Any GEC But Only 1, Forever

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

Re: Any GEC But Only 1, Forever

Post by kootenay joe »

There is a Whittler & a "Texas Stock Knife" also made on this 4 7/8" frame at the same time in 2016. All 3 patterns sat around on dealer's shelves for at least 6 months. I think prices were about $130-$180 ?? Now if you see one of the Camp knives like mine the owner is either keeping it or wants too much $$ for it. It took over a year for these to catch on with collectors.
There is a Camillus Bullet repro that is almost as large and is also a very good knife and you can pick up one of these for as low as $50 for the Delrin one. Spend a bit more and get the "Silver Bullet" with jigged bone and you have close to the GEC Texas Camp Knife for a fraction of the cost.
kj
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

The 98 Texas Camp knife came in several handle and shield configurations. Here is a smooth white bone example. It is more of an off-white and seems to be mellowing more toward light yellow as it ages.

For reference, pictures of the 3 blade Cattle and Whittler patterns are included. There were several other handles available on these, too. The red linen micarta is in my EDC rotation.

I have not paid attention to any recent eBay auctions for these, however my recollection is that approximately $200 for the 3 blade versions was top of the market. My recollection is that approximately $300 was approximately top of market for the Camp knives. So a listing for $700 or more seems unrealistic (until it happens :) ).
Attachments
GEC 98 Texas Camp Northfield Smooth White Bone
GEC 98 Texas Camp Northfield Smooth White Bone
GEC 98 Texas Cattle Campagna SFO
GEC 98 Texas Cattle Campagna SFO
GEC 98 Texas Cattle Northfield
GEC 98 Texas Cattle Northfield
GEC 98 Texas Cattle Tidioute Red Linen Micarta
GEC 98 Texas Cattle Tidioute Red Linen Micarta
GEC 98 Texas Whittler Northfield
GEC 98 Texas Whittler Northfield
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Those are all OUTSTANDING ! Thank you for posting these beauties. The Camp Knife with smooth bone has me wanting it ! I am now on the lookout.
kj
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

I'm a little late, but I had been thinking of a 98 just a day or so before KJ revealed his choice. True story. Too bad I passed on the chance to get a 98 cattle knife at a fairly reasonable price. Early in the year I told myself that if it was still available by my birthday in March, I was going to get it. Well, I didn't get it and now it's gone. But it didn't have the bail like KJ's camp knife version, and the jigged bone is truly classic.

Ralph, as always, nice pics! At least one of us gets to EDC that red micarta 98!

Lee
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Here's a Texas Cattle Knife in Kingwood for a more reasonable price. I suspect it won't last long.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/gec ... 5.1602950/
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Yes my Texas Camp knife is beautiful & impressive, but did you see the one in smooth white/yellow bone ? Man, i want that one too.
Why is it i never seem satisfied enough to never want another knife ?
kj
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

SFO American Whittler 1 of 50 GEC#97 Antique Yellow bone Coke bottle knife ! This is my favorite folder knife.
169H4as.jpg
BAX229

Post by BAX229 »

Onearmbladejunkie wrote:SFO American Whittler 1 of 50 GEC#97 Antique Yellow bone Coke bottle knife ! This is my favorite folder knife. 169H4as.jpg
I agree, 97 all the way.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Forever. pocket carry or find the right belt sheath ?
I would want a belt sheath if i was going to carry this one daily.
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I'm glad that I don't actually have to only carry one knife forever and it's confined to gec, but I'll play along for fun. The choice would be easy.
IMG_5048.JPG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Onearmbladejunkie

kootenay joe wrote:Forever. pocket carry or find the right belt sheath ?
kj
I just bought a large GEC leather belt sheath. The #97 Allegheny knife fits wonderful in this sheath. The police don't mind a big sheath on your hip , but police don't like big knives in the pocket. This sheath is beautiful.
gec-3-1024x756.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

Onearmbladejunkie wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:Forever. pocket carry or find the right belt sheath ?
kj
I just bought a large GEC leather belt sheath. The #97 Allegheny knife fits wonderful in this sheath. The police don't mind a big sheath on your hip , but police don't like big knives in the pocket. This sheath is beautiful. gec-3-1024x756.jpg
516_sheaths1.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

I almost forgot , I bought both and the new #12 aqua Camel bone with the two sheaths. "free shipping"
GE128119AC-1-600x450.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for showing the GEC sheaths. They look great and being the correct size, it is the sheath you need to EDC a 97 in comfort. I did not know about these sheaths.
kj
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

That's easy for me. After selling off my entire GEC collection of about 75 I kept one that is as important as any knife I own. A 73 drop point in stag.
Attachments
IMG_7521.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Oh Wow ! Is that #73 ever a standout ! Great stag, most useful of all blade profiles = Superb knife. Every one of your knives is a total 'home run", outta the park.
kj
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

kootenay joe wrote:Oh Wow ! Is that #73 ever a standout ! Great stag, most useful of all blade profiles = Superb knife. Every one of your knives is a total 'home run, outta the park.
kj
Thank you sir.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"Thank you sir"
You are welcome. I am not saying how incredibly fine your knives are just to be polite. I am truly 'moved' by the knives you post.
If you have one that is more 'average', you have not posted it yet.
I try for 'special' knives but most i end up with are very nice but not an outstanding example. Somehow you are able to score "outstanding" with every knife you buy.
kj
joeradza
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by joeradza »

The thank you stands Roland because all my knives are special. From the least expensive beater to the most pristine custom. Some are just more special than others.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”