Robeson Washington Jack

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
jxr1197

Robeson Washington Jack

Post by jxr1197 »

This is my first Robeson - it's kinda rough but it must have been gorgeous when it was new. The proportions are nearly identical to Schrade's 2203 pattern. The liners are milled front and back and the 'Hickory Whittler' that I thought was an etch is stamped into the clip blade. I'm guessing 20's or 30's for when this knife was made? Does anyone here know of a source for catalog images for Robesons from that era? The pattern stamp on the back of the clip shows 622602. A couple of pics..
mark.jpg
cliptang.jpg
pentang.jpg
bladestamp.jpg
milling.JPG
- Jason
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Robeson Washington Jack

Post by edge213 »

Nice one!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Amen to edge213's comment! ::tu::
Robeson is seldom seen in this part of the world.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

jxr, that is a good one. Scales and shield are impressive. Great looking old knife. ::tu::
BWT

Post by BWT »

That's a good looking knife Jason, thanks for sharing!! ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice old knife, Jason. It has a lot going for it including the sunken joints and the beautiful covers and a lot of life left. ::tu::
Joe
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

That one is very nice!! :)
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Nice knife. I think I saw it or one like it, on EBay recently.

I was aware Robeson made a Washington Jack, but I have never actually seen or handled one.

Here is the illustration from an old early 1900’s catalog, specifically the reprint published by David Clark.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
E47E8DE9-7C19-4D2A-A70F-3C1210967D28.jpeg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Half sunk joint. Corner of tang is above bolster when closed.
kj
RobesonsRme.com

I agree Roland, not a true "PocketEze" is it?

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:I agree Roland, not a true "PocketEze" is it?
I'm confused here. The OP knife appears to be identical to the one in the catalog photo, milled liners, blade etch and everything. I can see the sunken joints but does that mean there was a poor attempt to replace the blades? Is the OP knife legit?

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
biglmbass

Post by biglmbass »

Nice one. I've never seen one like it.
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

POCKET EZE! I totally get it now. I didn't connect the sunken joint with the shield, and frankly I wasn't familiar with the term sunken joint. I love learning new things! Thanks all for the feedback and info here. Charlie that's amazing that you had the catalog image - thank you!

I don't think this knife has been apart and when I search Robesons on ebay and look for the Pocket Eze knives I see many are flush to the frame but not all. There are a few that stick up a bit and it looks like the frame is the common element. Swell end jacks protrude while equal-ends and serpentines don't.

I compared this knife to a Schrade 2203 and you can see in the photo that the Schrade is nearly twice as high:
sidebyside.jpg
And while I was scanning the ebay listings I actually came across another 622602 for sale right now and you can see in the pic it also has the same profile when closed. This knife has been cleaned to the point that the washington bolsters were ground flat. Over cleaning the knife is one thing but destroying those bolsters is unforgivable.
ebaysample.jpg
- Jason
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Maybe "Pocketeze" was given a bit of leeway ? If you look in LG4 his example of half sunk joint sticks up only slightly, about the same amount as the O.P. knife. As can be seen when compared with the Schrade, it is a big improvement over the height of Schrade tang, so i'm o.k. with this being a "Pocketeze".
I think with certain patterns a sunk joint is too weak and half sunk is strong enough.
kj
RobesonsRme.com

Nothing at all wrong with the OP knife.

Most of the PocketEze knives will have the backs of the blades truly flush with the frame.

I actually have no idea how they accomplished that, but if it was a near final task on a grinding wheel after the knife was assembled, I can see how the guy might not finish it out as required.

All of the senators and pens that I’be seen have been flush. When I do see a blade above the frame, it’s generally been a jack.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think the sunk joint involves a different tang shape/size and perhaps placement of pivot pin as well. I don't think buffing down the corners of tang is how a sunk joint is achieved. It would interfere with the blade/spring meeting when fully open.
kj
RobesonsRme.com

That is true. Thank you. I did not think of that.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”