Canal Street Value

Former Schrade President Walley Gardner and principal Joe Hufnagel joined with nine master cutlers to form a group of US craftsmen with over 300 years of combined knife making experience to create Canal Street Cutlery. It was first located in upstate New York where a long and rich tradition of quality knife making dates back to the 19th century. Unfortunately, the company closed its doors in 2015, but not before making some great knives. The brand was resurrected in 2018 as Canal Street Cutlery Co-Op & focused on making very small batches of high quality traditional knives. As a Co-Op, it was owned by the knife makers who worked there. Unfortunately, the business model couldn't hold up & the entity again ceased production.
drm1017

Canal Street Value

Post by drm1017 »

Have Canal Street knives appreciated much in value since the factory has closed? I have some slipjoints that might be looking for a new home.
Thanks,
Randy
Randy
As you slide down the banisters of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.
WillClinger

Re: Canal Street Value

Post by WillClinger »

I know I appreciate my CSC knives even more since the closing, and I was an enthusiastic booster of CSC even before.

Now that no more new ones are being made, I'm much less inclined to give them as gifts or to use the backups and other pristine knives in my modest collection. Beginning with the last year of production, as I began to realize they were becoming harder to find, I began to purchase CSC knives I had no intention of using or giving away, making the transition from user and giver to small-time collector.

If you're asking about monetary value, I can't answer your question. The marketplace determines that, and the market is fickle.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Randy I've been following Canal Street knives on ebay for the past few years. I don't think there's any doubt that the prices on many models has gone up significantly. I saw a swell centered jack sell recently for just over $230. It was the same knife I'd paid just about $100 for just a few years back. There are numerous other similar examples.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
titanNV

Post by titanNV »

Some are up 50% or more.
So, I would say yes they are commanding a nice premium over what they used to sell for.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Randy,

I do not believe that the prices are going up on canal street knives....in fact you should probably unload your knives quickly before they depreciate too much....SOoooo What have you got to sell there???? ::sneaky::

JUST KIDDING, JUST KIDDING.....as Phil stated they are rising in cost because everyone knows that the factory has closed and they are currently not being made. I grab up the ones that tickle my fancy any chance I get and I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 350-400 of those gems. I was very fortunate to be able to purchase quite a few of their Prototypes as well as several knives that there were only 1 or two produced to see if they were a viable option to produce in larger quantities.

I used to visit the factory every time I got to NY which was usually 2-4 times a year. Now when I drive by there and the Old Schrade factory I get a tear in my eyes.

If you are interested in selling some CSC knives...I may be interested in buying. Send me an email or PM.

Tom
REDTROUT

Post by REDTROUT »

i have had a medical problem and was in care snice the picture is for mr chase
Attachments
DSC_0003 (2).JPG
DSC_0003 (2).JPG
DSC_0001 (1).JPG
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Richard,

you know I have to have that knife....please feel free to contact me via PM or email to discuss!!!!!!!

Tom
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Chase wrote:I was very fortunate to be able to purchase quite a few of their Prototypes as well as several knives that there were only 1 or two produced to see if they were a viable option to produce in larger quantities.
Tom
Tom,
Being a newbie, I was wondering how to go about getting the chance to buy those knives. Thanks.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Larry,

I have a serious addiction to knives....to the tune of approximately 3500 knives in my collection with the majority of them being Schrade USA, Canal Street and "NEW" Maher & Grosh

My addiction is that I only BUY knives...I DON'T sell any, sorry!

Tom
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Chase wrote:Larry,

I have a serious addiction to knives....to the tune of approximately 3500 knives in my collection with the majority of them being Schrade USA, Canal Street and "NEW" Maher & Grosh

My addiction is that I only BUY knives...I DON'T sell any, sorry!

Tom
Tom,
Apparently I wasn't clear, I wasn't trying to buy your knives (but I'm sure you have a ton I would be interested in:)), I was trying to find out how you were able to buy prototypes. Are these auction purchases or is there another way that I could look into? Thanks.
Larry

BTW, wow 3500 knives! I would love to see your collection!!!
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Redhillcutlery will be having the new Canal Street Co-Op knives..they may not be marked Prototype but they will be the first batch of new CS knives go grab one for preorder!
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I misunderstood you then, I apologize. I am very fortunate to know Wally Gardiner, owner of Canal Street and I always stopped in to the factory whenever I was in town.

Occasionally Wally would open the safe and I was able to buy a few special knives from him. Once they announced that they were going to close the factory doors, I made a special trip to go through the contents of the safe with Wally. I was able to purchase a lot of his one of a kind knives, ones that were never reproduced.

My relationship with the folks at Canal Street enabled me to purchase prototypes on a regular basis as well.

Occasionally a prototype will come up fir sale on ebay, however, not often.

Wally is restarting Canal Street as a co-op and producing knives for Red Hill Cutlery.

Tom
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Tom,
Thanks for the information. I bet your are very happy they are starting back up again.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.

Return to “Canal Street Cutlery”