Gunstock

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
m0nk

Re: Gunstock

Post by m0nk »

Those are some good looking goldenrod shots, guys! The main blade on mine came with a visible "step" in the satin buff about 3/8" from the tip, on both sides. I haven't seen anything like that before. It's very apparent in electric lights indoors, but in full sun it disappears. The outdoor pics I took today don't show it. If I send it back to GEC they'd probably touch it up no problem, but since this is a user I might just force a patina and forget about it. I'll try to get some pics and post them sometime. Does anyone else have this same characteristic on their 44 clip?

Now on to the pics...
buffalo_jack_1.PNG
I love the main clip and I really like how it's actually a little longer than the 78 main spear, even though the 78 frame is 1/4" longer.
comp_44_78.PNG
I've been admiring the color of my Beer Scout since I got it, and I'm thrilled to get almost the same color on this 44. The 44 is just a tad darker, but the same basic golden color. They almost glow translucent in the full sunlight.
comp_44_BS.PNG
cheers,
Lee
JET79

Post by JET79 »

Hey Lee, I checked mine out and doesn’t seem to have what you were describing but great pics! I really like that beer scout to.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

These are sweet!
Attachments
IMG_2118.JPG
David
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Hey, nice grab, David! They are indeed!! ::tu::
Love all Jacks
singin46

Post by singin46 »

2 more I'm still waitin on! Another TC Muscadine Ancient Barlow and a Navy Rope knife, designed be Charlie, it came out a few years ago. C'mon mailman!!! ::ds::
Love all Jacks
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

The more I looked at that Autumn Gold jigged bone contrasting with the brass bolsters (fluted on one end I might add) the better I liked it. Thought I'd better run over to CK and secure one.
Attachments
IMG_4999-1.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Yep, that’s a very striking knife, Greg! Congrats
Love all Jacks
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds::

Pics of the autum gold bone in progress!

Can't wait!

::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds::

(If you see me placing an order for the cocobolo or goldenrod gunstock, slap me before I give them my payment. Thanks. ::paranoid::)
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Tsar Bomba wrote:(If you see me placing an order for the cocobolo or goldenrod gunstock, slap me before I give them my payment. Thanks. ::paranoid::)
You know you want one of each, might as well give in to the pressure. ::super_happy::
Larry

Each one, teach one.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

They're getting closer! ::woot:: Take a look at this Rendezvous knife.
Attachments
IMG_5076.jpg
FRONT-.jpg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have 2 of the 44's, a Tidioute with Gabon Ebony and a just received Northfield with cocobolo from our friend Barry, aka "Gunstock Jack". Who else would you buy a Gunstock pattern from but the 'Gunstock ' dude ! I'm giving Barry a plug because he always sends me a really fine example.
These both are simply superb. The attention to finishing detail is seen throughout the knife. GEC deserves the highest compliments for their extraordinarily fine knives.
Tip of clip blade is a sharp point with both blades but this does not show in my pictures.
kj
Attachments
IMGP4759.JPG
IMGP4760.JPG
IMGP4763.JPG
IMGP4766.JPG
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Roland on more than one occasion I have been poised to pull the trigger on that Coccobello but I mustn't as I have two others reserved. ::teary_eyes:: Those are very classical knives. They look great! ::tu:: ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
JET79

Post by JET79 »

Man those look nice KJ!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Greg, if the Stag is slim it will be the best of all. Slim = does not stick out much higher than bolsters, and no underlying white antler shows. I think GEC might be within striking distance of hafting Stag like a 1900 master cutler. Their level of fit & finish has risen so much in last few months and it was already excellent a few months ago.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:Greg, if the Stag is slim it will be the best of all. Slim = does not stick out much higher than bolsters, and no underlying white antler shows. I think GEC might be within striking distance of hafting Stag like a 1900 master cutler. Their level of fit & finish has risen so much in last few months and it was already excellent a few months ago.
kj
I'm hoping you are correct Roland. I'm assuming they will finish up the 44 before the rendezvous and will ship the following week. ::pray::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Seems all of the Stag 44 reservations are full so if you want one it will be the GEC mad scramble at KSF or one of the other dealers who do not do reservations. Good Luck, you will need some.
kj
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

gsmith7158 wrote:Roland on more than one occasion I have been poised to pull the trigger on that Coccobello but I mustn't as I have two others reserved. ::teary_eyes:: Those are very classical knives. They look great! ::tu:: ::tu::
Greg,
You should really pull the trigger on that Cocobolo Gunstock, it may well be the "bell of the ball"! I would love to get one in stag for list price, but that is a no-go I think. I wonder what the list price for the stag will be? What other one do you have on reserve? I love the feel of this knife in my hand. It is a pretty heavy knife, but I like that. I also like Buck 110's.:)
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

I know it is too early to think about GEC's next run of the #44 Gunstock knife. The #44 Gunstock knife pattern has been extremely popular with almost everybody. I had an idea for when GEC does their next run of this pattern, whenever that may be. The knife is called "Gunstock" after all, so on the first style the bolsters would be high polished blued (preferably "Royal Blue") like a Colt Python. The handles would be highly figured American Walnut, Cocobolo, Birdseye Maple, and Sambar Stag. The wood handles would be checkered like a Gunstock.

The second style would have polished nickel silver bolsters replicating nickel guns. The handles would be Gabon Ebony, Goncalo Alves, and Elk Stag. The wood handles would again be checkered like a Gunstock.

It would only have one blade. As for shields, the cartridge could be used again in blued or nickel steel. Or, and I don't know if this would be possible, use actual revolver medallions from S&W, Colt, and Ruger.

Well, what do you folks think of my idea?
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

The master's gotta be a spear.

Other than that, I like your ideas. ::tu::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Does anyone have the Northfield version with Autumn Gold Bone ?
I reserved one and then paid for it Aug 9 but it has not yet been shipped. Are the dealers having trouble getting the bone Northfield 44's ? I thought GEC had finished this run 1-2 weeks ago.
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

kootenay joe wrote:Does anyone have the Northfield version with Autumn Gold Bone ?
I reserved one and then paid for it Aug 9 but it has not yet been shipped. Are the dealers having trouble getting the bone Northfield 44's ? I thought GEC had finished this run 1-2 weeks ago.
kj

Roland, some of the shipments were delayed due to the Rendezvous, you should see something soon I would think, I got mine Monday.
Attachments
IMG_9145.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks John. There was an option of blade finish: satin or 'shiny' ? Which is yours ?
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

kootenay joe wrote:Thanks John. There was an option of blade finish: satin or 'shiny' ? Which is yours ?
kj
Shiny, I like polished on my Northfields.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

John is that a 45-70 trapdoor it is leaning against? Great old gun and a great new knife. ::tu:: ::tu::
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

doglegg wrote:John is that a 45-70 trapdoor it is leaning against? Great old gun and a great new knife. ::tu:: ::tu::
Yes sir, one of the last ones,a ramrod bayonet version,if I remember right the stock cartouche is 1891.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”