Does anybody answer a price question?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
44mag

Does anybody answer a price question?

Post by 44mag »

Hey Folks,
Does anyone around these parts ever directly answer a price question? I've read a little bit that has been written requesting what a knife might be worth and haven't found an answer yet. I am not being critical and I do understand the variability of the market, etc, but what does a guy do to figure out what a knife he isn't familiar with should bring? Any thoughts appreciated.
Bruce
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Does anybody answer a price question?

Post by jerryd6818 »

Completed auctions on eBay is one of the best indicators of what the market is currently paying for a particular knife. Throw out the high, throw out the low and average what's left.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Hi Bruce and welcome to AAPK. I would say that many of the forum members here have been quite accommodating in responding to price questions. Many of the members that join AAPK are only here to find out the value of their inherited or found knife and never intend to be a part of the forum community, and that's perfectly fine. The most common place to look for a knives current value is recently SOLD eBay auctions which is probably the broadest knife marketplace in the world. That said, you could see a wide range of knife prices which can be driven by condition, rarity, collect-ability and buyer interest.

We've seen $20 knives sell for over $100 because 2 bidders got into a bidders-war. On the other hand, we've also seen $100 knives sell for $20 because the title was incorrect and buyers couldn't find the knife. It all depends on time and circumstance.

What knife do you have that you have a price question about? ::handshake::

<<UPDATE>> I see my friend Jerry responded as well....also great advise!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

bestgear wrote:Many of the members that join AAPK are only here to find out the value of their inherited or found knife and never intend to be a part of the forum community, and that's perfectly fine.
In my humble opinion that's perfectly fine is what I meant to say.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

44mag

Post by 44mag »

Thanks to the two of you, so far, who have posted thoughts. My question is what the two knives I have posted pictures of recently might be worth. They are under the posting Hotchkissville Knife Co. I did research the two knives on Ebay with no result for either. Thought maybe there would be a close guess on value here. Yes, I will be reselling them, but don't want to ask too much and don't want to give them away, either. I'm sure most folks on this website feel the same way. From what I have read so far, this group is similar in membership to an old tools group I also belong to. Just a really good bunch of folks that enjoy others of like mind and more than willing to help when possible. That said, I have very little to add to the knowledge base, but will try when I have something to add. If anybody has any ideas as to value on these two knives, I will be seriously grateful. They are apparently too old or scarce to be listed in the old book I have. Also am going to try to find a newer book that will help with pricing, and realize books are only a guide and are not gospel.

Hope I didn't rant too much.... I really look forward to learning and hopefully contributing. Thanks, again
Bruce
Who only has humble opinions....
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

bestgear wrote:
bestgear wrote:Many of the members that join AAPK are only here to find out the value of their inherited or found knife and never intend to be a part of the forum community, and that's perfectly fine.
In my humble opinion that's perfectly fine is what I meant to say.
Tom,
You can make corrections or changes to a post for 24 hrs (I believe it is for that long). All you need to do is click on the pencil icon in the upper right area of the window. Also, by clicking on the 'X' in that same area of the window, a post can be deleted for about that same period of time so long as another post has not been entered.
Just for what it is worth... :) :wink:

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I think the main issue is that the knives you posted are not very common. I'm certainly not an expert, but I've never heard of either of those old brands. It's hard to give estimates when there have been no recent sales, or even knives offered for sale.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Hey Bruce you might consider listing your Hotchkissville and A Field knives on Ebay auction and let the market set the price. I have never sold anything on ebay but as the H in particular is on the scarce side it could cause some excitement. I have enjoyed looking at them. ::tu:: ::nod::
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I'm speaking only for myself with these comments. (rant alert)

For the person asking the "how much is my knife worth?" question, their perception likely is that it is only one simple question why doesn't one of these experts respond? The reality is this question typically gets asked several times per week on AAPK so the people who can answer get fatigued with the question, especially because there is typically no appreciation offered for the free appraisal. There are many friendly, knowledgeable people on AAPK who might be able to provide an appraisal off the top of their head (i.e., quick and easy to respond). However, many times a knife in question may be undocumented and not popular so it would require a lot of time and effort to research, even for the experts.

