn is ugly and would make the knife awkward to use. Hopefully it is not too late for GEC to reconsider.
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Modern Slip Joints wrote:I would vote for GEC's standard #1 clip blade or the straight clip blade that is the top blade in the picture jerry6818 posted but I'm not confident which one either is in your poll. I am happy with the #1 clip master blades in my 54 pattern knives.

I mostly posted to write that even though I like large Coke bottle knives the extreme "droop" in the picture of the proposed 976119 large Coke bottle is a deal killer for me. The small amount of "droop" Case and Queen used in the saber ground clip blades in large Coke bottle knives is traditional but GEC'c exaggerated "droop" as drawn is ugly and would make the knife awkward to use. Hopefully it is not too late for GEC to reconsider.
I couldn't agree more. I'm not interested at all in the proposed new Coke bottle because of the exaggerated droopiness of the blade. I love the clip on my 43. Agree with Tony on the 35 Churchill; that's a very nice clip. I agree with Rick that the 54 (mine's a Big Jack) has a good clip. Just last night I was cutting some dried sausage with my Case Peanut, and the downward pointed blade was making the job difficult. Why not stick with a straight clip?

I'd still like to hear if anyone knows what the historical or functional reasons are for the droop. Because I know it's not good for cutting food on a plate.

Lee
MadTrapper

Post by MadTrapper »

I like a basic clip blade such as the one on the top in the picture posted above. I also very much prefer a wharncliffe or sheepsfoot blade either primary or secondary. Incidentally, and some may find this odd, I won't buy a knife if it has a spey blade. Just my 2 cents on the issue of blade styles.
"A knife is as personal and necessary a thing as a man ever owns." Bob Loveless

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”