Older Camillus Counter Hone

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Older Camillus Counter Hone

Post by knifeaholic »

Case made something similar to this, but this is the first Camillus example that I have seen.

I got the photos from a knife collecting group on Facebook.
Attachments
Camillus Hone #1.jpg
Camillus Hone #2.jpg
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Older Camillus Counter Hone

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks for posting that Steve. That is indeed rare. It would make a nice addition to the Sharpening Stones thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40335&hilit=Hone. I have seen Remington counter hones and I have several different hones advertising Case, Queen, and a Robeson "Sharp-Stik" but never have seen one from Camillus before. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...I can't remember what I had for breakfast, but I remember seeing one of those stones when I was a kid in the tupelo hdwe. co. store when I was a kid, seems like there was always somebody standing there sharpening a knife every time I went in there with my granddad!!!..... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ..................
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

That's a great piece of history I'd love to have one of those! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.......I wish I weren't a computer dummy and knew how to post photo's!!- I've got a 1930's-1940's era photo of the interior of tupelo hardware(store is famous because that's where elvis's mother bought his first guitar) that shows the long counter where all the knife displays were and there's someone sharpening a knife on something that resembles that stone!!!!................. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...................
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

carrmillus wrote:.......I wish I weren't a computer dummy and knew how to post photo's!!- I've got a 1930's-1940's era photo of the interior of tupelo hardware(store is famous because that's where elvis's mother bought his first guitar) that shows the long counter where all the knife displays were and there's someone sharpening a knife on something that resembles that stone!!!!................. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...................
.........elvis who??.....................
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Dang it Tommy I just came through Tupelo on Friday. I spent the night in New Albany on Thursday. I may have to come by there and give you some lessons. :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

The counter hone was for sale on facebook...not sure if it is still available. Anyone interested PM me.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”