When folks show up with the "how much is this knife worth question?", I would appreciate some information from the requester that explains what they already know about knives, the research they have already performed, what they have already learned about the knives they are asking about, and why they are interested in determining a knife's value. Here are a couple of made up scenarios and the kind of response I might provide.

Scenario 1: I'm an eBay seller who doesn't know anything about knives and I happened to pick up a knife (via yard sale, inheritance, etc.). I have no desire to learn anything about knives and don't care to participate in AAPK beyond getting my question answered as fast as possible. I'll never come back to AAPK again unless I end up with another knife I want to sell for the highest price possible.
Scenario 1 Response: In my opinion, if an answer is not readily available, the most appropriate response to this person would be for them to list the knife on eBay starting at $0.99 to run for 7 days ending on Sunday evening between 7:00 PM and 9:00 PM Central time. This ending time window seems to be the prime window for knife auctions ending and there will be lots of "knife eyes" on eBay at this time. If the knife has value, it will attract bids.

Scenario 2: My dearly loved grandfather recently passed and left me his knife/knives which I treasure. I don't know anything about knives, but I want to use this opportunity to start collecting knives as a way to honor the memory of my grandfather and carry on a family tradition and pass the collection on to my children someday. I'm looking for advice to understand how to complement the collection my grandfather started as well as define my own interests in what I would like to collect. I want to make sure I invest my time and money wisely during this pursuit and would be very grateful for any advice. I look forward to active participation in AAPK.
Scenario 2 Response: I would be happy to help this person any way that I could.

A focus on knife collecting, traditions, and heritage is why many of us collect knives and there will be much support provided to assist someone in accomplishing those objectives. There likely won't be as much support available from folks on AAPK to assist someone in meeting their profit motives. In short collectors will get more attention than profiteers.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Deciding what would be a fair price for a vintage knife is not easy. For any knife there will be differences in assigned value among experienced collectors. One guy might believe it to be worth 2-3x what the next guy values it at, etc. The more rare the knife is the harder to assign value because you likely have never seen one like it sell. Extreme rarity often decreases value. A threshold number of knives are needed to create collector interest.
Current value is not connected to original price or quality of workmanship. Price with collectibles is decided by supply vs. demand.
I think no one posted price suggestions because of the knife rarity, no one has a firm idea of market value.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I agree w/ Roland. I would be very reticent to tell someone a price, especially on a knife I know nothing about. Everyone on here has had a different experience w/ old knives. Some love them and others could care less. To the person that loves old knives they might be willing to shell out a lot of money for an old knife. But to others, and I’m in this category, mint condition, authentic and desirable is more important, they would not pay much.
I don’t buy older knives for my own collection for numerous reasons. 1) too many variables that I don’t know enough about. 2) too many fakes out there. 3) I just prefer shiny and new to old and worn.
So those two knives you have might be worth 20 bucks to someone like me and worth 200 to the aficionado.
If you bought those at a flea market and only paid a little for them, it’s highly unlikely that you found an undiscovered gold mine. They are probably worth what you gave for them.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I almost never respond to a request for a value because:

1) I do not consider myself an expert on value.

2) Even if I were an expert, the person requesting the value often does not provide enough information for anyone, no matter how knowledgeable, to answer the question. I would say that it is quite unusual for anyone requesting a value to provide a good set of photos of the whole knife from both sides and top and bottom, open and closed.

I agree that the best possible way to determine value is to search Ebay for completed auctions of similar knives.
Mel
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Agree on the eBay and research thing. I don’t give opinions anymore personally, not that I’m any kind of exert at all, but I know a little bit about a couple of brands and patterns as most of us do.

Case in point #1: A friend of mine in another part of the country inherited a large number of knives when his dad passed. The father had been a big time collector and trader and had some VERY nice knives, a lot of old HOK’s, and some junk as most of us who “collect” tend to have. My friend kept some very nice knives, and some sentimental ones too, but wanted to move the rest. He sent me pictures, I looked around the internet and eBay, and gave him a realistic range of value for each knife and why. He was pleased, sold some knives and made money. For my efforts he gave me choice of a knife from a group he knew I liked, and I ended up buying two more from him. He was happy, I was grateful, and everyone left the deal pleased.

