GEC Auctions of Note

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
knowtracks

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Post by knowtracks »

I don't speak no Flathead ya know!
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

In the current mad-barlow market that one might have been a bargain. I don't know the totals made, but you had to be at the OKCA show to pick that one up. "Soup bone, clip point, long pull are 3 of the most desired traits of the TC series.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here are 2 more high dollar GEC's.
A #72 from 2012 for $370
But this one takes the cake: a #77 from 2015 for ---- $494 ! basically $500 for a #77 Barlow. I wished i would have known this back in 2015.
kj
Attachments
s-l1600 (22).jpg
s-l1600 (23).jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Northwoods Scagel large Barlow: $521.42
I sold one of these with equivalent Stag about 2 1/2 years ago for $80 in an ebay auction.
kj
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:Northwoods Scagel large Barlow: $521.42
I sold one of these with equivalent Stag about 2 1/2 years ago for $80 in an ebay auction.
kj
Roland I saw this scagel and went to KSF to look through the archives. Derek had two similar to this ,one was a 2010 custom and the other was I believe a 2011. They were for sale $350 each but they are gone now.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

852112, E.O. Northfield with super ugly bone handles, sold ! for only $586.
Blade is also ugly due to "Prototype" covering most of blade surface.
Those of us who have been collecting for longer than GEC has been around are jaded as to significance of "prototype" thanks to the multitude of Parker Prototypes. I see "Prototype" as lowering the value of a GEC as i would rather have an example from the run of knives.
kj
Attachments
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I'm starting to suspect shenanigans. I don't know enough about the ebay seller checks to say HOW it's being done, but I can come up with a few likely ways in which a seller or accomplice(s) can bot-up the price when a legitimate buyer is "on the hook" and run a zero-risk all-reward proposition where either the buyer wins and pays an exorbitant amount or a "bot" wins and no money exchanges hands.

I wonder if ebay has algorithms looking for "sold" listings -> new listings afterwards. Probably not, because it doesn't help the Bottom Line. ::disgust::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

There is a Fayette Jack in giraffe at $610 with ~18 hours to go.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow. Please be sure to post final price. At $610 it is already the 'Top Giraffe'.
kj
knowtracks

Post by knowtracks »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Eastern- ... 1438.l2649
Another TC, from the 1st run I believe

Dave
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Dave is referring to "Tidioute Cutlery 151112 Sawyer Barlow knife, Antique Amber" which just sold for only $458.
kj
knowtracks

Post by knowtracks »

Yes that is the knife Rolan, except that the seller has it in the wrong tube.....or at least the wrong label on the top. It is a Copperhead not an Antique Amber...still it brought a pretty penny! :)

Dave
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Dave, does the handle material make much difference in today's selling prices for the 2012 #15 Barlow pattern knives ?
kj
knowtracks

Post by knowtracks »

Not really Rolan! It all depends on what the customer is looking for to complete his collection. The Antique Amber was only made with a single blade. The rest of the cover choices were made in both 1 and 2 blades. The more scarce in a single blade is the Antique Yellow with 20 made. The 2 blade Copperhead had only 5 made! :shock:
The 2 blade knives are a little harder to come by because there were less made than the single blade versions. But none of them come up for sale often!

Dave
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Dave. I appreciate these details because i want to understand why some of these patterns are so sought after. Seems to me it is Barlow patterns on a 15 or 77 frame that are in hot demand ?
kj
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Those first 15 barlows are proving to be the real awakening of the GEC brand. They actually sat around a bit. I purchased a 2 blade but was sent a single in error. The dealer offered me the single at cost and sent the 2 blade to me. Shortly after they dried up, wtt and wtb ads for them began appearing. Soon people were asking exorbitant amounts, $100, then $110, $120 and it was tempting but I abhor selling so I have 2 of these special knives.
Prior to the 15 barlows, Queen's Dan Burke medium barlow was a popular and innovative knife. But Charlie brought back stamped bolsters, GEC ground the blades thin with fantastic swedges and the 15 barlow turned into a smash hit with we enthusiasts.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The #15 with regular bolsters does not get much over original price. Do these have the same blades as you describe for the #15 Barlow ? So the only difference is length of the bolsters ?
kj
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Generally speaking that is true, although clip and spear from previous runs tend to bring in a modest premium nit. This runs barlow is a cool odd duck in that its made to look like a 100+ years old user. Seems to be selling for double or more vs the $140 list price consistently across the web.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Screenshot_2018-06-28-22-41-00.png
Yikes.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

YIKES !! And the 2011 Whaler does not have the double pull.
Sunfish/Toenail knives have long been one of the most expensive patterns but i doubt the GEC #45 & 46 patterns will bring close to $1,000 in a few years time. However my knife prediction bats about 50%. Maybe i should just flip a coin ?
kj
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Just saw a 2016 TC Peach Seed Jig TC Barlow sell for $430.00 on the Bay :shock:
Keep in mind that there were almost 500 of those made. That's crazy since a 2015 Copperhead Pick Bone TC New Day sold for over $100 less and only 67 of it were made. ::shrug::
-Tim
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

The peach seed clip is one of the finest TC Barlow's but I don't understand that one selling at that price as it's used. I enjoy this sellers writeups as he "mods" his knives and gets more than the pristine ones. This one was "hand rubbed" to remove the etch and sharpened. Good for him making monry, but leaves me scratching my head when the last 3 of that model sold for 380, 230 and 230.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Screenshot_20181116-092420.png
Aye carumba!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Wow!!!! :shock:
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

robbobus wrote:Aye carumba!
You'll be seeing that one relisted (probably with an obscene BIN that is still not as high as the "selling price" of the completed auction) within the month.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”