Robeson easy opener

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
knife-nut

Robeson easy opener

Post by knife-nut »

I want to show my large Robeson easy opener. 5” long closed. 9” long open. A little bit too large to carry in your pocket comfortably. Beautiful worm groove bone. Great snap. :D
Attachments
5669A2CC-5F43-4DC8-925E-F498D2851EEC.jpeg
9CA0AF4B-B54A-444F-AAB2-C2B09D0E222A.jpeg
RobesonsRme.com

Re: Robeson easy opener

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Beautiful rare knife. Thanks for posting here. ::tu::

They made that pattern as a Terrier, too, so the knives probably date 1910 - 1916 or so.

I have this big five inch Terrier. It has the same pattern number as knives such as yours, but different blades. I'm quite sure these blades are original to the knife.

Charlie
Attachments
Terrier EZ Opener 1.jpg
Terrier EZ Opener 2.jpg
Terrier EZ Opener 3.jpg
Terrier EZ Opener 4.jpg
Terrier EZ Opener 5.jpg
Terrier EZ Opener 6.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
BWT

Post by BWT »

Nice Charlie, always enjoy looking at your Terriers!! That is one nice knife ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

That hawkbill blade sure surprised me. I don’t think I have ever seen that combination before.
BWT

Post by BWT »

knife-nut wrote:I want to show my large Robeson easy opener. 5” long closed. 9” long open. A little bit too large to carry in your pocket comfortably. Beautiful worm groove bone. Great snap. :D
That's a good looking knife, very impressive ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

I really Dig Those ,I Didn't know how rare they were thou. To Very Fine examples .Thx 4 Posting ::tu:: __ Joe
RobesonsRme.com

When there used to be multiple large, well attended NKCA Knife Shows, you might see a knife like the OP knife every once in a while, but they were always just about used up. The long pen blade was especially prone to being way down.

Joe Seale wrote an article for KnifeWorld Magazine years ago about one such knife that was in fantastic condition. It had a leather thong through the hole. I have no idea what happened to that knife.

The Terrier I posted came out of Mr. Seale's collection after he passed away. Tony Foster bought it and sold it to the man from whom I obtained it.

It is the only such knife I have ever seen, Terrier or Robeson.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Very Interesting story there Charlie ::tu:: I like provenance ,The Sacrificial pen blade makes perfect cents on such a Large design . Examples with a Leather Punch Instead of the pen would no doubt have faired better :roll: I think there are the ultimate pocket Knife , Perhaps they were part of the display sample trend of the early period ,Seeing How They sure do get Noticed when they present them selfs :mrgreen: _-K.C.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Very nice all those knives. Big fan of Robeson’s myself. Charlie, Any idea how many they would have made of that one w/ the hawksbill? Love that set up, you don’t see a hawksbill and a smaller blade together very often. Very nice set up.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
RobesonsRme.com

I'm completely clueless on that question. They didn't even change the pattern number on the hawkbill/sheepsfoot knife. Ordinarily, such a departure from an established pattern would have warranted a change of number or an added numerical suffix, although that practice might not have started until later. We are talking about knives made in the mid-teens.

The one I have is the only one I've ever seen or heard about.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”