Case in point #2: On more than one occasion I’ve helped folks with brands or patterns I know, received a thank you, and when I inquired about buying the knife was told in essence it was going to eBay and they hoped I won it. That kind of struck me the wrong way. So after getting that response a time or two I just stopped for the most part.

If a guy is going to help you out, the least you can do IMO is show some appreciation shoot him a fair price before you go through the trouble of eBay. I may be off base, but that’s my opinion. YMMV
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
44mag

Post by 44mag »

Ladies and Gentlemen, I do appreciate the info provided. You have given a good overall set of reasons in response to my question. I did pay a good amount for these two knives and hope to do well with them. Honestly, I just hope I didn't pay too much. The suggestion of timing the Ebay end time makes a lot of sense. I do a little Ebay and Sunday end times seem to help.

My sincere hope is that I did not offend anyone with my initial question. Looking forward to a good rapport with the assembled knife lovers.
For now, thanks and best wishes.
Bruce
44mag

Post by 44mag »

In response to Colonel 126; I agree fully with your comment on the second situation. I think the guy was rude to you and if I were in your shoes would not consider even viewing his auction, let alone bid on it. There are indeed an abundance of people out there that need a lesson in manners. Of course, I have let my mouth overload other body parts a time or two in my life.... (Chuckling at self)
Bruce
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

44mag wrote:In response to Colonel 126; I agree fully with your comment on the second situation. I think the guy was rude to you and if I were in your shoes would not consider even viewing his auction, let alone bid on it. There are indeed an abundance of people out there that need a lesson in manners. Of course, I have let my mouth overload other body parts a time or two in my life.... (Chuckling at self)
Bruce
Lol. ::handshake:: I’ve been known to shoot off the mouth before thinking more times than I care to remember. Unfortunately, most of the time around the Mrs. ::facepalm::

I really don’t know anything about your knives. But I hope you stick around. This really is a good bunch of guys here.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I went to your post for the two knives and put some numbers in for them. Probably about as accurate as a shotgun.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Some very good points on this subject have been brought up here. Another thing is knives are asked to be appraised based on pictures alone. Sometimes pictures don't tell the complete story. Sometimes the pictures are blurry, non close ups. Sometimes people make posts asking for value appraisal with no pictures at all. I am sure all of you, like me, will say the same thing, "I would like to look at it in hand". I use a small flashlight and a loupe to look at knives before I buy. I have only bought 2 knives on ebay and they were both brand new unused. Can't feel or hear the snap in a picture. The only times I have ever given out a value on a knife is if I have one just like it, I will tell you what I paid, which probably is useless too. Every knife is an individual, just as every person is an individual, with an individual amount of cash in their pocket.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

I think Wayne summed it best in your other post Bruce.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I'm one of the members here that, if I know something about the knife in question, will give my opinion. And I'll usually tell the requester to do some research (sold listings on eBay) to check my opinion. If I don't know anything about the knife I usually move on, and hope another member that does know something will respond. If it's been a while with no response, sometimes I'll advise the OP to do the eBay sold listings search. I suspect that disappoints many of them terribly. :lol:

However I'll agree with many previous statements here. Usually the person making the request has just joined here to ask that "how much is it worth?" question. They seem to expect that just from a couple of pictures, often blurry and out of focus, someone can magically tell them a rock solid value. ::shrug:: Occasionally the requester posts a "thank you" but a lot of them never bother, and never post here again. ::dang::

I know there are knives that nobody knows anything about and the question never gets answered, or the post fades away without being seen by anyone that can answer. Not sure what can be done about those, but following up like you have done doesn't hurt. ::handshake::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

44mag wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen, I do appreciate the info provided. You have given a good overall set of reasons in response to my question. I did pay a good amount for these two knives and hope to do well with them. Honestly, I just hope I didn't pay too much. The suggestion of timing the Ebay end time makes a lot of sense. I do a little Ebay and Sunday end times seem to help.

