My first Ulster

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
woodwalker

My first Ulster

Post by woodwalker »

I was checking out the Ulster thread under Knife Lore and it sure made me want one. So I go to my favorite antique store and the guy had a bag of knives for sale for ten bucks. One was a daddy barlow Sabre and the rest was just ole junk chinese and Taiwan type knives but at the bottom of the bag was this Ulster. Well I just spent an hour cleaning up this old soldier and kinda like it. It has Ulster Knife Co on it. Unfortunately it is missing the scales on one side. BUMMER. I am still glad to have it. Any ideas of age? Thought you guys might like to see it! Thanks for looking. :)
Attachments
20180912_125422.jpg
20180912_125036.jpg
20180912_124750.jpg
20180912_123720.jpg
20180912_122949.jpg
20180912_122915.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My first Ulster

Post by doglegg »

Wish the scale was there too. Great old knife.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Thanks doggleg!! Just my luck!! :) They are well made. That's for sure. One day I will find one with both scales. :)
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Those were great old knives.
No promises but I may have a pile side scale for that knife. It is a bit of a long shot, but I will try to check my old scout/camper pile tonight.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

orvet wrote:Those were great old knives.
No promises but I may have a pile side scale for that knife. It is a bit of a long shot, but I will try to check my old scout/camper pile tonight.
Awesome Dale!! That would be so nice!! Is that bone Rogers or Greenbone or just regular bone? I do like the knife very much even with its issue. Thanks for checking for me. :)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

WW, there are lots of Ulster Knife Co bone 4 blade Utilities 'out there'. Check on ebay and before too long a better example will show up and often they can be won for little money.
kj
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Thanks KJ will keep my eyes peeled!! :)
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

woodwalker wrote:
Awesome Dale!! That would be so nice!! Is that bone Rogers or Greenbone or just regular bone? I do like the knife very much even with its issue. Thanks for checking for me. :)
It looks like Rogers bone to me.
So far, no luck finding a donor knife. I will keep looking though.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Age question: It is pre-1941, when Baer bought the company. Rogers bone exists as two definitions: One:The type of jigging and and color of their most popular seller, and the second definition: bone manufactured by the Rogers bone company. They sold more than one kind. Another example would be the "Indian Trail" bone found on some Cattaraugus knives. And there were other patterns. Some annoying people sell knives with 'Rogers Bone' which were made after that bone company burned down and their bone no longer existed. I saw one this morning on ebay that was manufactured in the 1990s. The old 1930s Ulsters have great curb appeal, do they not? ::tu::
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

orvet wrote:
woodwalker wrote:
It looks like Rogers bone to me.
So far, no luck finding a donor knife. I will keep looking though.
Thanks Dale. I really like this knife. I carried it today and it is a hoss. Really well made and built like a tank. I appreciate your time.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

tongueriver wrote:Age question: It is pre-1941, when Baer bought the company. Rogers bone exists as two definitions: One:The type of jigging and and color of their most popular seller, and the second definition: bone manufactured by the Rogers bone company. They sold more than one kind. Another example would be the "Indian Trail" bone found on some Cattaraugus knives. And there were other patterns. Some annoying people sell knives with 'Rogers Bone' which were made after that bone company burned down and their bone no longer existed. I saw one this morning on ebay that was manufactured in the 1990s. The old 1930s Ulsters have great curb appeal, do they not? ::tu::
My goodness tonguerivet I love this knife!! This thing is built the way all knives SHOULD be built. A tank and such a beautiful bone color. It just looks old and we'll built. I am so glad I didn't pass on it because it was missing scales on the pile side. I carried today at work and I just couldn't quit looking at it!!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Some Ulster official scouts from the 1930s. All are available.
Ulster scouts001.jpg
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

tongueriver wrote:Some Ulster official scouts from the 1930s. All are available.
Ulster scouts001.jpg
Tongueriver, are they available thru you? I like them all! I really like the far right one in the picture.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

My good friend Ed Landers put a pile side scaLe on this old Ulster! He also put a shield on for me as well as a full master and a pin to pull the can opener!! He buffed it up and I received it in the mail today!! :) He also added anot her Ulster for me as a sign of friendship. He added a few other knives as a BOMB which I will post in the BOMB thread!! I don't know how many of you know Ed but he is a fine man who I am proud to have met! Sorry Ed I just felt it needed to be said.Thank you Ed!! ::ds::
Attachments
20181011_175123.jpg
20181011_175135.jpg
20181011_175206.jpg
20181011_175255.jpg
20181011_175308.jpg
20181011_175341.jpg
20181011_175351.jpg
20181011_175412.jpg
20181011_175502.jpg
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

woodwalker wrote:My good friend Ed Landers put a pile side scaLe on this old Ulster! He also put a shield on for me as well as a full master and a pin to pull the can opener!! He buffed it up and I received it in the mail today!! :) He also added anot her Ulster for me as a sign of friendship. He added a few other knives as a BOMB which I will post in the BOMB thread!! I don't know how many of you know Ed but he is a fine man who I am proud to have met! Sorry Ed I just felt it needed to be said.Thank you Ed!! ::ds::

Awesome!! Good for you and for that knife.
Great work, Ed.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Tony_Wood wrote:
woodwalker wrote:My good friend Ed Landers put a pile side scaLe on this old Ulster! He also put a shield on for me as well as a full master and a pin to pull the can opener!! He buffed it up and I received it in the mail today!! :) He also added anot her Ulster for me as a sign of friendship. He added a few other knives as a BOMB which I will post in the BOMB thread!! I don't know how many of you know Ed but he is a fine man who I am proud to have met! Sorry Ed I just felt it needed to be said.Thank you Ed!! ::ds::

Awesome!! Good for you and for that knife.
Great work, Ed.
Thanks TW!!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”