Jumbo Jack???

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
BWT

Jumbo Jack???

Post by BWT »

Very solid knife, one of my favorites, only Robenson I have. Tang reads 22250.
Attachments
20180830_114523_001.jpg
20180830_114501.jpg
20180830_114713.jpg
20180830_114704.jpg
Bill
FRJ

Re: Jumbo Jack???

Post by FRJ »

Very nice knife, Bill.
What is the closed length?
Joe
BWT

Post by BWT »

3 3/4 in. Joe
Bill
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

That ol' gal makes me drool. ::drool:: What a great looking HOK!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks TF for the comments. I really like it too,my only Robeson, really well made.
Bill
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Bill, nice large Jack! I wouldn’t call it a Jumbo Jack but rather a large or heavy jack. In the salesman catalog reprint (date circa 1908 to around 1930) by David A. Clark he shows a rendering and brief description on page 9 of no. 22250. It says “Heavy Cocobolo handled Jack Knife. One heavy spear blade and one pen blade. Brass lining; nickel silver bolster. Length when closed 3 1/8 inches.”
3 1/8 inches closed could be an error because it looks bigger or more robust than that. Anyway, hope this helps some! By the way, the catalog rendering or photo shows a spear blade etch “Bull Dog”. The pin location/placement is a little different in the catalog so maybe yours was a different era with same no.?

Charlie will be by I am sure with more insight or correct what I have posted.
Attachments
4CD979C1-2E0B-4523-A5AA-D04996B110E4.jpeg
Lloyd
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Lloyd, that is interesting one way or another.
Bill
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

These are great knives. and yours is very nice.

I've never had one. I saw a very nice ebony handled one at a show in Chattanooga, I think. Blades were full, but grey. However, the BULL DOG etch was deep and totally legible. Price was $100.00. I showed it to Cindy Taylor and asked her opinion. She told me I could find a better one for that kind of money. I never did. ::facepalm::

That was in the early 90's.

Robeson made similar or identical jacks with different etches. The Beaver is one, but I think that knife has a different pattern number.

And they may vary slightly in length.

There was another on Ebay a few weeks ago with a different etch, KEEN EDGE. 3 3/4" long. I think it belongs to an AAPK member.

It did not sell.

Photos below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROBESON-KEEN-E ... SwAJFa4ow3

I've seen these with ebony and smooth black composition.

They are a handful of knife.

Charlie
Attachments
Robeson KEEN EDGE 1.jpg
Robeson KEEN EDGE 2.jpg
Robeson KEEN EDGE 3.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Charlie for the info and compliments. I was really happy to find it. I'm not sure what a good price today is, but I feel like I was treated fairly. It's a handful as you said.
Bill
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I love those old Jack Knives. That one is a treasure.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
BWT

Post by BWT »

Thanks Mark
Bill
biglmbass

Post by biglmbass »

I saw one exactly like the catalog cut posted by Duffer above at the Dalton, GA show several years ago. It was super minty with full blade etch. Very strong springs & snappy blades. Guy wanted either $200 or $250. Cut the heck outta the tip of my finger upon closing the master blade for the last time. ::uc::
BWT

Post by BWT »

biglmbass wrote:I saw one exactly like the catalog cut posted by Duffer above at the Dalton, GA show several years ago. It was super minty with full blade etch. Very strong springs & snappy blades. Guy wanted either $200 or $250. Cut the heck outta the tip of my finger upon closing the master blade for the last time. ::uc::
I have no idea if mine ever had etching, it's long since gone if it did. It will still bite if you get careless. I have no idea of the value now of this one, but never had seen one and wasn't about to let it get away.
Bill

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”