My sincere hope is that I did not offend anyone with my initial question. Looking forward to a good rapport with the assembled knife lovers.
For now, thanks and best wishes.
Bruce
Bruce this has turned into a very good forum. Lots of intelligent and helpful comments. Thanks for asking the question. ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Mumbleypeg wrote:I'm one of the members here that, if I know something about the knife in question, will give my opinion. And I'll usually tell the requester to do some research (sold listings on eBay) to check my opinion. If I don't know anything about the knife I usually move on, and hope another member that does know something will respond. If it's been a while with no response, sometimes I'll advise the OP to do the eBay sold listings search. I suspect that disappoints many of them terribly. :lol:

However I'll agree with many previous statements here. Usually the person making the request has just joined here to ask that "how much is it worth?" question. They seem to expect that just from a couple of pictures, often blurry and out of focus, someone can magically tell them a rock solid value. ::shrug:: Occasionally the requester posts a "thank you" but a lot of them never bother, and never post here again. ::dang::

I know there are knives that nobody knows anything about and the question never gets answered, or the post fades away without being seen by anyone that can answer. Not sure what can be done about those, but following up like you have done doesn't hurt. ::handshake::

Ken
Ken, I agree w/ you completely. One thing I think that motivates people to ask this question is akin to “gold fever”. “I just bought this knife cheap and am hoping it’s worth a lot of money”. I won’t get into the morals of taking advantage of someone who is ignorant of the value. That’s a whole other discussion. I see this when people want to buy “penny stocks”. They think they will buy a lot of shares real cheap and like magic it will be worth millions. Can’t tell you how many times I have talked people out of making that mistake.
This is a good discussion. It has exposed some raw nerves, I think, but that’s a good thing to get it out in the open.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
44mag

Post by 44mag »

I wish I could respond to all the great responses that have been posted. To Colonel26, I definitely intend to stick around a while! I have already seen there is a wealth of information available, but good folks willing to share their point of view. I think that makes for a terrific place to spend some time. I will continue to ask questions, some of which may actually be appropriate, but please understand that I will never intend to offend. I like calm, non-abrasive discussions and I have seen that here. Stirring the water is not my cup of tea.

In summary, a big thank you for suggestions and assistance in my latest adventure in the great unknown. Y'all are good people.
Bruce
OleSmoky

Post by OleSmoky »

Howdy gentlemen,

As a newcomer here and considering the topic of my initial posts about my grandfather's collection, I just wanted to poke my head in this thread and say that I can completely see your points of view. The knowledge and passion many of you have is immense and I have full respect for the years of work you've poured into learning and sharing so much.

As for my personal situation, my grandfather passed in 2010 and I've had his collection of knives since then along with other things the family passed down to me as the only grandchild. In the past 8 years, the knives are the one thing I know very little about other than the brand name shown on them.

I had spent time on learning how to date Case knives and I at least separated them all by the date range they fell into. I somewhat figured out pattern styles and handle material, but what I didn't know was how "rare" any of them were or if some were worth far more than others. As I started googling each type of pattern, date, color, etc and searching ebay, this forum kept popping up in searches.

I had close to 100 knives and while it may not have been the best introduction now that I see many new people have made similar posts in the past, I was hoping to gain some insight about any of them, because you guys are the most knowledgeable people I have come across when researching these.

I sincerely apologize if I came across the wrong way in my "grandfather's collection" posts. My original intention was not to sell them, but I have to be honest (and even humble) in admitting there are knife collectors that could take better care of them than me...and for that reason alone would I ever consider parting ways in order to know they went to someone that could keep them up for decades to come.

He was a great man...he left me many great things which I could never part with. I have a handful of personal knives that I'll never get rid of, and my son has been enjoying his first knife for the past 4 years....he's getting a new one next month. :) (he's 10) And I'll be making a separate post asking for your all's recommendations on a good knife for him. :wink:

Again, thank you all for freely sharing your wealth of info here...I look forward to getting to know many of you better and I fully appreciate those of you that have chimed in with cleaning tips, info on knives to separate from others as I learned about gasses, how to spot fake knives, and so much more. I've learned more about knives in the past week than I have my entire life...and for that I am truly grateful.

Humbly,
Shane
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I have a strong opinion on what I'm willing to pay for any given knife.

I do not have a strong opinion on what you're willing to pay, or accept, for any given knife.

That is what governs my contributions to AAPK. :mrgreen:

:wink:

Glad to have you aboard, Bruce -- and ::welcome:: to Shane too -- hope to see your contributions in the future! Sometimes we just like showing off the same knives we've shown off 1000 times before, so there's rarely a time when there's nothing to offer to the forum. ::nod::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

Return to “General Knife Discussion”