My 2 Favorite CSC

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
kootenay joe

My 2 Favorite CSC

Post by kootenay joe »

I have owned about 12 Canal Street Cutlery folding knives. All are well made satisfying to own knives, but these 2 speak to me in a more personal, friendly way. It is as though they possess a personality in addition to their handsome appearance and smooth blade action. These 2 seem more like custom knives than production ones.
Eric's Jack is 3 3/8", Stag handle & 440C clip blade, made in 2014. This is the epitomy of a Jack knife, the essential heart & soul.

2015 BladeForums Serpentine Double End Jack with Bocote handles edges rounded to liners and 440C blades, single spring, classy & slim. This is a 'Do-It-All' knife, from field dress ole Whitey to slice your fresh tomato. I love it.

Eric "ea42" is the cutler who built these knives, i think from start to finish so they actually are custom made, sole authorship knives.
Thank you Eric.
kj
Attachments
IMGP3988.JPG
IMGP3989.JPG
IMGP3990.JPG
IMGP3985.JPG
IMGP3986.JPG
IMGP3987.JPG
IMGP3991.JPG
IMGP3992.JPG
IMGP3997.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My 2 Favorite CSC

Post by doglegg »

Those are both wonderful knives Roland. Even more special as Eric had a hand in it.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Two Great Choices Roland. I love them both as well. I am also very partial to the Pinch Lock Backs, Barlows and Boys Knives as well. Who am I kidding, I love all of my Canal Street Knives....LOL

Tom
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I also have both of those. Some of the nicest to come out of CSC, IMO. Even more so knowing that Eric had a hand in crafting them!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for your posts. Part of why i so like these 2 is that they are just 'essential knife' there are no embellishments, they are pure knife.
Eric's Jack is just the perfect Jack that i have just now decided it will not go back into the box. It's going into my pocket and it will be in my pocket when i finally keel over. This is The Knife i have been looking for ! It took awhile to find it and then to realize it. Making it my permanent EDC is definitely the right thing for me to do.
kj
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

kootenay joe wrote:Thanks for your posts. Part of why i so like these 2 is that they are just 'essential knife' there are no embellishments, they are pure knife.
Eric's Jack is just the perfect Jack that i have just now decided it will not go back into the box. It's going into my pocket and it will be in my pocket when i finally keel over. This is The Knife i have been looking for ! It took awhile to find it and then to realize it. Making it my permanent EDC is definitely the right thing for me to do.
kj
That everyone should have such a fine and beautiful knife for their EDC.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

I was wondering what are the differences between the CSC "Eric's Jack" and their new Boy's knife in stag. I have read a lot of stuff on the Eric's Jack knife and it seems amazing. I have one of their new Boy's knives in stag on reserve, so I am kinda hoping they are very similar.:)
Larry

Each one, teach one.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Eric's Jack was made at Canal Street Cutlery. I think the Boy's Knife you are referring to is a GEC made knife. If i get a stag Boy's knife i can do comparison pictures.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Thanks a lot Roland, now I have two more knives to be hunting for to add to my collection. It never ends.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think there were only 100 "Eric's Jack" made. If you see one for sale it likely won't last long. Original price was just over $100 i think.
kj
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Canal Street actually produced Boys Knives with quite a few handle materials.

I have the following:

Eric's Jack
Whitetail Antler
Yellow Canvas Micarta
Cocoabola
Black Micarta
Smooth Red Bone
Scarlet Bone- Enroute from Redhill Cutlery (One of the Co-op knives)

Tom
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Poster says: "I have one of their new Boy's knives in stag on reserve".
This surely is a reference to GEC ?
Or, is the CSC Co-op doing a run of Boy's knives with Stag for Red Hill Cutlery ?
kj
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

KJ,

They are Canal Street Co-op knives exclusive to Redhill Cutlery. They sold out all of the Canal Street Co-op knives that Redhill listed on their website. There was a Stag Boy's Knife....

Canal Street Co-op can't produce the knives faster than Redhill Cutlery can sell them, keeps your eyes and ears open and be prepared to react quickly if you want a Canal Street Co-op knife.....lol

Quantities are very limited...Like the Scarlet Bone Boy's Knife....less than 12 produced and no they are not numbered.

Tom
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Roland, fyi the stag boys knife from Red Hill will have a sheepfoot blade.

Eric
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

ea42 wrote:Roland, fyi the stag boys knife from Red Hill will have a sheepfoot blade.

Eric
Thanks for the information, Eric.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Hideaway Knives

Post by Hideaway Knives »

Cool pieces thanks for the pics!

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”