Tested 6380?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
dto1982

Tested 6380?

Post by dto1982 »

I dont know much about this pattern. What do you guys think?
SmartSelect_20180916-091107_eBay.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Tested 6380?

Post by doglegg »

It's a knice little whittler. ::tu::
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Would like to see the tang stamp, but looks good to me . Congrats on a great find ::tu:: ::tu::
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Wow!!! yes including the one that Larry has, that is only the second Tested 6380 that I have ever seen!! Great knife!!
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
dto1982

Post by dto1982 »

knifeaholic wrote:Wow!!! yes including the one that Larry has, that is only the second Tested 6380 that I have ever seen!! Great knife!!
As a professional collector would you have a rough estimate of replacement value? I'm going to increase my insurance to cover my collection but I'm drawing a blank on this one. Thanks for writing an excellent price and general referance guide btw.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

dto1982 wrote:
knifeaholic wrote:Wow!!! yes including the one that Larry has, that is only the second Tested 6380 that I have ever seen!! Great knife!!
As a professional collector would you have a rough estimate of replacement value? I'm going to increase my insurance to cover my collection but I'm drawing a blank on this one. Thanks for writing an excellent price and general referance guide btw.
$2,500 to $3,500 based on the condition as seen in the photos.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
dto1982

Post by dto1982 »

knifeaholic wrote:
dto1982 wrote:
Thank you sir. Finds like this one really get my blood pumping. Makes me want to go to every estate sale and dig through every old tool box lol!! Just thinking that this stuff is still out there waiting to be uncovered...
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

dto1982 wrote:
knifeaholic wrote:
dto1982 wrote:
Thank you sir. Finds like this one really get my blood pumping. Makes me want to go to every estate sale and dig through every old tool box lol!! Just thinking that this stuff is still out there waiting to be uncovered...

dto1982, You hit a home run, and finding it in a toolbox is great. ::tu:: ::tu::
Please post some more pictures of it.
Larry W

dto1982

Post by dto1982 »

jlw257 wrote:
dto1982 wrote:
knifeaholic wrote:

dto1982, You hit a home run, and finding it in a toolbox is great. ::tu:: ::tu::
Thank you, I'll post more and clearer photos here shortly.
dto1982

Post by dto1982 »

jlw257 wrote:
dto1982 wrote:
knifeaholic wrote:

Quick question. Would you clean this or leave it alone?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Rare old knife, in great condition! ::tu::

Any cleaning should be limited to what you can do with a soft cloth, Q-tips, and a mild solvent like mineral spirits. A jewelers cloth is the most aggressive thing I'd use. More aggressive cleaning removes metal, and risks of de-valuing the knife. When you finish, wipe it down thoroughly with something like Tuf-Glide or RenWax to prevent rust. Handle it with white cotton gloves or similar to prevent leaving fingerprints - the acids they leave behind will cause oxidation. JMO ::handshake::

I'm also an advocate of Sackups for storage of knives and firearms. Been using them for years and can testify to their quality and effective protection and corrosion resistance. You can buy them online, there are versions available for storing knives individually or in multiples.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

I agree with Ken. ::tu::
Larry W

dto1982

Post by dto1982 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Rare old knife, in great condition! ::tu::

Any cleaning should be limited to what you can do with a soft cloth, Q-tips, and a mild solvent like mineral spirits. A jewelers cloth is the most aggressive thing I'd use. More aggressive cleaning removes metal, and risks of de-valuing the knife. When you finish, wipe it down thoroughly with something like Tuf-Glide or RenWax to prevent rust. Handle it with white cotton gloves or similar to prevent leaving fingerprints - the acids they leave behind will cause oxidation. JMO ::handshake::

I'm also an advocate of Sackups for storage of knives and firearms. Been using them for years and can testify to their quality and effective protection and corrosion resistance. You can buy them online, there are versions available for storing knives individually or in multiples.

Ken
Thanks for the advice. I will follow your instructions. Leave the belt sander idle for now!! Joking lol!!!!
dto1982

Post by dto1982 »

I keep seeing these knives that are 100 plus years old with what looks like a factory finish. People have to be buffing them I would think. I'm talking mirror finish, zero scratches, and so on. I always figured best to leave it alone other than standard care and upkeep.
dto1982

Post by dto1982 »

dto1982 wrote:
jlw257 wrote:
dto1982 wrote:

Quick question. Would you clean this or leave it alone?
More photos.
Attachments
20180920_121351.jpg
20180920_121422.jpg
20180920_121135.jpg
20180920_121403.jpg
20180920_121147.jpg
20180920_121156.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Is this the pattern they call a “Carpenter’s Whitler” of am I thinking of something else?
SSK
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
dto1982

Post by dto1982 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Is this the pattern they call a “Carpenter’s Whitler” of am I thinking of something else?
SSK
Yes I believe it is
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I see the OP knive has made it to Ebay for a mighty wishful price.
Roger
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

peanut740 wrote:I see the OP knive has made it to Ebay for a mighty wishful price.
Hmmm! Perhaps someone should have explained the concept of value in less than mint condition and the difference between book value and actual value. ::woot::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
dto1982

Post by dto1982 »

Does nobody understand the concept of a best offer listing? Pretty common on Ebay. Could ask for a million dollars if I want to. Buyers are welcome to make.an offer or buy it from someone else. I'm well aware that the value, in this condition, as stated earlier in this post is 2500 to 3500 dollars. Not quite sure why it matters either way.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

dto1982 wrote:Does nobody understand the concept of a best offer listing? Pretty common on Ebay. Could ask for a million dollars if I want to. Buyers are welcome to make.an offer or buy it from someone else. I'm well aware that the value, in this condition, as stated earlier in this post is 2500 to 3500 dollars. Not quite sure why it matters either way.
When I see a knife listed for way over what the knife is worth it immediately tells me something about the seller. Should a novice or other uninformed person actually offer that price I think the seller would take the money and run. He's fishing for sucker's. I'll just take my business elsewhere.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

gsmith7158 wrote:
dto1982 wrote:Does nobody understand the concept of a best offer listing? Pretty common on Ebay. Could ask for a million dollars if I want to. Buyers are welcome to make.an offer or buy it from someone else. I'm well aware that the value, in this condition, as stated earlier in this post is 2500 to 3500 dollars. Not quite sure why it matters either way.
When I see a knife listed for way over what the knife is worth it immediately tells me something about the seller. Should a novice or other uninformed person actually offer that price I think the seller would take the money and run. He's fishing for sucker's. I'll just take my business elsewhere.
Ditto.
Roger
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

peanut740 wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:
Ditto.
Larry W

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

To clarify in this case the question asked and answered was "what should I insure it for?" Not "what's it worth?" Those are not always the same. ::doh::

Yes I'm very familiar with "best offer" eBay listings - and in my experience most sellers that successfully use that method price the item around 20% above what they expect to get, or believe the item to be worth. So if they think the item is worth $3000 for example, the price listed would be $3600 OBO.

But it's a free market so you see all sorts of price schemes. If someone is willing to pay at least 2x what an item is worth, so be it. I've overpaid myself (but not over 2x ::woot:: ) for knives I wanted and thought I'd probably never get another chance to obtain. I've also seen overpriced items go unsold through multiple listings, with the price incrementally lowered each time until either someone finally bought it, or the listing disappeared. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

The most current price list I have from an esteemed Case dealer with 60+ years experience with Case knives shows a $5500 book value for a mint Case Tested XX 6380 Green Bone. Who would have thought a knife price on that price list could be under-priced? :) ::uc:: ::hmm:: ::shrug::

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”