Camp knife scale material ????

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Meridian_Mike

Camp knife scale material ????

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Hello all,
I just made a deal on this Camillus camp knife. It looks to be a 1941 to 1946 era knife from what I can see on the tang stamp.
Y'all got any idea what these scales might be made of? They look pretty dog gone good for the age.
1941-46_1.jpg
1941-46_2.jpg
1941-46_3.jpg
Mike
:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Meridian_Mike

Re: Camp knife scale material ????

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Well, I was just interested by how rough looking and deep the jigging pattern is. Doesn't look like stag, sort of looks plastic (delrin?)
Anyway, just thought maybe you Camillus guys could throw a bone my way.

Mike
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

There were so many different mid-century plastics being developed, that it would be hard to know exactly which one this is. It's not celluloid, but too early for Delrin. My personal opinion would be Bakelite. It's harder then many plastics and doesn't tend to shrink like the other mid-century plastics. Camillus and Utica both used it for a few years, but then it just seemed to go away.

Here's a couple of Camillus built and one Kutmaster toothpick in that same material. I like it, not sure why they quit using it, it's far better then the shrinky dink plastics.
SANY0001-003.JPG

WB
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.....that looks like the 1914-1941 4 line tang stamp, but I'm not much on plastic types from that period???? .... ::shrug:: ...................
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

whitebuffalo58 wrote:There were so many different mid-century plastics being developed, that it would be hard to know exactly which one this is. It's not celluloid, but too early for Delrin. My personal opinion would be Bakelite. It's harder then many plastics and doesn't tend to shrink like the other mid-century plastics. Camillus and Utica both used it for a few years, but then it just seemed to go away.

I like it, not sure why they quit using it, it's far better then the shrinky dink plastics.

WB
Thanks WB...
Yep, too early for delrin.... Thanks for pointing that out.
I was figuring some sort of plastic like material. That is why I ask. Looking at the close up of the tang you can see how smooth and dull the finish on the material is. SO... from that I figured it wasn't horn or stag.

I know one thing.... I love the deep jigging on mine and on your 3.

carrmillus wrote:.....that looks like the 1914-1941 4 line tang stamp, but I'm not much on plastic types from that period???? .... ::shrug:: ...................
Good eye on the tang stamp Carrmillus. And I sure don't know squat about the early plastics. I know some will shrink up really bad and it looks like the plastic on mine is pretty stable.

Thanks guys!
Mike
:D
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I think I've heard that handle material referred to as "Rough Black". I don't have any idea what it's made from.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.......it looks like the same material that was on my cub scout knife, only it was dark blue(sure wish I still had it!!)..... ::tu:: ............................
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Like Phil said I’ve always called it rough black composition .
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

ScoutKnives wrote:Like Phil said I’ve always called it rough black composition .
Sho 'nuff... sounds like a winner to me.

::tu::

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”